How many of you out there are going to get a dirt bike in the near future?

jentzschman

Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am thinking about getting a dirt/dual sport bike.

Oh, and as for my motives: I have always wanted one! I have a CBR 600RR right now, but have been thinking about selling it.

If there are a bunch of people on here the ride, that would really sway me into getting one as I have never really had friends who rode.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I agree with Greg. Double the pleasure double the fun :D Just stay away from ADVrider--once you get sucked in there's no coming back :ugh:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I am in the club

2006 Honda CRF 450X

This is my first bike and I stoked to get it out for some exploring.

Cascadia

Undecided
I'm looking for another bike again. There are a few I have narrowed it down to. I had a ktm 250 xcfw and loved it but I did not find myself using 6th gear very often. Really I only used it on the higher speed limit roads, never on trails. So I'm thinking I don't need the "w". I like the 4 stroke better than my 2 stroke I had so I'm going to stick with the "f".

This leads me to the 2 bikes I'm interested in. One is a 250 xcf and the other is a 250 xcf with a sx motor with low hours on it. What is the difference with the sx motor and the xc motor? Would it still be good for trails? It still had the gear box from the xcf though. Is this something I should stay away from or does nobody see any issue with it?

jentzschman

I have heard that the sx is a motocross bike. I thought I remember reading that the sx has a close ratio tranny and the xc is a semi close ratio. The xc is "build" for off road use, aka, trails, enduro and the sx is a pure moto bike.

The xc will be much better for overall use, which is the one I would get personally.

As far as the engine goes, I believe they are darn near if not the same motor, just different gear boxes. The xc has a low 1st and I think 2nd gear, motocross ratios in the middle (either 2-4 or 3-4) and then a higher end 5th gear.

I have been researching the crap out of the ktm's and have narrowed it down the xc for me, st of course! ;)

Hope this helps. I found this site to be extremely useful: http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?act=idx

Cascadia

Undecided
Both bikes are the xcf. It's just that one has an sx motor. That is the only difference between the 2 is the motor. Still has the xc gear box.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
A friend of mine has a collection of 2T WR and IT's. His dad has a clean IT465--man that bike is a brute. I always tell him to hide it well or Chuck Norris will find it and take it back LOL!

Too bad this one is beat to death. They really are neat bikes when they are in decent condition :-\