Eagles Nest illegal bypass

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Badger said:
i have an idea for blocking the left hand pass.why not take all that shattered rock at the bottom of eagles nest and make a natural wall on the left hand side of the tree?

I honestly that after all that work, one idiot up there by himself would knock it over just to go that way.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
depends on how well and thick you make it.there is a lot of rock down there .this would also make the ledge a bit deeper again since you would be taking away from the bottom of it.doesn't matter what you put up its always going to get knocked down.

the fence repair up in AF is already wasted again

Greg

Admin
Greg said:
I'd be more than happy to help make this happen & I'll do everything I can to be there. It needs to be done and we members of RME adopted these trails... we need to up-keep & maintain them.

My biggest concern is what we can do with the trail & keep the BLM happy with the changes. I think if we sat down with them & showed them what we wanted to do & why, they'd be willing to give us the go-ahead. After all, it's public land and everyone needs to be thought of.

As far as the needs, I agree that the bypass around the beginning (Wolverine) needs to be blocked, as well as the bypass around the Eagles Nest. I think the fences that Hickey pointed out would be great, at the top & bottom of each bypass. Legal signage on the fence declaring it a revegetation area would be even better. If the BLM could also supply us with native materials to replant those damaged areas I think we could reverse what's been done.

Finally, how do we make a winch anchor that will last? Drilling 3 ft into that rock will be difficult, I have no idea what it would take. I know we've talked about it before, but I think we need to act... and soon.

Hey Kurt, do you know who in the BLM manages the 5 Mile Pass area? Do you have any contact info?

Meat_

Banned
Greg said:
I'd really like this thread to focus on the positive side of what it's going to take to get the damage repaired. But knowing how discussions concerning these trails go, I doubt that will be the case. :rolleyes:

I was trying to motivate peeps with the pics ;)

Cherokeester said:
I Know that, but at what cost? Look at all the damage.

Look at the damage? wtf, it's my pic. The damage isn't there because people winch up with the tree, it's there because idiots winch up with thier cable around the tree instead of a strap.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
some post hole diggers, some concrete and some rebar anchors would probably work, then cover the point with native rocks to blend it in a bit

Greg

Admin
WJ ZUK said:
some post hole diggers, some concrete and some rebar anchors would probably work, then cover the point with native rocks to blend it in a bit

I think drilling would have to be involved. I'm sure there's mostly solid rock in that area.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Cherokeester said:
I Know that, but at what cost? Look at all the damage.
We may hold some blame for that, as we did not install a winch anchor before the trail was well known. I really wish we had done that years ago.

Greg, I agree about the wall being quickly torn down/damaged. Maybe we should consider leaving the obstacle as it currently sits, and remove all of the debris from under the right side to keep a difficulty level. It sucks to even bring that up, but I can't imagine the work it would take to restore the obstacle to anything closely resembling the original.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Greg said:
I think drilling would have to be involved. I'm sure there's mostly solid rock in that area.

well a 3-4 foot piece of rebar or small diameter dom, and a BFH would tell us what we need to know

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I agree with Greg, the most urgent thing is to construct a winch anchor point above the Eagle's Nest. The tree we've been using is not going to last much longer, and we're going to have to put in a permanent winch point once it's gone. Lets get the winch point in now and save the tree. We can focus on fixing the damage that's already done later. For now lets prevent the damage that we can prevent.

Greg

Admin
RockMonkey said:
I agree with Greg, the most urgent thing is to construct a winch anchor point above the Eagle's Nest. The tree we've been using is not going to last much longer, and we're going to have to put in a permanent winch point once it's gone. Lets get the winch point in now and save the tree. We can focus on fixing the damage that's already done later. For now lets prevent the damage that we can prevent.

I like that! One thing at a time, most important first. :cool:

We need to have a few people decide on when they can go out and figure where an winch anchor would be best placed. I think one or 2 of they guys who were involved in the trails establishment ought to be present/involved.

WJ ZUK said:
well a 3-4 foot piece of rebar or small diameter dom, and a BFH would tell us what we need to know

Good luck with that. We'd have a better chance (and better results) dragging a concrete road barrier up there.

We should just start with buck-n-pole fences and some official looking signs. See how long it is before they are removed. Something permanent would be ideal, but might take some special equipment to drill into the rock.

By the way, I'd be interested in hearing about the history of this trail as someone alluded to in an earlier post.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Meat_ said:
I've been offered 2.5 ton axle shafts whenever I want them for an anchor
The axle shaft at the top of Upper Proving grounds :( was just a 30 spline 60 shaft, wasn't it? It seemed adequate. There is no good way to hook a winch to a 2.5 ton axle shaft without a strap. If I remember right, the anchor at the top of Upper Helldorado is a "loop" of rebar. It's nice because you can just slip your winch hook right over the rebar. No strap or clevis required. I don't know what would be involved in constructing such an anchor, but I'd like to see something that can be used without other equipment.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Greg said:
I like that! One thing at a time, most important first. :cool:

We need to have a few people decide on when they can go out and figure where an winch anchor would be best placed. I think one or 2 of they guys who were involved in the trails establishment ought to be present/involved.
I will most likely be very available in the next 3 weeks.:rofl:

Meat_

Banned
RockMonkey said:
..There is no good way to hook a winch to a 2.5 ton axle shaft without a strap..

Maybe take it and make up a hook out of some half inch plate?
/me *shrugs* I'm just a fan of overkill.

Greg

Admin
RockMonkey said:
The axle shaft at the top of Upper Proving grounds :( was just a 30 spline 60 shaft, wasn't it? It seemed adequate. There is no good way to hook a winch to a 2.5 ton axle shaft without a strap. If I remember right, the anchor at the top of Upper Helldorado is a "loop" of rebar. It's nice because you can just slip your winch hook right over the rebar. No strap or clevis required. I don't know what would be involved in constructing such an anchor, but I'd like to see something that can be used without other equipment.

WJ Zuk mentioned the rebar too, if we can make a hoop and anchor it properly I think it would work. Even if we had to drill into the ground, a 3/4" to 1" mason bit might work.

How would you secure the rebar into the ground so it doesn't pull out during winching?

Meat_

Banned
Greg said:
WJ Zuk mentioned the rebar too, if we can make a hoop and anchor it properly I think it would work. Even if we had to drill into the ground, a 3/4" to 1" mason bit might work.

How would you secure the rebar into the ground so it doesn't pull out during winching?

Put the hole on an angle so the top of the bar points away from the nest