Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Tonkaman

That's great. I have been looking for a 24" but everything I find is super heavy or super expensive. I have a while to look but I'm getting excited. This guy's is only 3 and he made it 2 miles on the Murdock canal last week. This was an impromptu and unnecessary bike repair.
View attachment 91549

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Wow that is unreal! You must tell me your secret to discipline because my daughter couldn't sit down for 2 miles let alone pedal

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
what do you consider a "decent price"?

And what do you hate more, used bikes, or indecent prices? ;)

I'd be happy to tune up any bike you get. I've spend 5 glorious years as a bike mechanic and I'd be happy to do that for free.

It's hard to spend more on a mountain bike I'll use maybe once a month than I spent on the 4Runner I drive daily and every weekend, you know? And used bikes are hard to shop for when you need a bigger frame. There's not many bikes for sale out there with a frame big enough to suit me, and nobody ever puts frame size in their ads anyway. I end up having to email on every bike I see that I might like and then keep track of which bikes are big enough and who's emailed me back and who hasn't and it's just a giant pain in the butt.

I didn't know you'd been a tech. I'll definitely hit you up, I'm not a skilled tuner. Adjusting derailleurs in particular gives me fits.

MattL

On the topic of expensive bikes, I've started looking around for a real bike again. I would really like to get back on another 29er, I loved the feel of my last one. I'm also thinking that I might like to try a full suspension setup, I've never owned one. It is crazy hard to find a quality full suspension 29er for a decent price. I might have to start shopping used bikes, and I hate shopping used bikes.

I have an older large Titus Racer frame I am going to sell if your interested. Its only a 26 incher though.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
How hard is it to swap out chainrings? I have a 2x10 geared MTB with 36/22 chainrings and find I'm using the lowest gear often while commuting on it to work. I've been thinking about upping the teeth count but have no idea whether thats a good idea or not. I thought I read somewhere that if I do do that I ought to go with a 37/24 setup. I haven't been on any trails yet with this bike but did ride up memory grove in slc wednesday. I used a lot more gears than I typically do but still stayed on the 36 chainring.

Do you experienced guys see any downsides to going with lower gears for a new guy like me? I do intend to hit some trails but not for a bit longer till I get some legs and lungs. I'm riding a Specialized Crave if that matters.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Swapping isn't hard. You may need a longer chain with a bigger ring. I would go more than 1 tooth. I doubt you would notice 1 tooth enough to make it worth the cost.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Are you on your highest (smallest) gear in the back? I'm with glockman, you won't feel a 1 tooth difference. Swapping it out is just 4 allen bolts.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Yeah, I've been riding with it on the hardest gear combination. Biggest chainring and smallest on the cassette. What chainring setup do you all think I should go to? Would it be better to change out the cassette? I don't know that I'll do this right away but I've been thinking about it pretty hard this week. If I'm running the hardest combo with my weak legs now I'm sure I'm going to want more in a month when I'm in a bit better shape and I skinny up a bit more. It makes sense that I'd need a bigger chain and I'm fine with that. Its just money, right?

sixstringsteve

I'd just change the biggest chainring to something like a 40t. That being said, a 40t may not clear your chainstays, and you may need to convert it to a 3 ring setup up front. You must be cruising. I have a 32t up front and I very rarely max it out. Then again, I don't commute on it.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
If I'm running the hardest combo with my weak legs now I'm sure I'm going to want more in a month when I'm in a bit better shape and I skinny up a bit more.

I'm no expert on these things, but I'll just say that there's a huge difference between what gears you're liking on the street and what gears you'll be using on the trail. I'd wait until you hit some dirt before you decide to invest in new chain rings and such.

Tonkaman

What is your cadence while in your tallest gear? Unless your going over 130 it's not too short. I think your best option will be to look into 3 rings like Steve said. Doing so will not be cheap tho since it may require a new front derailer with shifter, chain, and possibly cranks

sixstringsteve

You most likely won't need a new front derailer. You may need a new front shifter, but you probably wouldn't need a cranks. Got any pics of your bike?