Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

chad, I'm super jealous. Let us know how it goes. A group of friends is planning on riding the whole enchilada once the la sals melt some more snow off.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I will. This is kind of a warm up for the whole enchilada. I hope to ride that this year.

I wonder how fat bikes would perform. My dad had a yamaha TW which has pretty fat tires. The traction was not very good anywhere flotation wasn't an advantage. I think there is a balance between weight and contact area. Epic bikes in Saratoga Springs rents them. I'd like to try one.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

All I know is that I'm useless in the snow with my current MTB. I may be equally useless on a fatbike. Who knows. I definitely plan on renting before purchasing one.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
My dad has been doing winter triathlons with a fatbike for a few years. Its fun, but doesn't provide the advantage I would hope for considering its such a dedicated bike. And sand sucks no matter what without an engine.

I rode about half of the slick rock trail on it, and that was interesting. I was happy when we traded back and I got back on my full suspension.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Just got back from moab. We ended up riding kokapeli, upper and lower porcupine single track and porcupine rim. Kokapeli and ups are the funnest trails I have ever ridden on a mtb. LPS and porcupine rim were fun but rough with lots of ledges. Rode 25 miles, it took most of the day and I was beat. I don't know how I can go to moab now without a mountain bike.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Those are great pics.

Little Man got a new bike today. Found a 24 inch Diamondback at REI for a slightly-less-than-stupid price, and he'd outgrown his last bike, so we upgraded him. This one's a 21 speed, I'm hoping he'll be able to pull hills a little better once he learns the gears.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Those are great pics.

Little Man got a new bike today. Found a 24 inch Diamondbike at REI for a slightly-less-than-stupid price, and he'd outgrown his last bike, so we upgraded him. This one's a 21 speed, I'm hoping he'll be able to pull hills a little better once he learns the gears.

That's great. I have been looking for a 24" but everything I find is super heavy or super expensive. I have a while to look but I'm getting excited. This guy's is only 3 and he made it 2 miles on the Murdock canal last week. This was an impromptu and unnecessary bike repair.
uploadfromtaptalk1400521697659.jpg

sixstringsteve

I've heard of a lot of guys just buying small 26" bikes and throwing 24" wheels on them for the first year or two, then putting the 26" wheels back on once their kid has grown into the bike a bit more. The bottom bracket will be 1" lower to the ground on 24's, but apart from that it should be the same. Fortunately with disc brakes, you can now run smaller wheels on a bigger frame.

I agree though, they're either $2500 24" bikes, or walmart joke bikes that weigh 50 lbs.

Kevin B.

That's great. I have been looking for a 24" but everything I find is super heavy or super expensive. I have a while to look but I'm getting excited.

REI has a couple 24" by their house brand Novara for under $300, and the Diamondback was $309 but on sale, so I snagged it. It's definitely lighter than the Toys R Us special he had before, but it isn't light on it's own merits. He can pick it up if he has to, but it'll be a year before he can shoulder it. If I found a solid fork in the right size that would probably lighten it a few pounds, it isn't like he needs suspension yet anyway and even if he did the one on this bike wouldn't cut it. :)

That's a cool idea, Steve. I was going to say it seems silly to invest in disc brakes for a bike he's going to grow out of, but he wouldn't grow out of the 26. I'll have to remember that when I do this again in eight years.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Isn't kokapeli 140+ miles long? Which part did you ride that was fun?

Is UPS upper porcupine? I'd love to ride these trails with you sometime.

We basically rode the whole enchilada from lasal loop road down. Yes Ups is upper porcupine single-track. The upper section was really smooth and "flowy".

sixstringsteve

It'd only make sense for the kids that are riding a lot and really progressing. I don't imagine myself paying $2500 plus for a bike for my kid, but I could see spending $600-700 if he rides weekly. There aren't any $600-700 24" bikes, so it seems like the only viable option.

Kevin B.

On the topic of expensive bikes, I've started looking around for a real bike again. I would really like to get back on another 29er, I loved the feel of my last one. I'm also thinking that I might like to try a full suspension setup, I've never owned one. It is crazy hard to find a quality full suspension 29er for a decent price. I might have to start shopping used bikes, and I hate shopping used bikes.

sixstringsteve

what do you consider a "decent price"?

And what do you hate more, used bikes, or indecent prices? ;)

I'd be happy to tune up any bike you get. I've spend 5 glorious years as a bike mechanic and I'd be happy to do that for free.