Northern Utah Freeze Your Tail Off 4

notajeep

Just me
Can you even get out to there? I thought that all the gates to Promontory Point had been closed by the rail road?
This, I don't know. I was just looking on the map and thought they sounded interesting. And a brief google search didn't say anything about closures. Looks like there are 3 roads that go out, 2 from the north, and one that comes in from the east.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Can you even get out to there? I thought that all the gates to Promontory Point had been closed by the rail road?

You can drive to Promontory point on the east side of the Promontory range--Ive done that its all pavement. However I believe the West side (spiral jetty side) is gated private property. No idea on the caves I was under the impression they were on private land but don't know for sure.

notajeep

Just me
You can drive to Promontory point on the east side of the Promontory range--Ive done that its all pavement. However I believe the West side (spiral jetty side) is gated private property. No idea on the caves I was under the impression they were on private land but don't know for sure.

From what little research I have done, there seem to be a lot of caves out there, many with indian stuff to look at. Google maps shows several routes from east to west across the point. However, I don't know, and it doesn't say where any private land starts.
I would think that for an initial recon, drive down the paved route until you were just east of indian cove, and check out some of the roads/trails that head west. If it is gated and marked PP, then oh well, if there is some land there that is free to explore even better.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Dayem, you guys are killing me. My kids don't wanna come, and my wife has committed to Christmas gatherings Friday night. Maybe I'll drop her off and ball out there at midnight, sleep in the X, watch the sun come up, and jet back home (they wouldn't have a Jr Jazz game on that Saturday, would they?)

Thats super lame. You should ditch your family and come.

Well, looks like I'm going to have to skip this event after all. My surgeon just called and will be able to move some surgery that I had previously scheduled for January up to this Thursday. Not thinking my foot will be up to going camping after that.

Now I have to break it to my daughter.

Well, thats good and bad, I suppose. Hopefully you can make it next time!

This event falls on my free weekend but not all certain if can go yet but should be able to find out soon. I haven't been yet and would like to go. I have yet to drive out in that area before. I heard it's fun. Put me down as a maybe for now.

What's the difference in trails from the brigham city side vs the other wendover route? What's the reasoning behind splitting up?

If I go, I will most likely sleep in my big tent or the yota to keep warm. If it gets too cold, I will use a propane indoor safe heater. I can always slightly crack a window or two a sliver if need to if the few gaps and holes in it are not enough.

Looks like there will be quite a few people going. Gonna be a nice convoy.

We offer both routes just to give people options. It seems that most will be going the TCRR route, though.

DAA

Supporting Member
I'm just waiting to see what the temps are going to be. As long as it looks to be well below freezing, I'll be there. If the forecast is for mud, I'm prolly not gonna though.

- DAA

RogueJeepr

Here!
Awesome , My camera mount showed up friday but the significant other says I'll have to wait till X-mas . Dang.
Did my first oil change to the XJ. While I was under there I gave everything a good grease and inspection , swapped in new gas shocks for the hatch and picked up a better spare tire (old tire was seperating) .
Cut and loaded more firewood (the good clean stuff).

Come on friday !

DAA

Supporting Member
I've thought about going that way too. Maybe taking the Pilot road cutoff to Montello - I usually go that way in daylight, it's usually a couple minutes faster and cuts some miles off. At night it's faster staying on the pavement though - too many cows wandering out on that cutoff at night. Staying on the highway (not taking the Pilot cutoff), it's roughly 85 - 90 miles to the sewer pipes. With only about the last 10 or 11 of that on dirt. I don't go too fast on the highway up to Montello at night either, seen too many critters jump out. And there is construction going on this side of Silverzone that usually slows me down (they're building a huge tunnel). So, I'm thinking maybe about an hour and a half from the Salt Flats Cafe to the tunnels going that way at night? Could be a few minutes longer, depending?

It's only about 50 miles from the cafe going straight there. All dirt. I have not driven it for a year or two, conditions change, but last time I did, during the day, it was mostly 50 MPH dirt. So, a little over an hour to the tunnels. But at night, maybe conditions not so good, it could be more like 25 MPH and take two hours.

Hard to say. Really depends on conditions and what kind of shape the dirt road is in. Figure if you can't average a good 30 MPH on it at night, it probably will be just as fast going the long way around.

- DAA

notajeep

Just me
Earlier this summer, that road was fine mostly. Not much in the way of washboards, but there were some big rollers that at 80mph were a bit rough...

3YLSYKR

Those work good and are great to have and seem to be safe.

I use one of their smaller heaters, the little buddy, in a small 2 man canvas RTT. I open a window just a crack and havent died yet(may have lost brain cells though :O ). It has a low oxygen shutoff and a tip over shutoff so i feel more comfortable sleeping with it right next to me.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...kwcid=goobase_goobase_filler&cID=GSHOP_411148

View attachment 78015

Don't think I'm going to be ready in time for this sadly. I want to make a trip out there sometime to check it out. I still have a few things to get done on the 4runner first to be safer and better off. I will make one of the next ones and try to get out and meet some of you soon.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I was down at Cabelas today picking up a heater for my tent and I came across some nice mittens. 150g thinsulate not the thickest, but $24.99 deer hide palm nice camping/hunting gloves

sixstringsteve

I'm getting excited...

She doesn't know it yet, but I got my wife a new sleeping bag for this trip. I can't' wait to give it to her.