General Tech What did you work on Today?

STAG

On my grind
Finished wiring up these slider lights that I had bought when I was in Connecticut. They do a strobe mode when the 4-way hazard lights get activated. They also just blink the amber light when the blinker for that side is turned on but I’m thinking of disabling that and just having them be marker lights and the strobes only. I haven’t decided yet.
4CC862AC-351F-42A3-85A3-1D9B9010C8EF.jpeg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
My 211k '97 4Runner had developed a slight intermittent buck, mild misfire feeling when going up hill under moderate load. It never set a code or flashed a CEL. I cleaned the MAF, gave it a LOF and swapped the fuel filter. Nothing improved but the other day after coasting downhill and quickly accelerating into traffic it fell on its face and would only regain speed if I feathered the throttle. I think I've got it narrowed down to a failing TPS. The resolution on the ScanGauge II is not great but the DVOM shows some opens during the sweep. I can't imagine how many times the little wipers in the TPS have gone back and forth.
View attachment 162568View attachment 162569

Very nice and clean vehicle for 211k miles and 26 years. Very commendable.

As for testing the TPS, I've found DVOM's to be hard to get a good read with unless the open in the circuit is apparent over a wide range of motion. I've found using a DSO (scope) to be a much more repeatable and reliable way of testing compared to a digital meter.

STAG

On my grind
I had some Baja Design rock lights that were bought for a certain yellow Jeep but it turns out they sent red rock lights instead of yellow ones, so instead of sending them back I kept the red ones with the intent of doing this mod, and I finally got around to it tonight.

I mounted them under the bed at the very back, 2 on each corner. Each corner wired to a blinker, so that when the blinkers or brakes are activated, a whole lot of extra signal/brake light is illuminated on the ground just behind the Jeep. Don’t want someone to say they couldn’t see my brake lights! If you notice too you’ll see I deactivated the blinker function on the amber slider-lights.

I’ll probably try to rotate the red rock lights “out” a bit so it doesn’t illuminate so much of the center when that corner is blinking.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

I had some Baja Design rock lights that were bought for a certain yellow Jeep but it turns out they sent red rock lights instead of yellow ones, so instead of sending them back I kept the red ones with the intent of doing this mod, and I finally got around to it tonight.

I mounted them under the bed at the very back, 2 on each corner. Each corner wired to a blinker, so that when the blinkers or brakes are activated, a whole lot of extra signal/brake light is illuminated on the ground just behind the Jeep. Don’t want someone to say they couldn’t see my brake lights! If you notice too you’ll see I deactivated the blinker function on the amber slider-lights.

That’s a pretty slick idea!

JeeperG

Now we're cooking with beans. Base coat is on the rest of the panels, 5 clears tomorrow.

I think they look great, especially considering how big of a mess those front fenders and running boards where.

More of a supervisory/inspector roll for me today but it's good to see things get closer, I'm almost to 8 years now.
PXL_20230818_194243736.jpg

PXL_20230818_200216368.jpg

PXL_20230818_200225615.jpg

PXL_20230818_200249619.jpg

PXL_20230818_200257072.jpg

PXL_20230818_200313822.jpg

PXL_20230818_204916654.jpg

JeeperG

Don't sell yourselves short. You guys do nice work! I can only hope mine turns out anywhere close to the builds you guys have done. Can't wait to see it!
I am super happy with it as is, flaws and all. If anything the flaws will bruise my brothers ego, especially if this thing is judged and docked for those mistakes. Also it has been a learning experience, so lessons learned for the next time? I'm inspecting it with an 8,000 lumen inspection light with 5 different color temperatures and can see every flaw. X-D This is only his second full paint job and using different product.

Clear is on, not without some runs and orange peel and we'll just wait and see how this all sands out? Still need to do this process to the underside of the hood and rear filler panel next week. I sure hope I run into many of you next year, I am so tired of working on this thing.

PXL_20230819_191153772.jpg

PXL_20230819_191209577.jpg

PXL_20230819_191259684.jpg

PXL_20230819_191327415.jpg

PXL_20230819_192237242.jpg

PXL_20230819_195933136.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I am super happy with it as is, flaws and all. If anything the flaws will bruise my brothers ego, especially if this thing is judged and docked for those mistakes. Also it has been a learning experience, so lessons learned for the next time? I'm inspecting it with an 8,000 lumen inspection light with 5 different color temperatures and can see every flaw. X-D This is only his second full paint job and using different product.

Clear is on, not without some runs and orange peel and we'll just wait and see how this all sands out? Still need to do this process to the underside of the hood and rear filler panel next week. I sure hope I run into many of you next year, I am so tired of working on this thing.

View attachment 163058

View attachment 163059

View attachment 163060

View attachment 163061

View attachment 163062

View attachment 163063

That is turning out fantastic. Nice build.

One thing that helped me to reduce the orange peel in the clear is on the last coat of clear I will over-reduce by about 10% and it helps to lay down just a bit flatter than the subsequent coats. When I started over-reducing that last coat it really helped lay down nice and even cut easier as I could start out with a finer grit paper when color sanding.

DesertRam

That would be really cool paired with a cantilever arm on the bedside for picking things up off the ground and loading them into the bed without dragging them up the tailgate and stuff.

I wonder how stout that is in a pull.
Yes it would! My dad has a 1,000-lb pivoting crane in his truck bed that does that. No way to mount one of those in the Ranger bed. Hopefully with the tilting bed and this winch I'll be able to drag large dead things up into the bed. Now if I could only draw another elk tag...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I think this counts. Finally made a wall mount for the tacoma topper. It's just two horizontal 2x4's. For the top 2x4 I made some J brackets that the topper sits on. There's a hook at the top in that I used my warn drill winch to lift it up with. Nice and out of the way.

I should have taken pics before I put the topper up there.
26B94B43-C871-4D2B-BDF1-F8A7E70245DB_1_105_c.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve finally started work on swapping Britney’s old axle into a friend’s old CJ7. It’s quite the project, as I’m un****ering this Jeep as I go. Lots of sketchy wiring and such. It’s also FILTHY. A new Motobilt stretch CJ tank is going in at the same time. It’s staying on leaf springs for a few years.

IMG_6129.jpeg
IMG_6124.jpeg