Anyone into 3D printing?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped

ebryson

So I'm looking at getting a 3d printer, but I'm a total noob and googling gives me lots of results. For a $200-$500 budget what's your recommendation? The ender 3 had several recommendations above, is that the way to go or is there a better option if I spend a little more?
I would have to say its a good option. All depends on how big of objects you want to print. What I recommend is getting a heated bed and with an enclosure (you can buy enclosures for the open design printers). The heated bed helps with bed adhesion and the enclosure helps control the temp if you printing something other than PLA.

STAG

On my grind
I absolutely love my Anycubic Kobra Max. Looks like they’re on Amazon right now for $470.

It has a 15”x15”x17” print volume and sometimes I definitely use the extra space.

I was happy with my Prusa MK3s+ but not $1,100 happy. Don’t get me wrong, it’s very well built and never once gave me any issues. And the magnetic flex sheets were awesome. Weirdly, sometimes it was a very loud printer. I had it when I lived in Hawaii and printed in my apartment and I was often scared about my neighbors complaining about the noise during overnight prints. I never did figure out why sometimes it was loud.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I absolutely love my Anycubic Kobra Max. Looks like they’re on Amazon right now for $470.

It has a 15”x15”x17” print volume and sometimes I definitely use the extra space.

I was happy with my Prusa MK3s+ but not $1,100 happy. Don’t get me wrong, it’s very well built and never once gave me any issues. And the magnetic flex sheets were awesome. Weirdly, sometimes it was a very loud printer. I had it when I lived in Hawaii and printed in my apartment and I was often scared about my neighbors complaining about the noise during overnight prints. I never did figure out why sometimes it was loud.
$409 direct. hmmmm.

STAG

On my grind
I’m a total newbie as well.

Are these all compatible with different design software or is the software tied to the printer?
Compatible with different software.

The software spits out “g-code” and the hardware translates that to movement.

I use cura for most of my prints but for my Prusa I used their software download but it would also print Cura files if I wanted, and I could print PrusaSlicer files on my Anycubic machine too. So they are swappable.

There was another software I can’t remember the name of, something3D, but it was a paid software and I tried it because it have a little different control for the support material. In the end I ended up hating that one and went back to Cura.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I’m a total newbie as well.

Are these all compatible with different design software or is the software tied to the printer?
What stag said. Basically you take a cad file in .obj or whatever format and open it in a slicer. I use cura but there are many. You adjust the temps, layer height, nozzle size and infil % in the slicer and it spits out the move directions (g code file) for the printer to execute.

It's super easy. I was up and running with my ender in about 3 hours with very little cad background. A printer is an awesome winter project.

Tonkaman

Great feedback. I’m thinking our house could benefit greatly from one of these.

I love projects, my kid needs distraction and my wife has a hobby business that could actually turn some revenue.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The Kobra 2 showed up today and it's a nice unit. Got it setup and did the tugboat test print. Seems better than some of the prints I've seen in person in the past (granted, that was over 5 years ago)

Just waiting for the spools to show up go copy all of Chad's things

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If you have a tool box, you need a 3D printer. So many tool organizers to play with and they cost pennies to print.
This is the main reason I have thought about buying one........I don't think my wife would understand that though. But then again, I can't understand why she needs 75+ pairs of shoes in her closet.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This is the main reason I have thought about buying one........I don't think my wife would understand that though. But then again, I can't understand why she needs 75+ pairs of shoes in her closet.
Creality had the Ender 3 standard for something like $135. You need that and a $20 spool of PLA and you can be printing tool box organizers in an afternoon.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My FIL has the Creality Sonic Pad setup running Klipper. He has one of my old Ender 3's and a few other's (Ender 5 etc) running off of it. He's getting 160-200 MM/S off of the old school Ender 3 using Klipper. I run at 60 mm/s. His slow down for certain things...base layer, walls, certain angles and corners, but it blasted off a print in 27 minutes that takes us 68 minutes. Now I'm intrigued.

the new Ender 3 V3 KE is boasting speeds of 500 mm/s. I struggle to see how the quality would hold up at those speeds....the printer would look like it just did some of the FS of FL's bath salts or something.

I did just turn up the speed on our new S1 to 80 mm/s and that didn't seem to bother it at all. I wish our printing business was busy enough to justify spending a few hundred bucks on it, because I think I could get 4 of these S1's or the KE's running off of that Sonic Pad and be able to do the same volume as we were doing when we had 18 printers running.

