Your Pic of The Day

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
An adventure on Imogene today! This is the boys first trip in his new-to-him 4Runner. We started up from the Telluride side and got to Tomboy before realizing his 4wd was out. We fiddled with it a bit but eventually just strapped him up through the spicy bits and kept heading up. He made it!

1000001434.jpg

Coming down the other side, things got worse. Below Camp Bird he sheared the passenger ball joint bolts.

1000001447.jpg

It separated the cv shaft, but luckily didn't take out the brake line. We strapped him off to the truck behind him, picked up the front with my exhaust jack, and managed to get all but one of the sheared bolts out. With a combination of robbed bolts from the other side and donors scrounged from my rig we got him rolling again. We limped down the hill and into Ouray and now we're just waiting for the server to bring us burgers. Tomorrow we find a hardware store.

02SE

@Tonkaman and I did the exact same in his Tacoma. I guess it’s a Toyota thing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Glad you are a capable and competent man who solved the problem without much ado.

The 3rd gen 4Runner, and the 1st gen Tacoma, share a poor design of the lower ball joint. It is mounted in tension, rather than in compression, as most properly designed LBJ's are. Usually the LBJ itself pulls apart. Shearing the mounting bolts is a situation I hadn't heard of before. Shearing the bolts sounds like the bolts were of a lower grade than OEM, and/or they were over-torqued.