General Tech What did you work on Today?

RogueJeepr

Here!
My jeep came with a nice front tow bar but never gets used. So I've always wanted to put something for recovery.
The options were limited since it had 1.5" receivers , till today.
Metalmart had some 1.5" solid steel. Got that and starting to begin my project.
6f06d16be09c1f08bdc81ed80bdc29ad.jpg

8361fd7123448f6515bf43ca0a25bbc8.jpg

b554af79e2cdecb492ffe92948e7070f.jpg

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

RogueJeepr

Here!
This may take awhile to cut.
So far it's cutting it better than trying to cut 2" hitch.
I think the key is not letting the steel or saw get hot. Lots of cutting, backing off, letting rpm's rev back up, cutting kind of thing.
I'll try my HV saw next cut.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Damn, that took forever. Good thing I was working on other things as well.
e1ea8688f45f1b7fa9e065f6de9ee5e7.jpg

These metal cabinets and drawers were passed down from my grandpa. They had different colors of paint on em. So I painted them glossy desert tan. This is my future metal work table.
d57c25f2a04b0de1fc46286370ef7706.jpg

Last edited:

DAA

What I worked on recently...

Turning this (not my picture, just snagged it off the 'net):

3685063.jpg

Into this:

20170311_M2_Pattern%20Test-21.jpg

Got a new coyote hunting shotgun the other day. Plan on doing a LOT of pattern testing with it. Shooting 3" magnum coyote loads off a bench is no fun. The recoil is brutal. I can only take so much of it in one sitting. And like I said, I'm going to do a LOT of testing with this new Benelli.

So I turned the old Outers rest which I've had since about the time I got my drivers license, into a "lead sled". It ain't pretty. I used only materials I had on hand left over from previous projects which forced some less than elegant design choices. I have zero welding skill. And my little 70 amp flux core machine struggles with the 3/16 and 1/4 material. But, black paint goes a long way towards making the ugly welds less noticeable. And it's not coming apart and it does work very well.

Used it for the first time yesterday. With those two 25 lb plates onboard, virtually no recoil at all shooting 1-7/8 oz buckshot factory loads or my even more vicious 1-3/4 oz. hand loads. I'm going to call it a success. Not pretty, but functional :).

- DAA

ricsrx

UPDATES: its slow but coming a long
i am working on getting a set of wheels with better offset to move the tires further in. i am sure i will have to tub the body

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Some more work to the receivers.
They fit.
3f99f5fdf0064e704b1bccb9d321aa8a.jpg

A few holes drilled.
e76175b5d301822e32e173a93a6978ee.jpg

Using the HV bandsaw. It cuts this better than the chop saw.
Took barley 10 mins to cut.
Way to go little saw !!!
e5611b25a9af450630d979415dd31113.jpg

rholbrook

I changed up all the auxiliary wiring in the JKU Saturday. Harrison got the JKU to drive when he turned 16 and as long as his grades are good and he stays out of trouble he can drive it. The only thing he has ever wanted to put on it is rock lights. I bought some nice LED lights, a pillar switch replacement piece, 12" light bar and a prefabbed junction box with fuses and relays.
IMG_7736.JPGIMG_7733.JPGIMG_7734.JPG
I got my soldering iron and heat shrink out and neatly wired up 8 rock lights for him as well as the 12" light and added the window pod lights to the new switch. Looks and works great. I also installed some seat spacers in the rear which are supposed to make the rear seat more comfortable.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Awhile ago I changed the rear hatch struts on my rig and saved the old ones for the teardrop. Installed those today and put em at the same measurements as the XJ.
Since the teardrop hatch is way lighter these work perfectly.
Goodbye stick.
fe7fad0f64ccd74b428fdb2412f7de94.jpg

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
All I have been working on is the new shop for the past couple of months now. Between that and the yard they have taken up ALL of my time that I am not at work. I will be so glad when it is done and I can get working in it rather than on it.

Trusses up, not dried in yet nor fence up, just the posts and mow strip poured.
qrkwaf.jpg

Looking from the street.
124fyc3.jpg

Sheathing up and getting it dried in before the rain started Friday night. Also the fence was installed Friday afternoon.
2vmisnk.jpg

Another shot from my deck of them drying in the roof.
2qx6zw9.jpg

Can't wait for it to be complete.

Mike.