Grandmas Skylark project

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Clear glosses sort of.... I might have to put 5-6 coats on this dog in case I have to wet sand the clear? I think as the solvent comes off the flow is interrupted? I'm a little concerned to spray this dawg now :/

1969honda

Supporting Member
That's a neat looking dish rack! 😉 I definitely wouldn't have had the patience to get it all straight and painted that nice.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Someone here likely knows what I need? Longstanding Skylark internet lore is that one can fit a 10" wheel and 295 50 15 tire in the rear tubs with 5.5-5.75" backspace.

How does that equate to -25, 0, +25 mm ? 25mm is pretty much an inch. On the 10" wheel, I assume 0 would be at 5"? +25 would be at 6"(ish)

WHAT IS WHEEL OFFSET?​

(Lea en español)
Offset diagram

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).*
"The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel."

Zero Offset​

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive​

The hub mounting surface is located in the front half of the wheel closer to the wheel face. This tucks the entire wheel in toward the brakes and vehicle suspension. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars and newer rear-wheel drive cars.

Negative​

The hub mounting surface is located in the back half of the wheel closer to the back lip flange. This moves the wheel out away from the vehicle brakes and suspension. "Deep dish" wheels and wheels for lifted trucks are typically a negative offset.
If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. Often, when changing the width of the wheel, the offset will also need to change to maintain proper clearances inside the wheel well. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We test fit thousands of different vehicle and wheel size combinations to confirm which ones work correctly. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.
*Backspacing, similar to offset, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel (measured in inches).

Another calculator that makes a little more sense to me

Attachments

• 1657459111731.png
    1657459111731.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

lhracing

I do have a crude spreadsheet that I made years ago that calculates inside tire clearance and overall width from entries made about the car, tires and wheels. I have used it on a lot of cars with pretty good sucess if you want to give it a try.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I do have a crude spreadsheet that I made years ago that calculates inside tire clearance and overall width from entries made about the car, tires and wheels. I have used it on a lot of cars with pretty good sucess if you want to give it a try.

I'd love to take a look at that spreadsheet. Re: your slicks, are the on 5 on 4.75 wheels? I running the 5 on 4.5" on the rear

JeeperG

My brother has one of those cheap wheel and tire simulator tools you can probably borrow if ya need to, it's not perfect but it helped us enough to figure out the farm truck stuff.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My brother has one of those cheap wheel and tire simulator tools you can probably borrow if ya need to, it's not perfect but it helped us enough to figure out the farm truck stuff.
Do you know what brand of tire simulator it is? I have been wanting to go with a 9.5 on the rear of the El Camino but not what kind of offset it will require.