General Tech What did you work on Today?

Pike2350

Today I swapped the front rotors and pads on my F150. It's only been about 70-80k since last time but man they were down to nothing....and in fact, the PS was pushing at an angle and not straight onto the rotor it actually were into the back of the rotor and was grinding.

I didn't deal with the back but should probably change the back pads soon.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Bought a riding mower the other day since my bush hog is busted.
Got a deal since it wouldn't start or run, but ran perfect on the snake venom.

Every fuel line was like this...
20240729_111114.jpg
Totally plugged solid. Ethanol causes the liner to separate from the sheath and plugs up everything.

So new fuel lines and filter, new fuel pump
20240729_111137.jpg
Carb clean, charge the battery, seat cover
Broke the filler neck changing an evap breather hose... So luckily plasti-weld fuel tank repair worked well enough.

Flap disc to sharpen the blades
20240729_104407.jpg
20240729_104757.jpg

New tires and lube axle for the trailer.

And hopefully a good unit that will last me a while.
20240727_183859.jpg

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
For today’s first world problem, my trailers get put in the back yard. It used to be no issue getting them back there. They have to go through a skinny spot and make a 90 degree turn.. but very manageable in any vehicle. Then I added a chicken coop. So it got tighter. I would then only use the Colorado to back them in. Then I added shade sails, and it got even tighter. But with patience, it still worked.

Then I sold the Colorado.

I tried to move the longest trailer in a couple weeks ago with my f350 and laughed at myself for the fail. I couldn’t even pretend that it was going to work.

So, out with last decade’s fad of the light bar:

IMG_7349.jpeg

And in with the never popular front hitch:

IMG_7350.jpeg

I started thinking about building my own again, but just ended up buying this one instead. About an hour later, it was all done.

I understand that front hitches are about as sexy as a flatbed for most people. But, Just like a flatbed, it’s hard to beat their functionality.
I can now push trailers back and hopefully make the corner. As well as use the hitch mount winch and even a snowplow again if I want.

I don’t like the giant open hole ford sent the truck out with. So maybe I will find something else to help make it look better.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Clever! Let us know how it works!
I've utilized the "sketchy 18" HF hitch extension" to get stuff in tight spots where I need to get close to jackknife angles.

I've seen a few of those homebuilt drill powered trailer dollies that look interesting too 🤓

jeeper

Clever! Let us know how it works!
I've utilized the "sketchy 18" HF hitch extension" to get stuff in tight spots where I need to get close to jackknife angles.

I've seen a few of those homebuilt drill powered trailer dollies that look interesting too 🤓

My first attempt started with the trailer the wrong direction on the street, with the hardest trailer (covered) to see around, and with my driveway already full of vehicles. I’m convinced it was the worst case scenarios I’ll ever have.
And it was a breeze.

IMG_7369.jpeg

I had to make a full U-turn with it set up like this on the street using my driveway and the neighbors driveway. It was a little awkward trying to figure out how to go where I wanted with the truck going backwards and trailer moving forward. Having the steer wheels in the center of the articulation took a little getting used to.
But overall, an excellent solution to my problem

jeeper

My first attempt started with the trailer the wrong direction on the street, with the hardest trailer (covered) to see around, and with my driveway already full of vehicles. I’m convinced it was the worst case scenarios I’ll ever have.
And it was a breeze.

View attachment 175325

I had to make a full U-turn with it set up like this on the street using my driveway and the neighbors driveway. It was a little awkward trying to figure out how to go where I wanted with the truck going backwards and trailer moving forward. Having the steer wheels in the center of the articulation took a little getting used to.
But overall, an excellent solution to my problem

Previously backing that 14’ trailer in was pretty difficult. Getting the trailer to swing before it hit the shed, and not swinging the truck too much to hit the fence took a few tries.
Today I pushed back a 27’ trailer with ease! Blows my mind how easy this is.

Except, I again couldn’t back out (truck backwards, trailer forwards) of my driveway. It’s very much wiggity whack trying to get the truck and trailer where I want them in that direction.
I tried to pull the 27’ back out of the yard and it took about 5 tries.
I’m sure I will learn and adjust.. but it’ll take some practice.

STAG

Upgraded the cooling system on the HooptieX XJ to an open system, installing an aftermarket all-aluminum radiator and electric fans. Time will tell if that’s a smart move or not I guess.
F00A0C6D-74FC-4F05-A236-7B447ADF6AEF.jpeg
All this fin damage is solely from yesterdays thunderstorm and hail. I’ll straighten them.
B02553B8-0CD2-43F9-9FB5-F2556831EC2A.jpeg
Still need to source a coolant overflow reservoir.

____

Added in a heatercore bypass
66A381E5-7B43-44F9-8BD0-D53DD11BA458.jpeg

NYCEGUY01

Had some new tires mounted up on new wheels for my 30' enclosed. 14 ply G load range as the prices have come down a bunch.
Decided to take the enclosed to Duct Tape Drags this year so I figured Id put some heavier tires on it for the trip and hopefully not have to change one on the way.

Tomorrow I get to shuffle trailers, pack bearings, and swap wheels and tires all day...lol. should be fun...

20240816_165236.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
View attachment 174857
I've used different kits and the Sylvania has worked the best for me. The secret is the UV block/clear coat.

Amazon sells the whole kit with polishing compound and sand paper. There is another kit that contains only the activator and UV coating.

If you have 400/1000/2000 grit paper or similar on hand you can skip the kit and buy the less expensive setup.
I forgot to do a before pic but let’s just say it was super cloudy and yellow. That stuff works!

IMG_7966.jpeg

Last edited: