what do you tow 10k lbs with?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My Excursion is costing more than it's worth lately and I really miss having a truck. I pull a 28ft toyhauler that weighs right around 10k lbs when loaded. I only pull it a dozen times a year and don't really drive the Ex more than a few times a month when I need to haul the whole family or pull a few bikes. So what do I get to replace the EX?

I don't want to spend over $25K. Here are the options I am considering.

1. Getting and older superduty with a V10 for around $10K and using the rest to buy a tacoma that I would DD and would reduce the need for the big truck and big gas bill when I haul a couple motorcycles or mtn bikes.

2. Getting another Diesel and spending the whole $25k so that it can sit most of the time but be really nice when I do drive it.:sick:

3. I have been toying with buying a Tundra but am unsure of how well they would handle the load when my trailer is full. It would be awesome when I pull a small trailer or for driving around town but can I safely tow my max load?

I don't really want a dodge due to the smaller cab (I will be using all 6 seat belts in a crew cab plus a dog.)

I wouldn't mind a Duramax but they all have 200K miles on them in my price range.

The funny thing is the Tundra has a 10K lbs tow rating and so does my Excursion. Has anyone towed a big trailer with the newer 1/2 (5/8) ton trucks?
I would love to just go buy a new Ecoboost but that is double my budget.

Cascadia

Undecided
I have a '13 Tundra and I have only towed a bobcat a few times on a heavy trailer. Probably around 10k lbs. It towed great and had enough power. It also braked very well but would be even better with the trailer brake hooked up.

jentzschman

Just another option, but how about downsizing the trailer and the truck to tow with?

If you only tow a dozen times a year or so, is the cost of owning a big trailer and tow rig worth it?

Could a smaller trailer work for your families needs?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Just another option, but how about downsizing the trailer and the truck to tow with?

If you only tow a dozen times a year or so, is the cost of owning a big trailer and tow rig worth it?

Could a smaller trailer work for your families needs?

I am really considering that too Trevor. When we bought this trailer we bought what we wanted so we could keep it for a long time instead of upgrade in a few years. Honestly, I love it once we get to where we are camping. I hate towing it though. It is heavy and big and handles like crap. I think I could downsize to a slightly smaller trailer and get away with a tundra or something similar.

jentzschman

I think if your family could get by with a smaller one, that might be a route to consider. Finding a sweet spot can be a challenge when you like to get out and enjoy yourself, while not breaking the bank and bringing as much comfort and convenience along as well.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My main problem was always sleeping arrangements. Smaller trailers wouldn't sleep all 7 members of my family and two dogs. Off to KSL for some trailer viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb

I regularly towed my 10K pound trailer with my Tundra. It towed great, you could always tell it was there, but I had no problem stopping or going. I went the speed I felt comfortable with for the conditions (I usually kept it around 65ish, but found my self more than once going over 80). The gas mileage was around 9-11 but would go as low as 4-5 if I was getting on it. The worse I ever got was I filled up in Draper just before getting on the freeway, I pulled in to Price on fumes, then again pulled in to Grand Junction on fumes. I was dealing with nasty head winds the whole way and was keeping it between 75-80 the entire time because my parents were following me in their car so I was trying to keep a decent pace for their sake. I said screw them after GJ :rofl: and started going much slower and my mileage pretty much tripled. Another downside to the Tundra is the tank is only 26ish gallons. For most circumstances, that's not a big deal, but if you know you'll be more than 200 miles between possible stops, it gets a little worrisome. I always used a weight distro hitch, trailer brakes, and air bags. Overall, I absolutely loved my Tundra for what I was using it for. One other tidbit, the older (but still new body style, 2007-2009ish???) Tundras had higher tow ratings. Mine had a rating (according to the manual) of 11700 I think, the combo I had was the highest rated Crew Max Tundra. The newer ones, I don't think are even over 10K, even in the same config as mine. I don't know if they changed something on the newer ones, or they just re-rated them.

Another big plus for the Tundra is the space they offer for the back seat. You can have three adults back there comfortably. My back seats would even recline. If you click the picture below, it will take you to a gallery of my truck, it has several pictures of the back seat.

Here's my setup:

EDIT: Looks like new Crew Max 4x4 are rated no more than 9000. If you go Double cab 4x2 Long bed, you get a 10,100 rating.

Last edited:

rholbrook

Couple of thoughts Chad. The Eco-Boost has a bigger tank than the Tundra and is rated to tow more. Loaded down it will get the same MPG as the Tundra.

