Northern Utah Freeze Your Tail Off V

OB1

Haven't seen a trip report on this. Did anybody take pictures? Would have liked to have been there but was on my way back from ND at the time.

blznnp

Clouds didn't favor last year either I believe, still a fun time heading out there an driving around the area. Wish I could have made it this year.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Clouds didn't favor last year either I believe, still a fun time heading out there an driving around the area. Wish I could have made it this year.

They graced us with their absence in 2011 and perhaps 2009 too? Not the best track record but who's counting :D

Troop92

So for the Sun Tunnels... When you all went, did you go to Wendover and up, or up and out from Snowville? A buddy and I are thinking about doing the this in the coming days and are trying to figure out the best route.

rholbrook

I think its sixes for you. You can get on the Trans Continental Railway near Promontory and take it for 90 or so miles to Lucin and then from Lucin your only a few miles away. Depending on what time you left. If it was later, I would go via Wendover. If its earlier, I would go via the Railway. I have the GPX track if you text me your email address. eight01-twozero1-five8nine1

I thought it would be cool to do it backwards Either way you will have to hit the highway to or from Wendover. You can also hit Hwy 30 and get you close to Lucin as well.

Troop92

Do both, do the Transcontinental en route there and head home on 80. That way you have a stop in Wendover for food/fuel and you can check out the airbase museum if it is open too. More time on your hands. Loop back to SLC on the Pony Express. back into Utah or Tooele County.

My work computer won't let me open the hotlinks (at least not the images) to those. Things up that way look "relatively" snow free. I'd be in Trooper and buddy in his LR3, if we go. A lot of this depends on what work brings on Thursday/Friday. If we go it'll be a "hey, can you?" and go thing...

I think its sixes for you. You can get on the Trans Continental Railway near Promontory and take it for 90 or so miles to Lucin and then from Lucin your only a few miles away. Depending on what time you left. If it was later, I would go via Wendover. If its earlier, I would go via the Railway. I have the GPX track if you text me your email address. eight01-twozero1-five8nine1

I thought it would be cool to do it backwards Either way you will have to hit the highway to or from Wendover. You can also hit Hwy 30 and get you close to Lucin as well.

So the TransCont Railway goes the entire way from Promontory/GoldenSpike to Lucin? That would be cool. I wasn't really enthused about taking I-15/Rt 30 the whole way, pavement isn't much fun... I think IF we get away, it would be leave about 3pm and take whatever time we want - the main point was the Sun Tunnels for some picturetaking - buddy is in graphic design and is amazing with a camera, and I merely dabble. :D

sixstringsteve

Make sure you take a good spare tire out there, (along with the tools to change it). Flat tires are sometimes common along some of those routes, and you'll be far away from a tow truck. I recommend a tire plug kit, compressor, jack, tools, and a spare tire just in case (but you should have these things anytime you go offroad).

Troop92

Make sure you take a good spare tire out there, (along with the tools to change it). Flat tires are sometimes common along some of those routes, and you'll be far away from a tow truck. I recommend a tire plug kit, compressor, jack, tools, and a spare tire just in case (but you should have these things anytime you go offroad).

Thanks for the reminder -- I have a fullsize spare on my Trooper, as he has one on his rig. I'm an overly cautious person, so "The Box" goes everywhere with me - fluids, tools, odds and ends that I've discovered make life easier over the years.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
From Layton, I would go the RR route. Coming back from FYTO I thought is would be faster to take hwy 30 through Snowville, but it added some serious miles vs driving the grade. The grade was more fun too.

If you are going to be in the area, you should check out Devils Playground. It is across hwy 30 on the south tip of the Bovine Mtns. It is an AWESOME place!

ricsrx

I picked up a flat and used all the above to get me home, Thanks to John and Ryan for the assistance and plugs.

Last edited:

Troop92

Is there a definitive map everyone used? I've never been out there and am leery of taking a wrong turn. :rolleyes: Is everyone just using GPS? Is the RR clearly marked/followable, or once you get out there does everything look the same? If we can take the RR from the east side of the lake all the way over to Lucin/Sun Tunnels, I'd rather do that...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
All of the needed routes are very clearly marked, honestly a Benchmark Atlas ($25) is your best friend as it will not only illustrate the route but also stops along the way and potential side trips. The Transcontinental meets the new RR (Lucin Cutoff) at Lucin proper, thus you are just a few minutes from the Sun Tunnels.