General Tech What did you work on Today?

boogie_4wheel

Head swap.
Short story... My wore out, high hour, hard shifting bottom end got swapped for a 'newer' case. The original owner of my 1996 400 built 3 of them; one for him (#1), one for his brother (#2), and one that my father in law got (#3). All 435cc, hot rods crank, oversize exhaust valves, HD valve springs, some other stuff that I can't remember, and the one the OE kept for himself he extrude honed the head and added a Mikuni Flat Slide Pumper. Over the years he did some testing for FMF and some penciled details for a custom regrind cam. Fast forward to a couple years ago and I ended up with bike #1 after it changed hands a few times, sat outside for a while, one owner botched a carb rebuild. 2 rides in to my ownership I had a valve stick open. While fixing that, the OE gives my FIL the regrind cam that he came across in storage (they live 5 min from each other in Page, Az). So I add the cam and yeah, it's sweet (gives my buddy's 500EXC a good run). During all this time, bike #2 never gets ridden by the brother, it changes hands a few times and my FIL's brother ends up with it for his son and it gets parked at my FIL's. The plan was to make #2 street legal, but the son never comes over to work on it, it sits, almost gets sold twice, and ends up in a storage unit at my FIL's other brothers. All that make sense?
Fast forward to April this year. Busy BSing with the OE (is in his upper 70's and runs a XR650R and Husky 450, he's telling stories about jet boat racing, setting records in a NA 327ci), and he says that I screwed up; I should have never bought bike #1, I should have bought bike #2 because of the use that #1 got. So I get to asking around and find out about it just sitting in storage. I offer to purchase from my FIL's brother saying that I want the engine out of it, and he says he doesn't have any plans for it and to take the bike home with me and swap out the parts that I want, and then bring what is left back to go back in storage.

So I got a free new bottom end that I'm swapping heads on :D But I gotta return a wore out running bike. It is fun bragging about having 5 Hondas at the house.

Head Shot. Notice difference in intake.
20150607_110523.jpg

20150607_110514.jpg

20150607_110502.jpg

boogie_4wheel

Steal it.

Yep!!!

Talked to a couple guys last fall while in Moab at a camp ground. They were on a XL500 and XL250. Cali plates. They started 'riding' at Cedar City, were packing everything on the bikes, tents and bags, parts, spare fuel, and were headed for Colorado for a round trip. I had to laugh a little bit because the 250 had a little windshield and all I could think was all the drag it was creating. Both were spinning knobbies. I bet those guys had an absolute blast.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
did some imaginary work
temporary_xpsc34jsln0_zpsrvqsvch7.jpg~original

airmanwilliams

Last night for Father's Day I installed a light strip on my fathers truck he has wanted for some time. It has red for signals and brakes and white for reverse. Next couple days I'll be putting one on the hitch carrier for my sisters wheel chair since it blocks his taillights alittle.

Tan Comanche

Desert Speed Shock Tuning
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435028413.099892.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435028421.644199.jpg

I made a new pot for my palm tree. Woot! Not nearly as cool as machining stuff or fixing dirt bikes (like above) ,but it needed to be done!

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
We have been wanting to change our landscaping in the front yard a bit. We are going for a river rock area next to the walkway to our front door. There will be a small fountain and some flower pots. We couldn't find pots that fit the look we wanted... We were hoping for something unique, fun, and with personal flare.
So I made a huge steel diamond plate pot :)

Drawn and cut.. Loving a Plasma!!

IMG_4417[1].JPGIMG_4418[1].JPG

One side cut out..

IMG_4419[1].JPG

Assembled. We think it turned out well, and will be unique and fun. The pot is 2.5' wide at top, 1' at bottom, and 3' tall. It's big.

IMG_4420[1].JPGIMG_4423[1].JPG

I am going to make 2 smaller, straight square pots to go in either end as well.

Last edited:

Tan Comanche

Desert Speed Shock Tuning
Glad to see someone else making a pot! I felt a little weird when I posted mine. Hey it is metal...it is manly...even though it will be full of flowers.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Finished the smaller pots this morning. They seem so BIG when you stand next to them. I thought they were almost too big, and would look silly. Next to the house they seem small..
IMG_4427[1].jpg

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Since getting my plasma cutter i have seen the need more and more for a decent set of saw horses so i fabbed these out of stuff from the scrap bin. They are 4' wide and 3' tall.

IMG_5938.JPG