Eagles Nest illegal bypass

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
It would hold if it were mounted through the concrete base and had palted belted or bolted to it on the other end or cemented in the middle. Or if we drill holes we could drill a larger hole and weld round plates or notched to the sides and cement around the hole drilled out section. I vote for the cemnt base with rebar decorated with native rocks for giggles. Now just where to dig/mount it.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Or what about an industrial eye bolt, that be sweet, something around 2 inch diameter would do. Plus would be easy to hook up and maintain.

jlowry

WJ ZUK said:
Or what about an industrial eye bolt, that be sweet, something around 2 inch diameter would do. Plus would be easy to hook up and maintain.

I think this is the best idea, so far. Good on ya! ;)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Or I know a couple of you guys have access to sweet railroad/train couplers or something. Come on Carl I saw you on the thread, stop lurking:rofl:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I thought about just making a big rebar loop in a big block of cement, and then burying the block, but I don't think we could bury it deep enough. If we tried we might end up killing the tree too. Does anyone have a pic of the Upper Helldorado anchor? I think that's the most user friendly one I've seen. Who put that one in?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Seems to me that when we discussed a winch point previously, we were leaning toward a buried concrete/rebar bundle with the attachment point being the only thing visible above ground. I sugested scratching/picking as much of a hole as possible, pounding lengths of rebar at many different angles into the side of this hole, then filling hole with concrete.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
WJ ZUK said:
I actually have a huge one of these available that I could donate. It's about 3" outside diameter.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Is that original tree still there, just bald? Or was there a tree to the left where people have made a bypass? If that is the original tree, but just bald, I bet if the usage on the left side stopped that tree would eventually grow back. It really looks like all of the limbs have been busted off of it. I know there is/was a large tree down in the wash, where did it come from? I heard in the middle area of eagles nest.

That one tree that came down the side hill I heard someone say the rain caused it to fall, and not human error. I don't remember whom I was speaking with (from here), but it was shortly after we noticed it on the ground.

The anchor I think would probably be best right by the tree. Like's been said, there's a lot of rock up there and not much dirt. And even if we did go into the rock, who's to say the rock wouldn't split and then pull out? Then there is the liability factor - who's going to put their ass on the line to put that anchor in? I'm sure that has to be factored in, too. I think RME, but is RME in that position?

I _think_ the bypass down by wolverine is heavily used because people think that is part of the actual trail - I know I did for a long time. I never went up the wash because I thought I was going off the trail if I did.

I kinda like someones idea to just put up temporary fencing and signs to see how long people respect them. That might buy enough time to figure out real solutions if they don't work. I have a roll of chain link and some posts that I'll donate.

Meat_

Banned
That's a pine on the left wayne.... and the tree still there is a cedar -_-

Chainlink? gah, the only fence that wouldn't be offensive is bunk and rail.

I think people would destroy a rock wall, but I think they would leave buck and rail alone... it's an obvious boarder, offers no thoughts of strength (no one would try and winch from it), and shouldn't be a problem with the BLM because it's not permanent

Last edited:

richpblaze

I have

A generator and a hammer drill I think a large threaded eye bolt 3 to 4 feet long would be sufficent. If its solid rock thats all the better. We would need a long bit. I think if we drilled at an angle and filled the hole with grout it would be plenty strong.

Enough blaming other people or bashing, let's take care of the problem at hand. I think the biggest problem is it seems everyone at 5 mile pass thinks its open to go ANYWHERE. I think it is all OHV's

So Greg pick a date and let's get r done.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
Meat_ said:

I think people would destroy a rock wall, but I think they would leave buck and rail alone... it's an obvious boarder, offers no thoughts of strength (no one would try and winch from it), and shouldn't be a problem with the BLM because it's not permanent

i think it will need to be more permanant than that. how long do you think it would be there before someone moved it out of the way to get around.

i am glad to see this thread got back on topic. when are we going to stop talking about it and do something official. we need to come up with a place and a time to meet and discuss it. those who can make it should be there, and those who cant, could still come out to help put it in action.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Meat_ said:

Bunk and rail was put up AF canyon and it was down in a matter of days. I think the same would happen up there. People just don't give a rats ass anymore and will do what ever the heck they feal like at the time. So we either need something indesctruble or something easily maintained (bunk and rail I suppose would fall in that category :ugh:;) ), IMO.

