• DOMESTICS

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by 1968jeepthing
size does matter, your not gunna get as much torque you need for wheeling from a little 4 cyl or 6 cyl thatn you could from a big chevy v-8 or big chevy v-6

Uhhhhh Oooooooo...... I just noticed SuperRunner is looking at this thread...... 1968jeepthing, you better be prepared!! :D :D

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
I have owned coming up on 40 vehicles in the past 10 years. I have owned almost every make. Ford, chevy, dodge, oldmobile, VW, suzuki, bmw, mazda, toyota, mistubishi, nissan, honda, and yes, even a jeep.

Lets just say, I am speaking from experience, not just because I have a biased opinion about a car, but I will have to say

TOYOTA ALL THE WAY!!!! Occaisonlly I end up getting something else, like last year I bought a Chevy 4x4 truck. Lost $500 cash on it, and about 120 hours of labor. What a pile. Few years ago I had a Jeep cherokee, got 6 miles to the gallon out of the carbed 4cyl, and had other problems galor. Lost $2,000 on that one within 2 months, becaue of all the things that went wrong with it. My Brother in law just bought a cherokee, after I had advised him not to...My sister(before they got married), would not talk to him for two weeks after he bought it. Well, 8 months later he wants to get rid of it because of all the problems, and he will probalby loose 2-3K on it.

I have made money on every toyota I have ever sold, and have only blown up 1 toyota motor. Old 2F, blew radiator hose and drove for 30 miles with no coolant. Man, 30 miles with no coolant, that is telling you something. I have blown up many domestic motors.

Trannys...well, I would have to say domestics on that, although the foriegn tranny's tend to shift smoother. foriegn just don't use big v8's, so there is no need for big strong cast iron trannies.

Comment earlier about having to have lots of torque to wheel. Bunch of old out dated BS. You do not need torque to wheel, that is what gearing is used for. You never, ever, ever hear someone with a Carbed 20R toyota motor with a dual ultimate marlin complaining about low end torque. It just doesn't happen. The complaints come from the highway. That is where torque is needed. But, if you trailer your vehicle, there is no need for a big HP, bit torque motor.

Oh, and I6's make plenty of relible torque, and the run smoother than V8's too. Like tobin said, I push over 400HP daily out of my I6. So far I have put almost 30,000 miles on my used 70,000 mile motor. That would put my motor at the 100,000 mark, and I run 15+ psi, and take it to 7,000RPM every day, and shows no sign of stopping. My old car 88 Turbo Supra, had 160,000 miles on it, and I was pushing 25+ psi in that. Eventually I sold it to a friend becasue I wanted a targa top. He still drives it running 25 psi.

I have also rebuild many domestic v8's 4cyl, and foriegn 4cyl, and 6 cyl. I never have to use a ridge reamer in a high mileage foriegn motor, but in doing a domestic v8 or 4cyl, I "always" have to use a ridge reamer.

Here is a video of my underpowered, low torque, foreign I6 roasting my 38X15.50 Swampers...well, one of them, need to lock up that rear.

http://www.supracharged.com/video/SuperRunnerBurnOut1.avi

if you can't see the video, but hear the sound, you need the divx codec, it is here
http://www.divx.com/divx/download.p...wnload.divx.com/divx/DivXPro502GAINBundle.exe

Last edited:

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
Originally posted by Greg

Uhhhhh Oooooooo...... I just noticed SuperRunner is looking at this thread...... 1968jeepthing, you better be prepared!! :D :D

Greg, you are too funny.

Hey, when you going wheeling next, I want to go out wheelin with you.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by SuperRunner

Greg, you are too funny.

Hey, when you going wheeling next, I want to go out wheelin with you.

Soon as I get my damned EFI swap wrapped up. The wiring is killing me!

I was happy to see you reply here, it made my day! I think you need to change your Signature to read-

"This just in....... There is now a Replacement for Displacement!!!

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
Yeah, but they are all torn down to the block, would have to build one up. Would sell you parts you need, plus harness and ECU and all electronics for......

$500 for turbo motor +$150 for rebuildable turbo.
$400 for NA

crank has already been ground and polished, block has already been cleaned and honed.

Cost for rebuild would be around $300-$400, for rings, seals, bearings and gaskets, for either motor.

$500 to rebuild/upgrade turbo.

Or....you can buy a jap spec motor with 30,000-60,000 miles on it for around $800 shipped to your door. On turbo motor, turbo may or may not be good. Recommend changing head gasket on any used turbo motor. THat pretty much goes for any turbo motor, foriegn or domestic.

alright, your probably right about torque and horsepower stuff, i come form new hampshire where you need lots of torque and speed to get thorough the mud bogs. i just cant bring myself to buying import yet. maybe its my New England patriotism, or maybe im just plain stubborn and ignorant but i still perfer good ol domestics.

Ryan

Although I posted the 'beating a dead horse' thing, I must chime in after all.

I've owned a few different vehicles over the years, and I do have to say that I am most impressed overall with my current vehicle--------'90 4Runner. Second in line would probably be my wifes '90's Honda Civic(can't remember exactly what year, long since sold for financial reasons). Near as I can remember, everything else I've ever owned was domestic.

Last edited:

Ryan

...except the '77 FJ40, which ended up all Chevy(dedicated wheelin' vehicle). To date, that's been sold, and my next project will be a Sami/kick/Toy thing.