'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

I like your solution james: Get an 80 series axle and do a sas to save $500 on an adapter for my t-case. :D I love the 80 series axles, and I think I'd go that route if I were looking for a buggy or a sas rig.

Only issue is, I don't want a solid axle. I'm not into wheeling the hardcore trails much anymore, and the IFS is actually better for the stuff I like to do. If I could get a solid axle swap on my tacoma for free, I wouldn't. I'd still stick with the IFS. I'd love to have access to a buggy twice a year, but it's not worth turning my DD into a buggy for two trips a year. My trials bike is my buggy now. :D

zukijames

Ifs is better? Steve let's argue for a second. If you had a Fj 80 axle with some coil overs , quadruple bypass shocks and an anti rock sway bar. 35s arb and hydro assist.. With 50+ inch long radius arms (possibly wristed on the one side)

It would do great on and off road and not have to worry about ever braking the axle where as now 35s an thousands of miles of dirt roads the ifs might be expensive to maintain.

No front locker and a broken cv in a rough area could be bad say a flash flood or something ya know?
Like it the trail in dry conditions was about all you felt comfortable doing in the vehicle and then it snowed .

Sorry let me know if you want me to delete this.
But I think you enjoy discussion as much as me.

And we both know and Agree spending all the money to do what I suggested would be pretty crazy for what you want the rig for.

But with my anxiety breaking something in the middle of the desert scares me bad ..

Also I know the older ifs stuff had steering problems.. Like breaking idler arms and such again would not be fun hundreds of miles away from town.

All this being said awhile back there was a early 90s extra cab 3.0 pickup for sale with no motor but it had the long travel ifs stuff. I wanted it so bad for a dd /expo rig but I would have done some big long trailing arms In the back with a turboed 2.7
;)

I love your truck and how often you get to use it.. Ps me an maddie got dirt bikes..

sixstringsteve

well, if you're going with quadruple bypass shocks, I could build an IFS kit with the same budget that'd be cooler anyway. :D

For what I use my truck for, the IFS is great. I plan on taking it to the rubicon this fall, and that's the toughest trail I intend to tackle.

airmanwilliams

heres an idea for you steve :D

375246_10150962481550193_666440192_21830323_1714244350_n.jpg

sixstringsteve

Ok, I'm ready to swap out the bench seat for a bucket seat. Anyone have any toyota bucket seats they're looking to get rid of?

sixstringsteve

definitely some cool parts on that truck.

I won a few amazing parts at the RME BBQ this year:

- Piaa lights from piaa
- smittybuilt 8000k lb winch from lowrange
- a camp chair from cruiseroutfitters
- pants from Armed
- and a tire plug kit from powertank

I'd say I scored big time. I may just have to get a shrockworks front bumper to house that winch. If not a shrockworks, I'll build something very similar.