'97 tacoma build: Abner

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Once again, Low Range Offroad rocks. They took care of me and then some. I swapped my winch for credit and ordered the following:

trail gear dual-case crossmember
trail-gear dual case adapter
sliders
23-spline input gear
a new cb

What a great group of guys. It's really a shame that the show n shine is falling on the same weekend as my rubicon trip, I really wanted to run it with them.

I plan on attaching the sliders this Saturday and the rest of my parts should be in by the middle of next week.

New Sliders? Not liking the ones you have?

sixstringsteve

I don't really trust the ones I have right now. I've loved my TG sliders in the past, and they're cheaper than building my own. I use my sliders a lot, and I need 'em to take a beating. I figure it's good insurance for the rubicon. I have loved my TG sliders in the past, and the price was right. Now I don't have to worry.

nice build! took a while to read through the hole thing lol. i really like your rig, lots of great mods. i am looking at doing some removable seating in the bed as well! keep us updated on the chapest/ best way you can do this! wish i had a welder id already be starting it!

sixstringsteve

what city are you in llama? And do you already know how to weld? I'd be happy to lend a hand one of these evenings.

I'll be installing the sliders tomorrow. Anyone's welcome to swing by and shoot the breeze if you've got nothing better to do.

sixstringsteve

I've always enjoyed night runs, and rock lights always make night runs more enjoyable. On my last tacoma I had the vision x tantrum lights. They weren't bad. I liked that they came with so many lights, but they quickly turned murky from water/elements. Plus they weren't super bright, more like mood lighting. Quality was decent for what you pay, but they let water in and the wiring was bulky and cumbersome.

A few months ago I helped Toby (Addiction) install some litespots on his JK and I am blown away by the quality. THe magnet is pure genius and super strong. Plus the LEDs are 100% waterproof, being that they're completely enclosed in the epoxy. Build quality is incredible. I was really impressed. Install was a cinch and the light output seemed like more than the vision x's. I felt that 6 LEDs weren't quite enough to light it up well enough for my liking.

I just purchased two kits, for a total of 12 LED's. They were NOT cheap at all, but they're money well spent for my needs.

One thing about LEDs is that they don't put out nearly the light that regular old $10 rock lights put out. It's a white, soft light, and in my opinion, it requires more lights to light up the area well. I love the current draw on these things though, you can run them all night and still be able to start your rig in the morning.

Here's some info for those who are curious:

http://www.carolinatruggies.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=13

THese are the cheapest place to get 'em. Most companies are charging $250 + shipping for the 6-pack.

sixstringsteve

I've never seen the roundeyes ones in person. I'd love to do a side by side comparison.

I am really impressed with these ORO lights though, they're an amazing product. Plus they have 3 LEDs per puck. I'd love to do a side by side comparison.

sixstringsteve

Coco dropped off some parts tonight and I went to town.

Cleaning the '81 case. I wonder if this came out of my old truck Angelo. That'd be pretty funny if it did.

IMG_2764.JPG

Tearing it down.

IMG_2765.JPG

Down to the bare crawl box.

IMG_2766.JPG

sixstringsteve

The goal is to mate all 3 of these together in the end.

IMG_2767.JPG

21 spline vs 23 spline input shaft. I didn't think there'd be much of a difference, but there definitely is.

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

Pressing the bearing off the old 21 spline input shaft so I can use it on the new one. I can't believe how much I've used my press since I've purchased it. Definitely one of the best purchases I've made yet.

IMG_2770.JPG

After I pressed the bearing off, I realized that it was pitted. Bad. So I will be using another input bearing. John (83trailblazer) is the man and is hooking me up with a fresh bearing. Until I get that new bearing, this is as far as I can go. Once I get that bearing the crawl box is only about 10 min away from being done.

IMG_2771.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

the big box is my t-case mount/skid. Unfortunately TG sells all their sliders with their fruity flame logo on them now. I'll be cutting off the logo tag.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I got the crawl box all put together. Thanks to 83trailblazer for being a stud and helping me find all the parts I needed.

IMG_2773.JPG

sixstringsteve

To-do before the Rubicon:

Immediate stuff:
- install bucket seats (from tacoma, 4runner, or Corbeau)
- install center console
- install duals w/skidplate/crossmember
- get driveshafts modified (shorten rear, lengthen front, build a spare rear)
- extend speedometer
- remove old sliders
- install new sliders
- install diff drop kit
- flush front diff
- install budbuilt skids

Not as crucial, but still nice to have:
- install new CB/Antenna
- install new CD deck
- purchase a spare lower ball joint and the tools needed to swap it
- install rock lights
- get the a/c charged
- put a seat in the back
- get a soft top

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted to tonight, but progress is progress.

I picked up these 4runner seats:

IMG_2775.JPG

and I painted my t-case crossmember:

IMG_2774.JPG

I removed the old sliders, and I removed the bench seat inside. I actually remembered to take it to the car wash and spray all the dirt off the bottom before I worked on it this time.

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Got a ton done tonight, way more than I thought I would. It wouldn't have been possible without my friend Scott who happened to swing by and see if I needed help.

We pulled and measured the driveshafts, pulled the tcase, and installed the intermediate coupler on the tranny, as well as a new tranny output seal.

IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

At this point, we ran into trouble. For some reason the crawl box wouldn't go on. It turns out that TG forgot to tap 4 of the holes in the adapter. I'm a fan of TG, and I know that everyone makes mistakes. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they want me to tap the holes myself, or if they want to swap out the adapter. Hopefully they'll let me tap the holes without voiding my warranty and I can get the cases back in the truck by this weekend.

IMG_2781.JPG

These holes should have been tapped:

TG%2520Oops.jpg

airmanwilliams

Got a ton done tonight, way more than I thought I would. It wouldn't have been possible without my friend Scott who happened to swing by and see if I needed help.

We pulled and measured the driveshafts, pulled the tcase, and installed the intermediate coupler on the tranny, as well as a new tranny output seal.

IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

At this point, we ran into trouble. For some reason the crawl box wouldn't go on. It turns out that TG forgot to tap 4 of the holes in the adapter. I'm a fan of TG, and I know that everyone makes mistakes. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they want me to tap the holes myself, or if they want to swap out the adapter. Hopefully they'll let me tap the holes without voiding my warranty and I can get the cases back in the truck by this weekend.

IMG_2781.JPG

These holes should have been tapped:

TG%2520Oops.jpg

sounds like a wonderful time. they didnt tap those holes and they put those plates on the sliders, just making more work for you all around.

sixstringsteve

once again, Low Range Offroad came through for me. They've got another adapter in stock and they'll be swapping mine out. Thank you Low Range!