linking the truggy, finally!

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
How did you figure out the length and spring rate of your shocks?
looking very good, thanks for the shocks they are working great on the 82!!

glad to hear you like the shocks!

figuring out the shocks just takes a bit of homework & talking to a few shops to get some opinions. I debated between 16" & 18" but it turns out that the 16's just plain fit in there better. hopefully the spring rates that I chose will work, I'll find out soon enough.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
On the cast welding subject - preheating helps get the penetration but post heating is more important. This is because the cast cools faster than the mild steel and will hairline crack at the weld. Sometimes even just creating enough stress between the mild and cast that it will crack sooner than later.

If it's small enough, put the recently welded object into a bucket of sand so it will cool evenly. I've also just ran a torch across the cast side of the weld every minute or so until it seems to be cooling as slow as the mild side. Pain in the butt for sure, but it's cheap insurance and peace of mind.

R

rockdog

last week I built all my link brackets & got them tacked into place.
I also have my steering ram bracket built & tacked on.
yesterday I put the ram on & cycled everything, I had to move the ram down a little, because my panhard was hitting it. after adjusting both af them everything looked like it was working great! tonight I spent most of the night fabbing some shock hoops & making room under the hood for the new KINGS. heres a pic with the KINGS mounted up

Goose, If you have room under the hood. Run a bar from shock hoop to shock hoop over the engine to tie the hoops together. I can see from your pic that you have braced em. But the bar will make em rock solid and protect the motor in case of a bad roll at the same time. :D

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
SO I have my full hydro all installed, I was trying to bleed all the air out (following steps from pirate) I cant seem to get fluid to go from the obital valve to the ram. I do have fluid going to the orbital, but not coming out. ??????

does anyone have any input?

Bart

All of mine just worked. Maybe I can buzz by tonight and see what's happening. When are you leaving for the Rubi?

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
All of mine just worked. Maybe I can buzz by tonight and see what's happening. When are you leaving for the Rubi?

were headed for the rubi next wed.

I read this morning on pirate, a guy that said he had some grease blocking the holes in the valve box. he said that he had to clean it out.
has anyone else ever run into something like that?

Im guessing its either that or my pump isnt working, cause bolth my left & right ram lines are dry. everything else has fluid in it.

when I turn the wheel with the motor running, the ram doesnt even flinch.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
evidently the PSC orbital plumbs different than bellavistas tech thread that I read on pirate. (I couldnt make heads or tails of the tinny diagram on my valve box)
I switched around my plumbing, now Im trying too bleed it. WHAT A PITTA!!!

zukijames

You better get some good video of this machine in action at the rubicon I'm kinda bummed to not be there. Take lots of pics and be safe and oh yeah have fun!

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
You better get some good video of this machine in action at the rubicon I'm kinda bummed to not be there. Take lots of pics and be safe and oh yeah have fun!

I have to get the freakin thing finished, so I can go!!!!
Ive been fighting this stupid steering for a week!!!
& I still cant figure out what the issue is, I hope I dont have a pump Issue?

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
so the hardest part of my build has been the hydro steering, Ive spent almost 2 weeks trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I wish I had kdone something wrong.
come to find out PSC sent me a 300.00 hood ornament, I mean pump.
I pulled their #*!@? pump out & plubmed in my stock yota pump. & had it working bled in about an 2 hrs. I cant believe how much time I wasted on that damn pump!!!!
Im just finishing up all my loose ends right now on the suspension & then Im headed for the rubicon on wed. (with my stock toy pump)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
fwiw - I've run a stock pump on my full-hydro for over 6 years now. As long as the reservoir capacity is there, you should be OK.

Glad you have it figured out. What a pain.

Bart

Glad you figured it out, and sorry that you had to go through that. My only dealings with PSC were not good, so I ran Howe several times.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
fwiw - I've run a stock pump on my full-hydro for over 6 years now. As long as the reservoir capacity is there, you should be OK.

Glad you have it figured out. What a pain.

this is good to hear, I figure Ill take a spare pump with me & hope 4 the best.
It seemed to be working fine, I still have to throw the tires on & see how it steers on the ground.

mierdota

so the hardest part of my build has been the hydro steering, Ive spent almost 2 weeks trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I wish I had kdone something wrong.
come to find out PSC sent me a 300.00 hood ornament, I mean pump.
I pulled their #*!@? pump out & plubmed in my stock yota pump. & had it working bled in about an 2 hrs. I cant believe how much time I wasted on that damn pump!!!!
Im just finishing up all my loose ends right now on the suspension & then Im headed for the rubicon on wed. (with my stock toy pump)

that same thing just happened to a buddy of mine he sent the pump back and they gave him a new one it works perfect now