Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I stopped by Bountiful Bicycle on the way home from work to check out a bike. The guy that was helping me said they are having their big spring sale tomorrow (4/9) from 4-9. I ended up ordering a bike 10% off and some tires 20% off which should be here by the end of next week. I wish I didn't have to wait for the bike to get in and built but it was hard to pass up the discount.

Hopefully later in the season when I get some legs and lungs I'll be able to come out on a ride or two.

Samersen

I have a white BMC, my wife has a blue Diamondback. My buddy will be on a gold Trek. Do you park at the church or upper parking lot?

sixstringsteve

I usually park at the church, ride high bench up to rodeo up, then ride rodeo down, to middle. I've been enjoying zig and zag and brown dog lately as well.

Samersen

I am just about to leave Orem now and head up. So I suspect I will get there about the time you are leaving. We will have to meet up another time :)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Picked up my bike today. I ended up with a Specialized Crave 29, I'm pretty excited to get out on it...

vkn15ZKl.jpg

sixstringsteve

does anyone have a fat bike? I'm thinking of getting one this winter. This video inspired me:

[video=youtube;CJG6XmSYLNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJG6XmSYLNw[/video]

MattL

does anyone have a fat bike? I'm thinking of getting one this winter. This video inspired me:

[video=youtube;CJG6XmSYLNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJG6XmSYLNw[/video]

I was initially concerned with weight but this settles that
Complete bike with Bluto will weigh approximately 24.5 – 25 lbs per
Snow bikes ike surly are heavy 38lbs.
I think it would have its place but i also see it as a fad/niche. Would be a blast in sand and snow.
Id like to try one.

sixstringsteve

It wouldn't be my only bike, my GT isn't going anywhere. I'd be a winter/fun hardtail. I'd also like to try bikepacking, like doing the white rim trail carrying tents, sleeping bags, etc. That sounds like a fun trip. I think a fatbike could be great for that.

Last edited:

MattL

it wouldn't be my only bike. I'd also like to try bikepacking and I think a fatbike could do the trick.

Would be fun but... this deters me from this bike

How much will it cost? - MSRP’s Below

Echo Frame: $1949
Echo Frame/Bluto Fork/headset: $2649
Echo X0X9: $3999
Echo X01: $5199
Echo XX1: $5999
Echo XX1 with Carbondale rims: $7199

Ive known several people do the bikepacking set up and go pretty much one or two times and call it quits. I think the thing behind it is you have to selectively go where you can "go" and keep momentum.
There are a few that bypass this and done insane stand alone endurance races (Tour divide, iditarod bike race) that... well I dont know if this is bikepacking or just all out nuts.

On the other hand I know alot more people that have done the tote a loaded bike and go "touring"

sixstringsteve

yeah, that's not a cheap bike, but the video gets me excited about the idea of being able to use a fatbike for more than just snow. That being said, I'd love to be able to keep riding through the winter.

Last winter we were snowshoeing up AF Canyon and some fatbikes passed us and it looked like so much fun.

Tonkaman

I rode a fat bike at the expo last week, and I was surprised at how squishy and wobbly the ride was. They had a small obstacle coarse set up and I had a hard time keeping a line with all the tire squish going on. I was not impressed