I realize the chain link fence is not ideal, but I have it, it's bought and paid for - ie free to the taking. I know it's ugly as sin, too, but I figured it might help for a temporary solution at least. Just trying to help....:rolleyes:

Meat_

Banned
The fence on the Forest Lake trail died an early death because it was down hill from a mud bog. This would be at the top of a hill (on Wolverine) and up hilll on a steep slick rock incline....

and it's Buck :p or sometimes (by the people who install mile upon mile of it) it starts with an F

Crinco

I have a few thoughts here.
First, the lower "bypass", KISS! If you build a wall of rock you are telling someone, here, climb this! A cement barrier would do the same thing I believe. A light weight wooden fence like the one in the photo would be best, IMHO. It will get knocked down, but easily rebuilt or replaced (and doesn't screem "climb me"). Then as Greg said, revegitate and Label.
Second, The Eagles Nest. In the photo Meat posted it is easy to see the damage caused by FEET going up the hillside to attach the cables of our winches to that poor tree. Is there a way to move the anchor down lower so there is no reason to climb the hill? And I believe the anchor point needs to be visable so people will use it and not the tree! If we can make it look nice it is a bonus.
Third, the anchor. What is the rock made out of at the Eagles Nest? I believe the anchor at Upper Hell. is drilled into the rock and cemented (glued) in place, but there are BIG rocks up there that are great for just that purpose. Can we drill a hole in any of the rocks and have it hold? Just an Idea.
Forth, the tree. IIRC, there were two trees there, the small one that is still there and a larger one down lower. I have no idea why someone would pull that tree out, unless it fell down across the trail and blocked the way through. Maybe that is how the "path" to the right got started. I don't know.
When the date is set I will try to be there to help with anything I can.

Crinco

I wonder if we could get the state to "lend" us a big orange reader sign, you know the ones that display road conditions and closures, ect... We could put that clear back at the Chevron to let people know that the trail is closed that day to keep from having traffic while the work is going on. I don't know how many people travel that trail on any spring weekend that aren't on this board, but there are bound to be a few who would be really mad for driving all the way there to find it closed.
They could then go to LM or some place else. Just a thought.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Crinco said:
Second, The Eagles Nest. In the photo Meat posted it is easy to see the damage caused by FEET going up the hillside to attach the cables of our winches to that poor tree. Is there a way to move the anchor down lower so there is no reason to climb the hill? And I believe the anchor point needs to be visable so people will use it and not the tree! If we can make it look nice it is a bonus.

actually you are completely wrong.the tree used for winching is straight ahead of the water fall and doesn't require you to walk up the hill.that damamge is done by quads and trucks taking a line to the left because going up a 4 foot wall intimidates people.going up the feft is even harder because its off camber.

Crinco

Badger said:
actually you are completely wrong.the tree used for winching is straight ahead of the water fall and doesn't require you to walk up the hill.that damamge is done by quads and trucks taking a line to the left because going up a 4 foot wall intimidates people.going up the left is even harder because its off camber.

No, the tree we have always put our tree strap around and winched off is 25 feet up the hill to the right. It is nearly straight ahead of your vehicle when "mounted" on the waterfall and therefore is a straight pull, tips the vehicle less.
Your video going over the waterfall I watched just a couple hours ago clearly shows you hooked to a different tree than I have always used. Clearly a good solid winch point is needed to save those trees!
I have seen someone in a Jeep go to the left, but he still had to winch and nearly rolled on his top into the tree in the center. I agree that the left side would be harder, but the soft soil would not last a year and the whole hill side will be coming down. Someone needs to get it blocked off before the damage gets worse!

DToy

RockMonkey said:
I thought about just making a big rebar loop in a big block of cement, and then burying the block, but I don't think we could bury it deep enough. If we tried we might end up killing the tree too. Does anyone have a pic of the Upper Helldorado anchor? I think that's the most user friendly one I've seen. Who put that one in?

I think a rebar loop is the best idea also. Drill some holes into the rock, and epoxy the rebar in. I have some high-grade epoxy and a hammer drill that I would be willing to donate to the cause. We epoxy rebar into concrete all the time. As long as the rock did not split out the epoxy would hold the rebar in, especially if we drilled 10" to 12" into the rock. I don't see why a good hammer drill wouldn't work. We just need a good piece of #8 or bigger rebar bent into a loop. Let me know when and I'll be there.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Ok, here is my thought. Even though there are over 4000 members on this board there are probably only 1000 active members, and out of that there are maybe 250 that wheel the Con. On any given week/weekend there is at least 20 members a weekend on that trail. Given this number, if each member was to by into what we want to do the trail would changer very quickly.

Now, if every time you ran the trail you picked you one rock and removed it from the bottom of some of there obstacles (like the Nest) it would not take to long to take it back to where it was. Call it an “offering to the Gods) so to speak. If you remove the rock before the climb the better chance you will make it.

What most of you guys don’t know is what lays under all that debris at the bottom of the Nest. This obstacle is a two step fall. It the pic that Kurt posted of the early days, that truck has a 115” wheel base.

We have talked about the winch point many times before. It is needed or we would not be having this conversation. My question here is, with all these members, does anyone have access to the type of equipment we need to drill a hole? Let alone get the equipment up the trail. Please speak up if you do.

I think we should make a plan to “reclaim” the trail when the weather is in our favor. Some time at the end of April or early May. Maybe by then the Cruiser will be ready to work on the trail again.

Just some thoughts.