General Tech What did you work on Today?

JeeperG

Man, if that's what you call a turd I really want to see what you call good. I don't think I'd be allowed in the same building.
You're more than welcome to come hang out at the shop if you want, can point out the imperfections. 🙂. I'm super happy with how it's turning out though, not bad for a garage build.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Ready for my "Fail of the year?"

Last year I drove my snowblower to the shed. Emptied out the gas, drained the carburetor bowl. Pulled the plug and squirted a little oil in cylinder then pulled the cord a couple times. Regular stuff.

This year I pulled it out. Filled with non E gas and pulled. Nothing. Plugged into the e-start. Fast spin. Checked for spark. Got it. Fuel in the carb? Yes.
Ok shoot some starter fluid in there like a sloppy redneck.
It backfires through the intake.

🔥 FIRE! 🔥

Luckily I've got the thing outside already and my thought is, "I better throw some snow on there before it melts the ignition wires and I have to rewire it."
NOPE. It's already feeding itself gas through a vacuum line.
OK grab the extinguisher and tap it since it's only about a 2 inch flame and save the wiring.
(Bonk the extinguisher on the ground and give it a shake since powder settles).
And the extinguisher valve sticks open.
5 pounds of yellow powder turns my yard into a Kansas dust bowl as I run to the garbage can to let it empty in there... 🤣😂🤣
20221129_165156.jpg

Somehow the adjustment nut on the exhaust rocker had backed off and stuck the valve open and closed at the wrong time and caused the backfire.
20221129_183440.jpg
Not sure how since it ran itself into the shed last year. 🤷

But I after I adjusted the valves and cleaned the motor out I still had only like 10psi of compression.

These things are now $1100...
Stoopid inflation. Begin motor swap.
20221130_164407.jpg

For $200 I got a HF Predator 224cc Max Performance. Hopefully a nice upgrade from 178cc.
20221130_165739.jpg

Had to get a sleeve to take the 3/4" output shaft to 7/8" and some thrust washers to get the pulley spacing right.
(Here's the one I bought).
Screenshot_20221130_173036_Amazon Shopping.jpg

But now it runs and my wallet is lighter. Thanks for laughing with me. 🤣
20221202_213805.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
"Ran when parked".😄
Exactly 🤣 I guess 10 years is an ok life with no valve adjustments... ooops 😬

anyone else think there'd be a small block Chev on the snowblower?
Stock is like 6hp so...
Drop one off! 😎
I DO have a spare 125cc two stroke from a YZ125.... Pretty sure chucking snow with 33hp at 9,500 RPM of bra-aAAap would sound amaze-balls. But you might hear it all the way over at your house.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Stock is like 6hp so...
Drop one off! 😎
I DO have a spare 125cc two stroke from a YZ125.... Pretty sure chucking snow with 33hp at 9,500 RPM of bra-aAAap would sound amaze-balls. But you might hear it all the way over at your house.

I do have a TBI unit available. You'd have to swap a carb on it and such as the TBI is still in my "Jeep"

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Justin Trudeau is going crazy in Canada with his gun bans. Most anything is already banned. His most recent ban specifically names a few basic guns, including the mossberg plinkster .22. I’ve had one for quite a while that was handed down through multiple people as a broken gun. In honor of JT, I spent a few hours today figuring out how to fix it.
One more deadly plinkster on the streets!

23940ACA-64F8-4227-AAF8-28155A098855.jpeg

Last edited: