What did you work on Today; Home Edition

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I think @Stephen is talking more about how you obtained your wife.;)X-D

I got her all the way back in high school. We were together my entire senior year, plus the summer after. In the fall, I left Ohio and she did not... so life took us in different directions for almost 30 years. We re-connected (through a mutual friend) just as my ex was starting the divorce process in 2017. After a few years of staying in touch plus the occasional brief visit, a long visit in Sept 2021 showed us both that we wanted to be together.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Lights, camera, action!

2EE93B27-0F92-4A5D-80B9-5EFD06009257.jpeg
It was almost completely pitch black outside before the lights got turned on for this photo. Four of the street lights in the middle and two smaller leds that we picked up awhile ago and installed but never finished. They don’t do much so I’m glad we didn’t stay with them. I still have the two more street lights to mount on a homemade bull horn to at will shine out in the parking area on a motion sensor. I’m sure the neighbors will love those.
Guess “too dark to work” won’t fly anymore.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
We are finishing a portion of our basement for a vacation rental. Plumber wanted $1600 to cut and remove the concrete Then fill it back in. I told them no thanks. I am into it about $200 in rental fees and my time. Now they can do their part of adding drains for the kitchen sink and laundry. And we will fill it back in with dirt and concrete. View attachment 151979View attachment 151980
How do you ensure the new concrete bonds water-tight to the existing concrete? and do you drill and epoxy in rebar or something so the new concrete is actually attached?

Coco

After what felt like an eternity, a couple weeks ago we finally got our baseboards and I got them installed. This was prior to filling the seems and caulking the tops, but I couldn't believe how much of a difference the LVP floors and the modern baseboards changed the look of our main level.

Now I just need to either build some railings, or get some made and installed.

68331770995--DBD5303F-7C9D-476E-926A-CF98CFC8A97B.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Being the conformist that I have morphed into recently, I decided to put soffit and facia on my garage. I'm still not going to get the building permit closed (been open since 2008 and PG city can come after my kids for it once I'm dead!). I got the east side that faces my yard finished a few weeks ago. I nearly finished the north side yesterday. Now the south and west that I can't see from my house might take me another 10 years.

Pike2350

Being the conformist that I have morphed into recently, I decided to put soffit and facia on my garage. I'm still not going to get the building permit closed (been open since 2008 and PG city can come after my kids for it once I'm dead!). I got the east side that faces my yard finished a few weeks ago. I nearly finished the north side yesterday. Now the south and west that I can't see from my house might take me another 10 years.
What's the point of not closing it out? I assume you already paid the fees? Did you not follow the plan nor get the stage inspections?

I don't know what they used in linoleum glue back in the 60's or 70's but I spent about 5 hours scrapping a 25sf floor my long running bathroom project. The previous remodel in the 80's layer the tile over the top of the residue & backing of the linoleum that must not have come up. The tile never stuck well and you could hear hollow spots...and the tile pulled up easily. Since I had the move the toilet I already have to put floor leveler down and knew it wouldn't stick if I didn't scrape it. Man what a PIA.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
What's the point of not closing it out? I assume you already paid the fees? Did you not follow the plan nor get the stage inspections?
I already paid the fees and followed the plan. It's a principle thing, and I'm an ass. The city has been difficult to deal with from the start of the project. I went 6 months without it being inspected and the city called to see if it was complete. The lady on the phone was a total bitch when I asked what was required of an out building to be signed off. It was roofed, sided and had doors and windows, just no floor yet. So now, I'll let the incompetent twits sit on my open permit for another decade or two. My goal is to have the longest open building permit in city history. When they finally catch their mistake (if they do) I'll just tell them it's been finished for 20 years and no one that was there when I built it will still work there so they will just close it. Like I said, I'm just an ornery old ass.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Finished the lighting today. Got the bullbar built and mounted the last two street lights. They are run through photo sensors and a motion sensor so the light switch can just be left on all the time. The motion sensor is junk though. The specs said 75 feet and 180* but it’s no where near 75’. Maybe 20. They time out after one minute and shut off. If anyone knows of a really good motion sensor with more range I’d love to hear about it.

C3D38F77-BAA0-49C2-9840-B4E3BB05279E.jpeg8FE92B66-40FE-4D60-AB10-A129F9AA3ADF.jpeg

Corban_White

Here's a really good motion sensor....but the last time I bought some they were ~$650 each. Probably a bit overkill for turning on lights.

Pike2350

I have been busting my ass the last week to get the long, drawn out bathroom/termite remodel back to functional. Ran into a couple of stupid issues in the final minutes and didn't get the sink done....but the toilet is in. Very annoyed about this. The toilet has been kicking around my house for 6 years. For some reason, my in-law's bought us 2 new toilets when we moved in, assuming we would replace the old ones. No idea why, but oh well. This one sat in the box since we got it (basic brown box with no pics) Finally pull it out and it's a round bowl, not an elongated bowl like the other one (went into the master bathroom build a few years ago) So now I get to replace the toilet as well in the near future.

Also, the room is small and I had to order a shallow depth vanity from Wayfair.....IMHO, it's still not shallow enough. Luckily, they lost one in transit and sent a 2nd....well they both showed up and they said to keep it. So I am going to mess with cutting it down another 2-3" to fit inside the door trim...but I am worried about cutting the quartz countertop...but I'll give a it go.

Anyway, all that talk. Tuesday I painted the ceiling and set the crack isolation membrane after addressing the out of level floor (mentioned the 5 hours spent on the glue residue in a previous post) on Monday. Wed I painted the walls and started tiling the floor. This took through Thursday due to it being too late to cut and grind the tiles. Friday, I grouted the floor, Saturday I cleaned up, did trim, installed the lights, shutters, toilet, sink (for the most part) and then had to clean for the party.
1663604923172.png

1663604936626.png
1663604971581.png

I have some touch up on the mudding to do and then I can waterproof the shower and start tiling that.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I had a spring break on my garage door to my detached garage. I didn’t realize it was broken until it stripped the gears on my screw drive opener last week. I got a bid for a new opener and springs. He quoted me just shy of $800. A bit more than the $500 I paid a few years ago on a different garage, but I figured that was reasonable in today’s market. Then he showed up here and apparently didn’t read my text to him that I needed springs also. He then wanted $1200. I said no.
I jumped on KSL and found an opener listed near by. It turns out the guy lives three doors down from me, so that was easy. And then I ordered some new springs online.
$210 later I am up and running, and the belt drive motor is significantly quieter than the last screwdriver motor. Also my openers are now the same brand so I can go back to just one remote 😁
I know many of you will never convert to the true gospel, but being able to work right off of the flatbed made things super easy for me.
E86B6E8D-67FB-43F3-B9E6-9D5A717C6A78.jpeg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have been putting this off as long as I could but garage doors are getting installed next weekend. The downside to the ICF’s is the need to cut out for the garage door track. This was the messiest PIA and I have an inch of concrete dust over everything.
45A31495-0E6F-4DA7-A9D8-3B2EAF6ABEB8.jpeg