Anyone into 3D printing?

1969honda

Supporting Member
From my limited experience working with my kids' printer, I would take @STAG's advice and get the Ender. There's a massive online support community for every issue you may run into.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Wow, what an intricate kit. 6lbs of screws, nuts, and bolts, 7 stepper motors, 4 fans. I bought printed parts with enough pieces to get the printer to run, but no embellishments. It is assembled, to the degree I have parts, wired, and initial smoke test (negative for smoke). I had preloaded the SD card on the Raspberry Pi and it's pretty cool to watch Linux boot in tiny little letters on the display (albeit upside down, for now). Tomorrow I'll work on getting MainSail and Klipper installed. Who knows, maybe even I'll be able to squirt some plastic.

If you squint really hard you can almost see the LED's glowing.
Bed heater is 120V 750W and is controlled by the solid state switch in the bottom left.

Top right is the raspberry pi (version 4b),
below that is the BigTreeTech Octopus 1.1,
bottom right is a breakout board for the cable to the print head and limit switches.
You can see 2 of the 4 Z-axis stepper motors to the top left and right.

20231014_194802.jpg

The entire frame, upside down.

20231014_200738.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I got the first layer dialed in now.. I am really amazed that a setting change of .005mm actually made a big difference.
Ignore the scratch I made in the process...

20231026_194730.jpg

pretty happy with the results

20231026_194744.jpg

and I like the large printer space
20231026_194248.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've been an electronics tech for 25 years. Printers (the paper type) are definitely manufactured in hell as per Stephen's link. 3D printers are actually much easier to operate and maintain.

RockChucker

Been redoing the air supply for my lockers. Got a smokin deal on an arb twin about 6 months ago. Decided to change up and simplify. Solenoids are going away and moving to Humphrey poppet valves. Designed and printed up a mount for the valves and switches out of ASA. IMG_5854.jpeg

Corban_White

So I'm looking at getting a 3d printer, but I'm a total noob and googling gives me lots of results. For a $200-$500 budget what's your recommendation? The ender 3 had several recommendations above, is that the way to go or is there a better option if I spend a little more?