General Tech What did you work on Today?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My mother in law decided to total her Escape last night.

11D59AE9-F1CF-428A-8A1D-2E22C64B5BAD.jpeg

This is a bummer for her, as money isn't super available.. and this has been a great car. We built some drawers in the back for camping supplies,
and it tows the little tear drop camper we made for her very well.
It blew an engine a few years ago, and we spent that thanksgiving putting a new one in. We thought it would be around for a while longer.
On Sunday I placed an order on Rock Auto for some additional parts to give it a fresh tune up and love.. so I guess those will have to go back now 🤦‍♂️

Grandpa (in law) bought this Audi new back in '89. They can't drive any more and haven't driven it in about 7 years. I think the last time is was used was when we were swapping the motor in the Escape. The tires and battery were brand new then, and the battery was stamped Sept '19. It was completely dead. I spent a couple hours getting it pulled out, tires aired up, and a fresh battery in it. She fired up and ran quite well, surprisingly.

8F95286F-FD2E-493E-9ADC-33B2BCBA00F9.jpeg

We went inside to say goodbye's and finish up getting it insured. About 10 minutes later I came out and the headlights had dimmed and the battery warning light was on. Alternator has failed :(
At this point I wanted the car at my house, in a shop, with real tools. I figured I could keep the revs up (manual trans) and get it home at least. No can do. Made it about a mile before it wouldn't run. Jumped it, let it charge for a bit, and headed back to grandpas. I rolled into the neighborhood with some speed as the car shut off again.. and luckily had enough momentum to park right back in it's spot.
Decided that this car is a no go for occasional borrowing anymore. Sad day, as it has been a family staple.

Best part of all of it, Grandma has dementia, and was PISSED that my mother in law was taking their car. She was saying all kinds of rude things and cussing us out. She wanted the car so she can run some errands. At the end of the night, we gave her car back to her. Good luck with those errands :rofl:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It doubtful that the manufacturer would share their destructive testing data with you, but if they did you’d just throw that sucker back in and keep doing your thing. Sure, get a replacement coming and swap out when convenient, but this isn’t as catastrophic as one may think.
It's always been my experience that they snap soon after they twist. Looks like I can get a G2 shaft for $97, so...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’ve had shafts with more twist than that last a surprising amount of time- in competition setting no less. Be cautious with cheap alloy shafts, I broke two cheap alloys in my 8.25 and have never broken a stock shaft. It’s weird.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
OK, the next best shaft. You know, the ones that aren't $1,800. 😬 This is my Barbie Jeep now. Britney gets the hard-core shit from now on. Well, as hard core as I can swing.
I pretty much do yukon everything. Its hard to argue with there prices and there willingness to stand beehind product

crosbike

Built this shelf after getting some inspiration on here, ill probably carry it over the top of the garage door down the road. 20220308_085533.jpg
I bought my old comanche back last fall after it got rolled by the previous owner. Listed it for sale for like 1 hour and found a good comanche to swap everything over to in payson so the swap is underway.

new rig, solid everywhere, no floorpan rot and even a rear dana 44. Going to keep ot a lot milder with no cage or tons of frame plating.
20220310_151442.jpg

Attachments

• 20220310_151455.jpg
    20220310_151455.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 18

crosbike

Moved my Mill into almost final position. Gotta get the motor for it some new bearings and power run out to the shed. A totally impulse purchase tool that i had no intention of ever buying but the price was right.
20220312_132804.jpg
Yanked the dash out of the new mj. Hopefully yanking the rear axle out tomorrow night and then ill rip the trussed and geared one off the donor and start installing.20220312_132915.jpg
20220312_132920.jpg20220312_132928.jpg

NYCEGUY01

Ive been driving my little ls swapped gmc around town for 200 miles or so the last couple weeks and continuing to check off little items off the list one at a time.

Tried to take it to breakfast and it ran like crap. Would barely get out of its own way and ran super rough above idle.

Pulled it in the garage and checked codes and all the connections. All good. Not even a code ?

Hooked up the gauge and dammit. 30psi and i literally filled it up last night.

Jacked it up on stands and climbed under it and checked again before the filter. Damn. Still 30 psi.

Stuck the line in a fuel jug and jumped the relay and although slow, i got all the fuel pumped out. I was not thrilled about the ac delco pump dying after 200 miles. Ive used a bunch of these ep-381 pumps and had great luck before.

Once i got it all apart I found the damn 2" fuel hose split wide open.

3" of new hi pressure hose and 2 clamps and it all went back together. 60psi at last. Lol

I decided to just leave it up on jackstands as the new wheels and tires should be here this week and i may as well put them on before it hits the ground. Lol

I still need to swap the torque converter ( the stockn one is SUPER tight and i hate it. Lol )

As soon as Mike gets an opening its going in for gears and a Truetrac install.
One leg burnouts are just lame.

20220313_152129.jpg20220313_152044.jpg