Your Pic of The Day

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

STAG

On my grind
I wanted to do some CNC machining today but my laptop had other plans. Blue screen of death keeps popping up.

This laptop is old and I even bought it used so probably just gonna replace it and redownload Mach3 on its replacement.
View attachment 173749
Well I bought a replacement laptop today, and it has Windows 11 preinstalled on it but for whatever reason it wonā€™t let me switch out of S-mode. If youā€™re unfamiliar with it, being in S mode means you can only use apps from the Microsoft App Store, so in other words, no Mach3.

No Mach3, means this laptop is no use to me. Iā€™ve tried everything I can think of, and nothing will let me switch out of S mode, so Iā€™m taking it back to the store and going to get something else, preferably not with Windows 11 I guess.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Well I bought a replacement laptop today, and it has Windows 11 preinstalled on it but for whatever reason it wonā€™t let me switch out of S-mode. If youā€™re unfamiliar with it, being in S mode means you can only use apps from the Microsoft App Store, so in other words, no Mach3.

No Mach3, means this laptop is no use to me. Iā€™ve tried everything I can think of, and nothing will let me switch out of S mode, so Iā€™m taking it back to the store and going to get something else, preferably not with Windows 11 I guess.

We run a lot of Win 11 machines and don't have to do the App Store bull shit. I've not heard of "S" mode (I'm sure you've done your research about it and that's a new thing to me) before. Like you say, getting stuck with the bullshit App Store takes away ANY advantage to a PC. You might as well be buying a buying a Mac if you have to deal with that kind of bullshit. I'm not familiar at all with "store" bought stuff and buy from Dell directly. Maybe that's how I've avoided the BS?

1718600593349.png

Kind of makes sense that it's the "consumer" version.

1718600651165.png

Glad I don't have to deal with that stuff

1718600718916.png

STAG

On my grind
We run a lot of Win 11 machines and don't have to do the App Store bull shit. I've not heard of "S" mode (I'm sure you've done your research about it and that's a new thing to me) before. Like you say, getting stuck with the bullshit App Store takes away ANY advantage to a PC. You might as well be buying a buying a Mac if you have to deal with that kind of bullshit. I'm not familiar at all with "store" bought stuff and buy from Dell directly. Maybe that's how I've avoided the BS?

View attachment 173778

Kind of makes sense that it's the "consumer" version.

View attachment 173779

Glad I don't have to deal with that stuff

View attachment 173780
Yeah my design computer has 11 on it and never gave me any of this grief.

I can get to the link option to where itā€™s supposed to let me out of S mode, but when I click it it just says ā€œa problem occurred and we cannot do the upgradeā€ and it gives a button for ā€œtry againā€ but then doesnā€™t do anything after that.

Iā€™ve tried updating everything, including all of Windows 11 itself and the App Store and anything updateable and nothing gives. Tried resetting the computer umpteen times.

Iā€™m not real computer savvy though.

It wonā€™t even let me run Google Chrome, it wants to make you run Microsoft Edge.

Anyways, I did a hard-reset on the laptop and wiped any of my sign-in info and Iā€™m just gonna try a different one. I *might* try it all again tomorrow before taking it back if I decide I have the patience, but thatā€™s a decision for future me.

*edit*
I have no patience, and tried again.

šŸ„³
58041CEF-82B7-4C13-8AA5-44F5C92471C9.jpeg

Last edited: