Northern Utah Freeze Your Tail Off 4

Dayem, you guys are killing me. My kids don't wanna come, and my wife has committed to Christmas gatherings Friday night. Maybe I'll drop her off and ball out there at midnight, sleep in the X, watch the sun come up, and jet back home (they wouldn't have a Jr Jazz game on that Saturday, would they?)

SpeedyVic

Well, looks like I'm going to have to skip this event after all. My surgeon just called and will be able to move some surgery that I had previously scheduled for January up to this Thursday. Not thinking my foot will be up to going camping after that.

Now I have to break it to my daughter.

3YLSYKR

This event falls on my free weekend but not all certain if can go yet but should be able to find out soon. I haven't been yet and would like to go. I have yet to drive out in that area before. I heard it's fun. Put me down as a maybe for now.

What's the difference in trails from the brigham city side vs the other wendover route? What's the reasoning behind splitting up?

If I go, I will most likely sleep in my big tent or the yota to keep warm. If it gets too cold, I will use a propane indoor safe heater. I can always slightly crack a window or two a sliver if need to if the few gaps and holes in it are not enough.

Looks like there will be quite a few people going. Gonna be a nice convoy.

Last edited:

heavy18

XJNation
I'm in.

I'll be bringing at least 2 of my boys, perhaps 3 (ages 10, 6 & 4). Pretty sure we'll all squeeze into the XJ for sleeping - I'll be in the front seats, it's a bench :D. Oh, and Cabela's online is having a special on big-buddy heaters and they have a free shipping code on their homepage... so I just ordered one and it should be here by the 21st. $85.19 to my door - not sure how many *expo points* I lose for using it but I'll take the hit!

I'll also bring a bunch of cut-up 2x4's for the fire(s). Looking forward to meeting some of you!

RogueJeepr

Here!
I have 3 firepits from 2 barrels I cut up today if anybody is intrested . Could be used for home or camping .

Also ordered a windshield mount for my Midland action cam should be here by friday.:cool:

Id love one of those heater-buddies. Sounds like a great deal . I dont see how that could be negative Expo-points .

Last edited:

Westernhunter

Watch the combustibles with the buddy heaters. I think you need 30" above, and 6" on the sides.
I would hate to see a rig burn, much less a family. Might be safer to just idle your engine.
Bring extra fuel.
Just sayin.

Team1k

I use one of their smaller heaters, the little buddy, in a small 2 man canvas RTT. I open a window just a crack and havent died yet(may have lost brain cells though :O ). It has a low oxygen shutoff and a tip over shutoff so i feel more comfortable sleeping with it right next to me.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...kwcid=goobase_goobase_filler&cID=GSHOP_411148

heater.jpg

Watch the combustibles with the buddy heaters. I think you need 30" above, and 6" on the sides.
I would hate to see a rig burn, much less a family. Might be safer to just idle your engine.
Bring extra fuel.
Just sayin.

notajeep

Just me
Any interest in going to see the Indian caves on Promontory Point Saturday? Weather and road conditions permitting of course.

Anyone ever been out there?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I use one of their smaller heaters, the little buddy, in a small 2 man canvas RTT. I open a window just a crack and havent died yet(may have lost brain cells though :O ). It has a low oxygen shutoff and a tip over shutoff so i feel more comfortable sleeping with it right next to me.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...kwcid=goobase_goobase_filler&cID=GSHOP_411148

View attachment 78015

I've used one of these in the back of my 4Runner. I strap it to the roll bar so I can't kick it over.

Westernhunter

Any interest in going to see the Indian caves on Promontory Point Saturday? Weather and road conditions permitting of course.

Anyone ever been out there?

Yes, interested! I have never heard of them. I am always in for exploring new grounds. I have driven the old RR grade. Looking for other possibilitys. This makes me even more excited for this trip.

sixstringsteve

Yes, interested! I have never heard of them. I am always in for exploring new grounds. I have driven the old RR grade. Looking for other possibilitys. This makes me even more excited for this trip.

x2

Wait, are you actually free to come on this trip? Awesome. I'll make sure I'm there.

Last edited:

Westernhunter

x2

Wait, are you actually free to come on this trip? Awesome. I'll make sure I'm there.

Yes I am! I NEED to spend some time with my 8 yo. Night spent around a camp fire with friends and sleeping in the Jeep with the temp below freezing is very quality time IMO. Looking forward to catching up with you.
John.