Maybe a better option is downsizing the trailer. My friend has a 22" toy hauler that is perfect. I think it sleeps 7-8 because it has the double big bunks that raise and lower in the back. I don't know how many bikes it holds. We had 5 with no prproblem

How about a used motorhome with a regular trailer? My brother just picked up a really nice one for cheap.

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
You can get an early (2001-2004) duramax with around 120k miles for $16-20k. If you want to hook up your trailer to my stock duramax you are more than welcome to see what you think of them.

Ima9er

Crazy Man
if I may put in my 2 cents, I just picked up a 2004 ford f250 with 160k on the engine. and I snagged it at around 14k, chipped. and I've towed not quite 10k, but been around 8k of a trailer and it did extremely well. I haven't like fords that much since I grew up on chevy's but i'm really really impressed with my truck.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Russ I would love an Ecoboost. They are just too much money right now. Here is a trailer identical to mine. Weights 8900 empty. Then add 120 gal of water, 25 gal fuel, 4 bikes and my grizzly, ~10,000-11,000. I know your truck is rated for 11,200 so I could legally and safely do it. One of these days I'll have one, just not right now.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=25464446&cat=436&lpid=8&search=&ad_cid=2

I bought my trailer 2 years ago and apparently prices have really dropped. I paid way more for my trailer than they are selling for now. SO, downsizing the trailer would cost me a pretty penny and I actually really like the trailer once we are camping.

I had considered a motor home and an enclosed trailer in the past. Seemed like the perfect solution. Problem is I usually end up driving my tow rig at least once when we are camping. Either to go to town to get parts,food,ice or to just explore the area. That is a big pain with a motor home.

Chance, Thanks for the offer. If I get serious about another diesel I will take you up on that. Right now I am really leaning towards getting a cheaper truck to tow with and getting a nicer DD. It doesn't make much sense to have my most expensive vehicle site most of the time.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
if I may put in my 2 cents, I just picked up a 2004 ford f250 with 160k on the engine. and I snagged it at around 14k, chipped. and I've towed not quite 10k, but been around 8k of a trailer and it did extremely well. I haven't like fords that much since I grew up on chevy's but i'm really really impressed with my truck.

My Excursion is an 04 and I have been running on SCT tuner on it. I love the power. I have had an 03 F250, two 05 F250's and the Ex. I really love the trucks. This one just had a leaky EGR cooler so I replaced it and the oil cooler as well as installed a coolant filter and changed to ELC coolant. That was over a grand for parts. Now the oil cooler is somehow plugged in the first 500 miles and the head gaskets are blown. I'm just not ready to dump another $3K into it after all the suspension and engine work I have already done. Plus my oldest son is driving now so I don't need all 7 seat belts and had planned to get a truck in the next 2 years anyhow. It just seems like the time to switch is now.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I actually really like the F350 V-10's and you can find them pretty inexpensive. Towing that infrequently should not hurt the gas bill too bad.

Have you priced the Ecoboosts with your trade? A buddy at work traded his 2011 Coyote F150 for a NEW 2013 Ecoboost and did very well on the trade.

It seems like a newer 1/2 ton would fit the bill perfectly.

I think I missed the part about buying a less expensive truck AND a Tacoma, why 2 trucks?

--edit: re-read the reason behind 2 trucks. I would really think about scoring a clean V-10 or a dedicated diesel 1 ton.

Last edited:

rholbrook

I like Excursions, always wanted one. I had a 99 F250 CC with V-10 which I ordered new. I took one trip to Powell pulling just the jetskis, got home and sold it to my BIL and ordered the exact truck in a diesel. I got 8 mpg in the V-10 on that trip. My BIL had it up until 2 years ago and put 200K miles on the V-10 with no issues.

Unless you put a ton of miles on the diesel, the payback is not there anymore. The extra cost of fuel, motor option and oil changes, it just does t add up, especially for a vehicle you only use 20 times a year.

Another option would be a Chev or GMC with a 454 in it. They are cheap

Caleb

This may be a first, a used Toyota cheaper than a used Ford

Don't get your hopes up too fast. The only reason you can find cheaper Tundras is because they were made prior to 2011 (Ecoboost wasn't). If you compare like year with like options, the Tundra is still more expensive :D

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
After talking to the wife this morning it's looking like the V10 is winning. It's pretty surprising how close prices are for V10's and 6.0 PSD's. $100 oil changes, $50 fuel filters and $0.20 to $1.00 a gallon more expensive fuel will make up for the close sale prices pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk