Northern Utah Freeze Your Tail Off V

Troop92

All of the needed routes are very clearly marked, honestly a Benchmark Atlas ($25) is your best friend as it will not only illustrate the route but also stops along the way and potential side trips. The Transcontinental meets the new RR (Lucin Cutoff) at Lucin proper, thus you are just a few minutes from the Sun Tunnels.

x2 on the benchmark atlas, best $25 you can spend.

Awesome, thanks guys. I might have one buried in "The Box," but if memory serves I loaned it out and it never found its way home again... To the store I go.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Currently registration is open only to Supporting and Contributing members of Expedition Utah. It's easy to become a Member if you aren't! If we still have spaces left leading up to the event, we will open it up to Expedition Utah in general, so you can keep watching the Upcoming Events forum there. This year we're doing things a little bit differently, so it should be a lot of fun!

ricsrx said:
Why is there always a sign up, is this on private land? are ther limited assinged spots to park? if im not on the list and go out any way do i have to park on the road and i cant stand by your fire?

The Sun Tunnels are on private property, yes. We are not affiliated with the land owners, but they do allow public access. If they ever decide that the impact has been too severe, they could close the land though. That is one reason why several years ago we decided to start limiting the number of participants. The other is that we like to make each Expedition Utah event as much about the history of the trails and area we are in as the actual trail ride. We provide information packets to each vehicle and like to discuss the history and culture of the area around the fire. That gets hard to do if the number of participants is too large or unplanned for. So while you can go to the Sun Tunnels on your own, we'd love for you to sign up and join us.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...The Sun Tunnels are on private property, yes. We are not affiliated with the land owners, but they do allow public access. If they ever decide that the impact has been too severe, they could close the land though. That is one reason why several years ago we decided to start limiting the number of participants. The other is that we like to make each Expedition Utah event as much about the history of the trails and area we are in as the actual trail ride. We provide information packets to each vehicle and like to discuss the history and culture of the area around the fire. That gets hard to do if the number of participants is too large or unplanned for. So while you can go to the Sun Tunnels on your own, we'd love for you to sign up and join us.

I wanted to chime-in in support of Stephen's planning for FYTO6 and his comments above. The event saw a steady increase in popularity when we started cross-promoting on various forums, the purpose of cross-promoting was simple... invite folks to learn about ExpUt and join us for this and future activities. We had room to accommodate the growth and continued to welcome it. The purpose worked, lots of folk became regular attendees and we didn't need to promote it nearly as much the last few years. Fast forward to current and long time participants continued to comment on the new "flavor" it was developing with 75+ people being there and thus our planning staff all agreed we should start to cap it to a manageable size that promoted an intimate and group conductive to a fireside presentation or trail ride. We did that for 2013 (never advertised outside of EU) and when we met as a planning committee for 2014 in September it was unanimous to move that way again as we had rave reviews from last years participants. Stephen ran with the ball from there and we have had a signup on EU since then. Just like our other signature events (Relic Run, Retro Ramble, etc) we always knew we would reach an appropriate ceiling and here we are. Our plan was simple, offer spots to our ExpUt contributing and supporting members (i.e. those active on the EU forum) first, then to general ExpUt forum members and if there is still space after x amount of time, we post it to other forums as we have in the past. We won't/can't tell people they can't camp at the Sun Tunnels, it's neither here nor there. Rather we ask people respect our event and either join us or plan something that doesn't detract from the experience we are hoping to achieve for our members. Hope that clears things up and we hope you choose to join us out there! :cool:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

Sorry for giving misinformation. I had forgotten that it was in the members section. Hopefully I didn't cause too much commotion

Now we know you have a secret hand shake. I just don't know what the hand shake is. damn! I have been watching the site for over a month. I was thinking they where not going to do it this year so I was planning my own trip. I guess if I show up I will be pulling a ricsrx and crashing the party without an invite. :)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Now we know you have a secret hand shake. I just don't know what the hand shake is. damn! I have been watching the site for over a month. I was thinking they where not going to do it this year so I was planning my own trip. I guess if I show up I will be pulling a ricsrx and crashing the party without an invite. :)

No secret handshake, its very easy to become a Supporting Member of Expedition Utah. We have all sorts of events that are open to them first because they help keep the lights on for the site. Usually, after we've had it open to the Supporting Members for a bit, then we open it up to the normal members of ExUt.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
No secret handshake, its very easy to become a Supporting Member of Expedition Utah. We have all sorts of events that are open to them first because they help keep the lights on for the site. Usually, after we've had it open to the Supporting Members for a bit, then we open it up to the normal members of ExUt.

Fwiw, these trip invites are not only open to Supporting Members (monetary donors) but also Contributing Members which are members that meet a certain threshold for posts, trip reports and login activities.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Just tired of all the have to join facebook or other crap like that (little groups of secret friends) . With X-mas coming being a supporting member is not a top priority right now but I was thinkin about it...

Heaven forbid we ask people to be active on ExpeditionUtah in order to attend an ExpeditionUtah event lol. This has always and will always be an ExpeditionUtah planned and hosted event, not sure how much clearer I can be there. There is no secret group of friends and we've made no secret of the fact Contributing and Supporting members of ExpeditionUtah have and will continue to get first dibs and invites to events ExpeditionUtah plans. I don't see how there is any heartache about this?

...camp near all the snobs .:D.

Really... oh my bad, you put a smiley face after it... all better :rolleyes:

Are you even a member of ExpeditionUtah?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I think you guys are taking this wrong. I'm not involved with the planning of this trip and haven't been, but I am a supporting member at ExpUt.

I'm not a supporting member so that I can be a snob. I'm a supporting member because I value what that site offers, I use what that site offers, and I want to see it stick around. The guys that run the site want to see it stick around too, and they need help to do that. Just like any other venture of the sort, they have to raise funds somehow. One of the ways they're doing that is by planning "signature" trips as a way to raise awareness of the ExpUt forums, and they're providing advance knowledge and early signups to contributing/supporting members of the site to a) say thanks for contributing and b) encourage more folks to contribute, either through money or site content or both.

That's all it is. Contributing/supporting members of ExpUt are not a secret or exclusive club, there is no secret handshake, and nobody is trying to be better than anybody else. You do not have to be part of an "in" crowd to hang out at the forum or join trips planned in part to support the forum. I don't think I'm particularly part of any "in" crowd, I'm just a guy that hangs out at that forum and contributes as I can, and because I do that I got a head start on signing up for this years FYTO. I'm wicked stoked, I've tried to go the past two years and been shot down by truck trouble, so I've literally been waiting years for this :). For what it's worth, that list is not closed - there's ten more spots as of a couple moments ago.

I don't see the point in beating on the guys at ExpUt who are planning this trip for opening the trip to members of the forum first. To the best of my knowledge, none of you have been told you can't be a member over there. And if you aren't a member, why not? Sign up over there! Read some rad trip reports and research your own next trip and use the site, that's what it's there for. If you don't, and you show up out at Lucin anyway, you're totally welcome to join my fire. But you'll be missing out on an awesome forum.