General Tech What did you work on Today?

NYCEGUY01

Found a deal on this old Drill Press. Finally replaced my crappy benchtop model thats too fast with something more substantial.
Then spent 4hrs remounting the motor, finding the correct length belt, tapping stripped holes and re-mounting the sheetmetal.

Its running perfect and smooth now.
Just for fun I drilled a 1/2" hole in a a 1/2" plate.
I have no idea why I didnt upgrade ears ago.

p1.jpg

STAG

On my grind
Needed to add a hole in the firewall of the gladiator so I could add an additional switch pod to the interior for controlling more electrical circuits. Will likely also use this pass-thru for a communications radio system too in the near future. (CB or similar)

Removed the front passenger wheel and fender liner. I chose the passenger side because that’s closest to the battery.
B1BBF332-0D15-4568-A9D1-06F54ABD79D1.jpeg

Found a spot that’s clear on both sides and drilled it with a 1.25” hole saw. Then added a bit of POR15 to the sawcut edge to help keep rust at bay. I’ll also silicone the ridge of the pass-through to further help mitigate any water ingress.

Hole will be filled with one of these generic rubber pass-thru boots and then I can run my wires though there and reinstall the fender liner.

44CC5663-F181-4844-8EAA-3024097D3AAD.jpeg

STAG

On my grind
For a project I’m working on I needed some of that 3/8” plated copper tubing, the kind that comes in a rolled up coil.

I tried to get it “as straight as possible” by hand and although I could get it 90% straight I just couldn’t really get that last 10% so I hopped on Amazon and bought one of the tube-straightener tools for $40.

8071419D-8683-49DE-B4C1-6C5A977F89DD.jpeg
When it arrived I quickly realized that it wasn’t really going to do me any much good at all. It maybe took my tubing from 90% straight to 91% but as it sat, that tool was a waste of a purchase.

Instead of returning the tool, I decided to 3D print up a different body for it that would utilize the 16 rollers that came inside the Amazon straightener, and after I figured out the proper spacing between the two rolls of rollers I 3D printed a new straightener tool in PETG filament and this thing is surprisingly rigid and worked waaay better than the Amazon one. I would say it took the tubing to 99% straight but honestly this tubing is soft enough that even at 100% straight it would easily slightly bend again just by handling it.

I’m happy enough with the straightness of the tubing now for what I need it for.

If anyone needs to borrow it for anything, brake lines, air lines, water etc, LMK.

After
F3B0E23F-3A52-4AF0-9881-26837F9CB79D.jpeg

NYCEGUY01

For a project I’m working on I needed some of that 3/8” plated copper tubing, the kind that comes in a rolled up coil.

I tried to get it “as straight as possible” by hand and although I could get it 90% straight I just couldn’t really get that last 10% so I hopped on Amazon and bought one of the tube-straightener tools for $40.

View attachment 163577
When it arrived I quickly realized that it wasn’t really going to do me any much good at all. It maybe took my tubing from 90% straight to 91% but as it sat, that tool was a waste of a purchase.

Instead of returning the tool, I decided to 3D print up a different body for it that would utilize the 16 rollers that came inside the Amazon straightener, and after I figured out the proper spacing between the two rolls of rollers I 3D printed a new straightener tool in PETG filament and this thing is surprisingly rigid and worked waaay better than the Amazon one. I would say it took the tubing to 99% straight but honestly this tubing is soft enough that even at 100% straight it would easily slightly bend again just by handling it.

I’m happy enough with the straightness of the tubing now for what I need it for.

If anyone needs to borrow it for anything, brake lines, air lines, water etc, LMK.

After
View attachment 163578
I bought one of those in 3/16 for brake line and another one in 3/8 and it worked great I felt.
I only used aluminum tube in the 3/8 for fuel line though.
The 3/16 one worked well for the roll of brake line I used, I did buy Nicop which is easier to bend though.

STAG

On my grind
I bought one of those in 3/16 for brake line and another one in 3/8 and it worked great I felt.
I only used aluminum tube in the 3/8 for fuel line though.
The 3/16 one worked well for the roll of brake line I used, I did buy Nicop which is easier to bend though.
The one I got I feel like wasn’t physically long enough of a tool in order to get the smaller bends out. It was only about 6” long so the minor bends seemed to just kind of pass through it and not be straightened. That and the tubing wasn’t as tight of a fit inside the tool as I think it should have been.

This is supposedly the nickel plated copper tubing too and yeah it’s definitely easy to bend. I got it from Hose and Rubber in Provo and I guess I expected it to look more nickel-y but it should work fine.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Work threw this little guy in the trash almost a year ago and I forgot I had grabbed it squirreled ut away. Apparently "it won't hold a blade on anymore and Indialantic throws it when you start cutting"

20230903_170815.jpg

I thought today I would make time and time it up a little. I put a new 64 1/2" x 1/2" 24 tooth blade on, tensioned it and tried to cut a piece of 1/2 x .065 square tube. After about 10 inches of blade had run across the tube it flipped off. I had noticed it had a lot of oily aluminum shavings around the fence and in the lower pulley area.

20230903_170829.jpg

I cleaned that all up with degreaser, double checked all of the motor mounting bolts and the drive belt tension. While checking the mirror mount bolts I noticed the tensioning swing plate was a little twisted. I straightened it out in the vise and then put actual nut on the two pivot bolts to reinforce the threaded sheet metal.

After that I fired it up and it cut a few different pieces without any issue. Score free horizontal for her low cost of a blade and some elbow grease. Only thing left is a new knob for adjusting the cut width.

Attachments

• 20230903_170823.jpg
    20230903_170823.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 5

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Got my new #linglong tires mounted up. Hoping to get more than the 30,000 miles I’ve got out of the last 2 sets of coopers.
IMG_5076.jpeg

jeeper

I got the first one of these machines going.
The last registration expired in 2010. I was blown away at how clean the air filter was when I started pulling things apart. Some of the other things I’ve seen make me think this guy was a pretty good maintainer of his stuff. For example, he gave me all of their helmets, still in the original boxes from 2004.
I am going to give it an oil change, and bleed the rear brake… But hopefully should be able to get it listed for sale soon.

IMG_5072.jpeg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I got the first one of these machines going.
The last registration expired in 2010. I was blown away at how clean the air filter was when I started pulling things apart. Some of the other things I’ve seen make me think this guy was a pretty good maintainer of his stuff. For example, he gave me all of their helmets, still in the original boxes from 2004.
I am going to give it an oil change, and bleed the rear brake… But hopefully should be able to get it listed for sale soon.

View attachment 163622
Are all of them 330's? I need a lathe 4 wheeler for the races, but would want something a little bigger.

jeeper

Oil change on the street bike ✅

Washed my trash cans finally. They’ve been utterly disgusting for a year or two. I know it doesn’t look like much, but they smell clean and aren’t black with goo anymore.

IMG_5082.jpeg

Got the other two quads running. Brakes bled on all 3. The yellows both run great. The blue has a cracked fuel line I need to replace.
Waiting for one more new battery and the oil filters to show up still.

IMG_5081.jpeg

Last edited: