'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

From my understanding if there is a shell and seat belts it is legal. The Brat is legal and it doesn't even have a shell. A Blazer or Bronco are really a truck with a fiberglass shell on the back half. Same with the 80s 4runner or if you are going to cut the back of the cab out then it will be essentially the same thing minus the support from the back part of the cab which would actually make it worse.

While I agree with your logic, those cars were manufactured as passenger vehicles, where the DOT approved those seats. I thought I read a law about the seats having to be a factory option for them to be legal. I'll have to dig up the laws.

If you are going to add a doubler then put your bench in the back and pick up some buckets for the front.

ooh, that's a great idea, except I'm going to want head rests for the rear passengers. And I'll be adding seatbelts regardless.

blznnp

One of the welding teachers at SLCC has a 34 pickup with seats bolted in the bed, seat belts bolted, never has had a problem. I will try and post a picture of it here in a little bit, he has driven past police all the time........here is a pic
NOKIALumia710_000148.jpg

chans

While I agree with your logic, those cars were manufactured as passenger vehicles, where the DOT approved those seats. I thought I read a law about the seats having to be a factory option for them to be legal. I'll have to dig up the laws.

But by that definition you couldn't cut the back of the cab and add your own seats or making a quad cab so you would be limited to swapping on a quad cab.

sixstringsteve

But by that definition you couldn't cut the back of the cab and add your own seats or making a quad cab so you would be limited to swapping on a quad cab.

agreed. I just kind of accepted the fact that whatever I did would be illegal.

I just found this. I'll probably just end up making my own version.
http://bedryder.com/id1.html

There's also the option of side-facing seats like the 70 series cruisers.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

here's what I found on the bedryder website:

Utah does have restrictions* for passengers riding in cargo areas. You may not ride in a cargo area except for:

- off highway operation
- employees performing their duties
- people riding in a vehicle space that is intended for any load

* This provision is designed to prohibit riding on hoods, fenders, and other places not designed for passengers. The exemption for people in the body of a truck applies to enclosed areas like the cargo area of a straight truck or van.

so it sounds like I could make it work.

sixstringsteve

Here is the response from BedRyder:

Steve, Utah has no specific restriction relating to riding in the bed of a pickup truck therefore it is difficult to send something that doesn't exist. From our discussions with Utah law enforcement the BedRyder is legal for use in Utah. Here is a reply from Utah Highway Patrol. Let us know if you have any other questions.

http://www.publicsafety.utah.gov/highwaypatrol/faq/faq4.html#Riding in PU Bed
Can people legally ride in the bed of a pickup truck?
Utah law does not prohibit people from riding in the bed of a pickup truck. However, since occupant restraints are not available in that location, it isn't a good idea. It's much better if people ride inside the cab of the truck and use safety belts. If someone must ride in the bed of a truck, they should be seated on the bed of the truck and as close to the cab as possible. Never permit anyone to sit on the sides of a truck bed or on an open tailgate.

chans

- people riding in a vehicle space that is intended for any load
The exemption for people in the body of a truck applies to enclosed areas
If someone must ride in the bed of a truck, they should be seated on the bed of the truck and as close to the cab as possible

Looks like you are Triple covered with a shell on the bed and the seat behind the cab

sixstringsteve

Thank you for the brat idea chans, I'm definitely going to go that route. I will most likely use my current bench seat in the back. Now I can find some buckets for the front and install my duals eventually.

sixstringsteve

a single case is not low enough for the trails I drive. I want to crawl slower. Since they don't make lower t-case gears for the tacomas, I need to install two t-cases to multiply their low range, so it'll crawl slower.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
a single case is not low enough for the trails I drive. I want to crawl slower. Since they don't make lower t-case gears for the tacomas, I need to install two t-cases to multiply their low range, so it'll crawl slower.

I swear someone offers a kit to swap your Taco case to an older gear driven. Would that with a 4.7 kit go more a long the lines of what you want to do with the rig?

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
The Tacoma's axle drop is the opposite side as the mini-truck. So the gear driven t-case front output shaft is on the wrong side.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The Tacoma's axle drop is the opposite side as the mini-truck. So the gear driven t-case front output shaft is on the wrong side.

That would be true if you're looking at a stock Tcase. The link above is for "Lefty".

inchworm said:
The Lefty is a gear driven transfer case for a Tacoma, 4Runner, or FJ Cruiser with a left-hand drop front axle.