Hey Marcus,
Your doing all of my homework for me! Can't wait to see how this build works out. :cool:

Does anyone have any links to builds, info or more pics of the rigs in the original posts of this thread?

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Hey Marcus,
Your doing all of my homework for me! Can't wait to see how this build works out. :cool:

Does anyone have any links to builds, info or more pics of the rigs in the original posts of this thread?

It's a learning curve to say the least-_- The rigs were built by Chris Durham. Detailed pics/info of his projects seem a bit camera shy.

Looks good! Do you plan on notching your frame or anything? - for the front axle

I'll have to play it by ear. At full (ish) stuff the lower arms hit the frame. Bumpstops will fix that. It won't have much uptravel with 42s and 3" coils anyway.

Some great progress, can't wait to see it with 42's:cool:

Thanks. I just want to get the front end finished. The rear will be much easier.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's looking real good Marcus! It's amazing how tight things get when you start stuffing 1 Ton's under a TJ with minimal lift. I didn't have that much up-travel on my TJ, but it wasn't a hindrance, the stability was amazing. A great trade-off if you ask me.

I can't wait to see how this turns out, I know you'll be happy with the outcome. :cool:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
It's looking real good Marcus! It's amazing how tight things get when you start stuffing 1 Ton's under a TJ with minimal lift. I didn't have that much up-travel on my TJ, but it wasn't a hindrance, the stability was amazing. A great trade-off if you ask me.

I can't wait to see how this turns out, I know you'll be happy with the outcome. :cool:

Thanks.

I wish I would have spent a little more time under your jeep when I had the chance:cool:

My rig was always pretty stable and predictable, this version should be even more so. I cannot wait to get out to some trails like las cruces and try it out.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
*slight update*

Stopped by summit machine today:cool: Mike is building me some sweet custom Jimmy joints to fit in my brackets. Once I get my hands on them, I can start working on it again.

Here is another pic of Fred Perrys jeep i took the other day for a little bit of inspiration.

mailgooglecom.jpg

GOAT

Back from the beyond
*small update*

IMG_0723.jpg

Picked up some bling from Mike @ summit machine today. He was able to build three JJs to the exact specification for my existing brackets. With these, I can now finish my front suspension. I can't tell you how cool it is to have a shop in town that can produce this kind of product:cool:

Big thanks Mike!

Marcus

GOAT

Back from the beyond
*update*

Got the upper frame bracket fabbed up today. I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Had to start with some good tunes:D
IMG_0727.jpg

Dug out some scrap 1/4 and traced out my mounting plate.
IMG_0728.jpg

not having any warping
IMG_0731.jpg

welded up and ready to install
IMG_0734.jpg

Welded to the frame
IMG_0737.jpg

Rotated the upper axle mount forward so I can keep the upper arm 90-100% of the length of the lowers.
IMG_0739.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Rotated the upper axle mount forward so I can keep the upper arm 90-100% of the length of the lowers.

Wait wait wait! Didn't you read that the only possible way to build any sort of link suspension under any circumstance REQUIRES the upper link be exactly 73% as long as the lowers? C'mon, I thought you were building something here. -_-
I certainly hope nobody takes this seriously....

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Wait wait wait! Didn't you read that the only possible way to build any sort of link suspension under any circumstance REQUIRES the upper link be exactly 73% as long as the lowers? C'mon, I thought you were building something here. -_-
I certainly hope nobody takes this seriously....

I was told 75%-_-

:rofl::rofl:

Problem is, my lowers ended up being a shortish 33" eye to eye. Using stock style coils has me worried about bumpstop length and placement. I'm trying to keep pinion angle/caster change to a minimum so it's not flinging coils. We'll see.......

GOAT

Back from the beyond
*update*

Small one though. Mike @ summit machined my 60 inners for full circles. I welded up my tierod, welded up the lower arms, and put the knuckes/hi-steer back on.

Did I mention I hate welding tube almost as much as cast.
IMG_0747.jpg

Starting to get tight in there.
IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

Now, the waiting game. I should start making some real progress once some parts start arriving.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
*Things are looking up*

Picked up five 42x14.50x17 Goodyear MTRs for the jeep today. These things are much beefier in person than the pics indicate and measure right at 42":cool:

Big thanks to Butch (lineforeman99) and Craig from Rockworx, for the great price and service;)

Running out of room
IMG_0754.jpg

Jenn posing for obligatory size comparison. (she's 5'3")
IMG_0753.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: