Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Looking at my Strava results from Tuesday morning these are the stats:
7.3 miles in 28:01
Avg Speed 15.7 mph. In one segment where I push it pretty hard every day, my avg speed was 18.8 mph and max speed was 26.6 mph, I kinda cruise the rest of the way. That segment is 0.6 miles.
I listed this info cause I don't know my cadence.

I guess I am cheating on this bike. Its a hardtail, but while commuting I'm running 700x32 road tires.
Strava says I have ridden 91 miles so far with this new bike.

I'm no expert on these things, but I'll just say that there's a huge difference between what gears you're liking on the street and what gears you'll be using on the trail. I'd wait until you hit some dirt before you decide to invest in new chain rings and such.

I figured this was the case which is why I had thought swapping the chain rings for a couple teeth bigger would be easy enough to lift the "easy" range up a bit. I guess I like the theory of 2x10 giving more usable gears and would prefer to keep it with this setup.

This is the only pic I have on my phone. I know its a tease because I'm hiding the drive train but its what I've got right now. I'll have take a better one tonight.
vkn15ZKl.jpg

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Nice looking bike nate. For some reason I thought we were talking about an old model but since it's so new you should have an easier time changing parts out

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Its a 2014 Specialized Crave - link to specs. I was going to go with the rockhopper but Bountiful Bicycle had a sale in April which put this in the same range as the RH. I was also interested in this one for the air fork to help with my heft. :eek:

I was riding a 20+ year old Giant rigid bike last year that may have caused the confusion Derek.

sixstringsteve

I can see myself getting a cromo hardtail in the next week or two...

It won't be replacing any of my current bikes, just an addition to the stable.

sixstringsteve

I'll be riding a bit this afternoon.

I'd be up for a morning ride on Monday. Maybe a shuttle ride up AF Canyon if the trails are open?

sixstringsteve

I just ordered a Cotic Soul frame. I can't wait to build it up. I don't expect anyone else to think it's cool, but I sure do. It's just a good solid cro-mo hardtail 26" frame with awesome geometry.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Who uses a suspension seat? Are they any substitute for a proper rear suspension? If I can't find a full suspension 29er with a price I like, I might build a tweener out of my current frame, but I'd really like a little more cushion under my cushion, if you know what I mean.

sixstringsteve

Anybody doing the Wednesday Sundance races?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I really enjoy riding Sundance, but I don't csre for racing. Probably because in totally suck at it. For some reason, competition sucks out all the fun of riding for me. I'd really like to go watch some of the races though.

sixstringsteve

Who uses a suspension seat?

I'm probably misunderstanding, but I assume you're talking about suspension seat posts? I've never owned one, but I've ridden plenty of bikes with them. If you're talking about a suspension seat, I'd personally avoid them.

Are they any substitute for a proper rear suspension?

Nope. If you ride sitting down all the time (including downhill), it can be nice on your tailbone. It prevents a lot of the vibrations from transfering to your spine, but the rear end will still kinda bounce over stuff and your calves will still take the brunt of it. As I'm sure you know, a good suspension will not only reduce jarring in your butt, but your entire body, especially legs, calfs, butt, and knees. A well-designed suspension will help your bike handle better overall in bumps, in climbing, and will reduce fatigue to your body (though that isn't their main objective).

If I can't find a full suspension 29er with a price I like, I might build a tweener out of my current frame, but I'd really like a little more cushion under my cushion, if you know what I mean.

What frame is it? What issues are you having? General soreness during or after riding? Numbness during a ride? Jarring to the tailbone/spine area? If you're talking about a springy/gel seat, I typically recommend people avoid them. It defies logic, but a good seat won't be super cushy (unless you only ride once every month or two). A lot of the gel seats (especially the gel toppers you throw over your current seat) just squish the gel towards your prostate and do more harm than good. A well-designed seat will help you transfer your weight to your sit bones instead of your cushion. This makes a good seat feel uncomfortable for the first few rides, but as your body toughens up, it doesn't become an issue. Here are a few good seats for bigger guys and/or recreational riders:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/saddles/recreational-saddles

Kevin B.

I get numb on long rides, and tailbone pain if it gets bumpy. I like the simplicity (and price tag) of a hard tail setup, just wondering what folks experiences have been with suspension seatposts and if that sort of half-measure might suit me, or if I really just need to save up for a full-suspension frame.

I don't have significant experience with either, so I'm looking for insight.

sixstringsteve

Gotcha. I reckon a good seat will fix the numbness, and riding technique will help and may completely solve the rest. (i haven't watched you ride enough to know if you have good or bad technique, but from your comments it sounds like you sit 98% of the time you're riding).

I like the simplicity (and price tag) of hardtails too. In fact, I miss riding hardtails so much that I'm building up another one as we speak, despite having my dream full suspension bike. Remember that the material a hardtail is made of makes a world of a difference. Aluminum hardtails are stiff, light, and cheap. The stiffness is awesome for sprinting, but it sure beats you up. All the little vibrations from your rear wheel transfer to your frame then cranks to your feet, calves, and thighs. Anyone who's had a good cromolly (steel) or titanium (not cheap) hardtail will rave about how much smoother the ride is compared to aluminum. It's still not as smooth as a full suspension, but it really is a huge difference in frame material. Kona has some great steel hardtails. I think a honzo (29er) or an explosif (650b) would be an awesome bike for you. Pinkbike.com has quite a few good used bikes on the for sale section.

Another thing to consider is riding technique. Learning to stand as you coast is huge. You may already do this, but if not, try it. Standing on the downhills (even little ones) really gives your sitting parts a break, and it transfers your weight to the pedals. When I ride rush down, I stand the whole way. It's a little tiring on the quads, but it makes the bike handle so much better. I bought this book and it has helped my riding immensely. He has a saying that he says over and over and over again throughout the book. He says "light hands, heavy feet." What he means is, when riding, you want the majority of your weight on your feet, not on your grips. Your hands should be light enough that you could almost let go without falling forward. A lot of my friends ride with heavy hands and heavy seats, which really throws the balance way off. You'll notice in the book how he always has his seat slightly lowered and his arms and knees bent in attack position. Like this:

112310stripesattack.jpg

Here's an imagine someone took from that book:

KI 002.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin B.

I didn't know that about aluminum frames. The Trek 4300 I'm on now is an aluminum frame, maybe I'll rethink building this one up.

I do need to stand more when I ride. Better pedals/shoes and better leg tone would help with that, I'm sure.

sixstringsteve

yeah, the frame material makes a big difference. 90lb xc racers can really get beat up bad from an aluminum or overly stiff carbon hardtail. Once you go full suspension, aluminum and carbon rock since they're rock solid, stiff, light, and the suspension ends up taking the abuse rather than your legs.

sixstringsteve

kev, what's your height and inseam? The good news about 29ers is that they're falling out of fashion, so you can pick them up a lot cheaper than a few years ago.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

6'4", 34" I think? I ride a big bike. The last time I bought new from an LBS, the drone whipped out his chart and said a 19" frame would be just perfect for me, and that'll be the last time I spring for a new bike without a professional fitting. I think I need at least a 21".

That's what makes shopping used bikes hard - not a lot of guys out there ride a frame that big.