Tonkaman

Ok forgive me, I haven’t done much research on my own. Perhaps you guys can save me the time on a few questions.

1- What specs really matter when comparing printers? Print speed, bed temperature, and nozzle temperature?

2- what filaments are you guys using for final products? ABS?

3- Should I get an enclosed bed to open up more possibilities?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Ok forgive me, I haven’t done much research on my own. Perhaps you guys can save me the time on a few questions.

1- What specs really matter when comparing printers? Print speed, bed temperature, and nozzle temperature?

I don't understand what you are saying.. but I know a flatbed is always better :rofl: ;)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped

1. Most printers will have a heated bed, I don't think you'll see much to differentiate there. Print speed is definitely a consideration as well as print bed size. Print temperature is a consideration if you're doing ABS or the higher temp filaments. This is where you need to ask yourself what will you be printing? Most desk toys don't care what filament you're printing with, tool box organizers won't care, parts you can print for a quarter probably won't care... ;) A lot of the 3D - 2A crowd are printing glock receivers in PLA+.
2. Most of my prints are PLA, I have done some PETG and TPU but they are rare. Heat resistance is a consideration, I haven't put any prints out in my car on a hot day, the dog leash holder I printed for the back porch has been there over a year in the weather and is just PLA and has held up fine, when it finally breaks I'll reprint it for $0.25 and move on. I did print a part for my dishwasher and it survived for over a year before it broke printed in PLA.
3. If you're printing higher temp filaments then yes to enclosed bed. I messed with ABS at one point and the bed temp really had to be up there, I made an enclosure to help hold heat but the material was such a pain I didn't do much with it.

My preferences for material PLA+ > TPU > PETG, I haven't messed with ASA from what I've read it's similar to ABS for printing. I don't have any outdoor/high temp print requirements that would justify it yet. When I printed with PETG and ABS the bed temp is way more critical than with PLA, material liked to curl if bed temp wasn't high enough with PETG, I think I was also printing slower with PETG.

Just some printing temps to throw out there these are in Celcius
PLA - about 200 degrees
ASA/ABS - about 250 degrees
PETG - 220 to 260

Tonkaman

1. Most printers will have a heated bed, I don't think you'll see much to differentiate there. Print speed is definitely a consideration as well as print bed size. Print temperature is a consideration if you're doing ABS or the higher temp filaments. This is where you need to ask yourself what will you be printing? Most desk toys don't care what filament you're printing with, tool box organizers won't care, parts you can print for a quarter probably won't care... ;) A lot of the 3D - 2A crowd are printing glock receivers in PLA+.
2. Most of my prints are PLA, I have done some PETG and TPU but they are rare. Heat resistance is a consideration, I haven't put any prints out in my car on a hot day, the dog leash holder I printed for the back porch has been there over a year in the weather and is just PLA and has held up fine, when it finally breaks I'll reprint it for $0.25 and move on. I did print a part for my dishwasher and it survived for over a year before it broke printed in PLA.
3. If you're printing higher temp filaments then yes to enclosed bed. I messed with ABS at one point and the bed temp really had to be up there, I made an enclosure to help hold heat but the material was such a pain I didn't do much with it.

My preferences for material PLA+ > TPU > PETG, I haven't messed with ASA from what I've read it's similar to ABS for printing. I don't have any outdoor/high temp print requirements that would justify it yet. When I printed with PETG and ABS the bed temp is way more critical than with PLA, material liked to curl if bed temp wasn't high enough with PETG, I think I was also printing slower with PETG.

Just some printing temps to throw out there these are in Celcius
PLA - about 200 degrees
ASA/ABS - about 250 degrees
PETG - 220 to 260
That’s great feedback, thank you!

Whenever I have a moment in my mind that I think would be perfect for a 3D printer, I feel like it’s out in the shop. I think I’d like to make problem solvers that will live in a vehicle or outside. I think that means I’ll likely be using ABS or ASA?

I assume the listed bed size is not actual printing space right? How close to the edge of the bed can these print? I can’t imagine any big projects, but I’d sure hate to feel like I should have gone bigger.

Is there a downside to bigger printers besides cost? Are they harder to keep warm due to volume or is that not really an issue?