hanging tree trail

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Does anyone know if this is still open?

yes, its still open,
that being said if you aren't running with someone who has permission to go out top gate you have to run the trail back out. land owners have sheep grazing at the foot of the canyon, so make sure that you close any gates that you open, and respect their land and property as well as the trail, be safe and have fun.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Ok cool so we can't exit out of the top?

The land owners prefer that you dont exit out the top unless you are with someone who has permission to take you out the gate, reason for this is because people get lost up there and drive all around on private property desperatly looking for a way out, thats they grey area where they get concerned about personal property and you intentions on their land. We run the trail often enough that if you dont want to come back down the trail, its best to hook up with an organized trip when we are going out the top.

sixstringsteve

see if rockreligious or his buddies are running the trail anytime soon and go with them :) I plan on doing it in the next couple months, once my duals are done.

sixstringsteve

Will do. I'll. Make sure I go with a local with permission to exit out the top. Otherwise I'd get lost up there. I rode along as a passenger once, and there is no way I'd be able to find my way out from the top on my own. And it'd take me 8 hours to do the entire trail up and back.

Last edited:

Omgbecki

I've just recently heard of this trail. What's it like? I noticed sixstring mentioned duals (i assume t cases) and 8 hours. Is this a really difficult trail? I know I could easily google it but I perfer a more personal touch by reaching out to you guys.

sixstringsteve

It took us about 3-4 hours. Its got lots of 3-4. Foot ledges and a few 5-6 foot parts to climb. Its obstacle after obstacle and very fun. I would guess that an experienced driver could get through it on 33s and one locker, but less experienced drivers will definitely want at least 35s and two lockers.

Omgbecki

Well shoot. I'm an inexperienced driver with one locker and 33's guess I'm out. I assume that if you are saying experienced then they most need to know what they are doing? But on the other hand you can't swim without getting into the water.

sixstringsteve

to me, "experienced" means hours, days, weeks behind the wheel on technical trails, as well as significant time wheeling your rig. I could get my rig through on 33's, but not yours because I don't have experience drivig your rig. I don't know the best way to make it climb in loose conditions, or wet conditions, or ledges, or off-camber situations. This is a difficult trail. Run snakes 5-10 times, all the way up to the eagle's nest. By the end of that, you'll start to understand the needs of your rig and the right way to drive it through each type of obstacle.

you can't swim without getting into water, but if you try to learn with ankle weights on, in the middle of the ocean, it's going to be even harder. I promise I"ll take you on this trail when you're ready. There are too many times I've run trails with people that weren't ready for them (or their rig wasn't ready) and it never turns out well. No offense. You're well on your way to gaining the type of experience needed, just keep wheeling and learning your rig.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Speaking as one of the relatively inexperienced guys, I agree with Steve. I'm always a little worried when I go out with better drivers and better rigs, I don't wanna be "that guy" that's holding up the party. The Devils Racetrack trip had me perilously close to being "that guy", and it's not a good feeling.

Have you been up the AFC trails yet, omgbecki? I haven't and I need to, I'd be happy to have a buddy with me when I go. Even better if it's a noob like me, then nobody has to be "that guy". ;)

Last edited:

Omgbecki

Speaking as one of the relatively inexperienced guys, I agree with Steve. I'm always a little worried when I go out with better drivers and better rigs, I don't wanna be "that guy" that's holding up the party. The Devils Racetrack trip had me perilously close to being "that guy", and it's not a good feeling.

Have you been up the AFC trails yet, omgbecki? I haven't and I need to, I'd be happy to have a buddy with me when I go. Even better if it's a noob like me, then nobody has to be "that guy". ;)

I do understand what steve was saying I too would hate to be "that guy" but I'm stubborn enough to show up anyways rusts why I asked. I'm a read between the lines type guy and wanted to get a "feel" for the trail to paint the picture in my mind. Now I understand what I need to do to get ready. I have ran up to eagles nest once I got a list of mods I need to do after that run. I've also only ran one trail in AFC. I'm always down for a trail run whenever possible. Thanks for the advice guys I know I'm not ready now but maybe can get a ride along one day to get a feel for the trail.