Northern Utah invite: camping somewhere this weekend

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
i miss the old days of the RME bbq

Me too. And not just because I had a habit of winning stuff.

x3. I need new tires for the F*rd, let's make Greg throw another BBQ.

Sooo...is there a plan to meet somewhere and convoy? Or...is it a see-ya-when-ya-get-there event?
Having 1) never met any of you except Nate and Derek, who aren't going, and 2) never driven to Whitney Reservoir before, it might be nice to meet up so no one (like me!) gets lost along the way. (Assuming I can make it...keeping fingers crossed)

You can convoy up with me, Gary. I'm hoping to leave town midmorning Friday. Do I have your cell number?

I'm tempted to join since I'll be at the BBQ also

Somebody at the Show and Shine grab Noa by the ear and make him come.

CobraNutt

You can convoy up with me, Gary. I'm hoping to leave town midmorning Friday. Do I have your cell number?
I'll PM it to you. I will be working Friday, so if if there is a "later group" from the BBQ, I would probably need to tag along with them. Danggit...work gets in the way again...

sixstringsteve

I'll PM it to you. I will be working Friday, so if if there is a "later group" from the BBQ, I would probably need to tag along with them. Danggit...work gets in the way again...

Just come to the bbq. You don't need to have a toyota to be there. Meet at the bbq around 5 and we will take off from there around 530 or so.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
He's got a Jeep though, Steve. He'll need to wear the Bag Of Shame or hide behind a tree or something.

sixstringsteve

Sooo...is there a plan to meet somewhere and convoy? Or...is it a see-ya-when-ya-get-there event?
Having 1) never met any of you except Nate and Derek, who aren't going, and 2) never driven to Whitney Reservoir before, it might be nice to meet up so no one (like me!) gets lost along the way. (Assuming I can make it...keeping fingers crossed)

It should be easy to ID me. A lot of people tell me I look like Victor Martinez, with a lighter complexion.

bb2.jpg

sixstringsteve

Here's a little more info I found while researching:

primitive camping, no established campgrounds (just like DAA said).

Weather is unpredictable, so be prepared for rain/thunder in the afternoon. If it doesn't rain, even better. If it does rain, we'll be prepared.

Hazards in the Uintas (mainly as it applies to backpackers, but it's worth us paying attention)

Lightning occasionally kills people in the Uintas. It's a serious threat, especially above tree line. If a storm starts to build, take cover. Don't wait until you see lightning - by then it might be too late. Get off the peak or ridge. Head for lower ground. Don't hide under a tree which stands by itself; but you can take refuge under a grove of trees off the side of a ridge.

Hypothermia can also be a killer. Be prepared for harsh weather. Bring clothing and gear that protects against rain - it rains almost every day in the high country. It often snows and hails, even in August. The weather can change from hot to freezing cold within just a few minutes. If you get wet and cold then do whatever it takes to get dry and warm. Put up your tent. Build a fire. Drink warm soup. Spending the night in a wet sleeping bag can be more than just uncomfortable - it can be dangerous.

Sunburn is a common problem when hiking at high elevations. The atmosphere is thin and does not filter the sun's rays, so people bum quickly. Wear a hat and sunscreen.

Mosquitoes are public enemy number one in the Uintas. They are everywhere, and they can drive you crazy. Bring strong repellent - it really helps.

Black bears occasionally cause concern at some campgrounds at mid-elevations. Watch for advisories. Never leave food or garbage around camp, and don't keep food in your tent.

Moose can also be dangerous. They are often seen along the rivers and in marshy areas. Don't try to approach a moose. Pay attention and never walk between a cow moose and her calf.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

as with all trips, make sure your rig is in good working order. Bring jumper cables, basic tools, your repair manual (if you have one), and at bare minimum a properly inflated spare tire with all the tools required to change it. A recovery strap, d-rings, tire plugs, a compressor, and a1st aid kit are never bad to carry either.

Last edited: