Rock Crawling

Is there any interest in rock crawling competitions like UROC used to do years ago?

• Participating as a spectator

Votes: 50 46.3%
  • Participating as a competitor

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • Participating as a sponsor

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Participating as a Judge

Votes: 8 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Craig S

Commando
Is there enough interest to make a Toyota class or for that matter an XJ class?

thats a very good point, but there are a LOT of toyota owners out and usually with toyotas comes crazy wheeling that will bring crowds. as far as rules go id try to make it into a competition of your typical built toyotas, full bodied, 37s or 35s somewhat street legal (7ms will be ok;)) i think that way its a total comp of skill, almost anyone could compete for under 6 grand and do well depending on your skill.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Yep. Run whatcha brung.

Yup... I like the idea earlier about matching rigs up to same weight, WB, tire size, etc. If that happens, the Toyota guys will be against each other as well as other rigs that fit into their class. Same with XJ's, TJ's, Blazer's, Bronco's, etc.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
this sounds interesting. i was thinking about the first rock crawling event i went to in vernal and it was just regular 4x4's with mods. i remember that was the first comp when the wrangler mtrs came out. i think this would be a lot of fun. could possibly get me back into the sport

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I would never compete but I must say I really love to go and watch others. I guess I am just a wimp but I don't really like having a large group around me when I am at an obstacle. Guess I just fear those guys whose dad's buy their jeeps and have never spent one minute working on it will sit and talk crap that I failed making it through an obstacle. But as I said I would support it as a spectator

Bart

IGuess I just fear those guys whose dad's buy their jeeps and have never spent one minute working on it will sit and talk crap that I failed making it through an obstacle. But as I said I would support it as a spectator

HEY, we have to get our Jeeps somehow, and who has time to work on them anyway.

Oh dad, I need a new Atlas.... pulleeeeeease?

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Yup... I like the idea earlier about matching rigs up to same weight, WB, tire size, etc. If that happens, the Toyota guys will be against each other as well as other rigs that fit into their class. Same with XJ's, TJ's, Blazer's, Bronco's, etc.

this sounds awesome! how can we help get the ball rolling?

Craig S

Commando
this sounds awesome! how can we help get the ball rolling?

All that really needs to be done is what has been talked about in this thread. Millard County want's someone to use the facility in Delta. I have Memorial weekend reserved for three days. Camping is free at the facility (need to double check that). There are no real camping facilities, just a lot of space that can be used. I can provide a simple rule book that can be modified to fit current conditions (2008) with input from competitors. Insurance is an issue as it costs money. Right now there is no charge for the facility, that could change as the county has a bundle wrapped up in building the place. Officials would be needed to judge and run the event. I have cones, some timers and caution tape with other miscellaneous equipment (probably need some more).

It's really up to you guys what to do. I had a ball with the early UROC and would do one, maybe two events a year for charity and fun if the timing is right. Bottom line, it's a lot of work to do an event and have it work out favorably, which takes support from everybody involved. I'm willing to serve as the organizer if you (the participants) are serious.

Craig

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Count me in for whatever ya need, it would be a blast to go to a "fun" event again. If you need something done up this way like flyers or whatever, I'll be happy to take care of it.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Sounds like a blast to me.

Maybe even incorporate some non technical competitions, like blind fold obstacle course, or a poker run. Fun stuff without so much stress.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I think as long as everyone knows the event is for [charity, fun....whatever] it could make a real difference. As soon as you start getting beyond the 'run what you brung' thing (as in lots of people bringing in heavily sponsored rigs), people start getting testy about who is the 'winner'. If the event is billed as 'fun', I think people will relax a lot more with it.

If you're in need of judges, I'd even consider flying out for the memorial day weekend just to be part of the fun.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I hope everyone understands why the pro-sponser thing gets testy, lots of money gets spent, lots of money gets lost, lots of stress involved in convinceing a ride, landing a ride and keeping a ride..Its not evil...just un-fun...turns the passion for the sport into a Job, possibly a form of prostitution.

memorial weekend! count me in. you got any idea how much your gonna charge for entry? and are there any hotels nearby as my kids are very young and kinda hard to camp with as there are not many solid fixtures to chain them to. thanks.:D

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I hope everyone understands why the pro-sponser thing gets testy, lots of money gets spent, lots of money gets lost, lots of stress involved in convinceing a ride, landing a ride and keeping a ride..Its not evil...just un-fun...turns the passion for the sport into a Job, possibly a form of prostitution.

That's why we need to keep it low key - run what you brung kind of thing. But it's all in fun. I know there are pro's out running trails. I met up with Bart, Ben and someone else? and we ran RS and Con after the Richfield thing while I was still in town. So I know the pros are out having/wanting to have fun too.... So basically I think it's down to do they want to have fun and do they mind if they brake something with no sponsor money to fix it and they aren't going to take home a pot of cash even if they do win. It's got to be a love for the sport kind of competition.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
memorial weekend! count me in. you got any idea how much your gonna charge for entry? and are there any hotels nearby as my kids are very young and kinda hard to camp with as there are not many solid fixtures to chain them to. thanks.:D

there are two? hotels right across the street from the fair grounds - Best Western and something else. There might even be more now, as it's been 1.5 since I've been through Delta... Delta has a McD's, so they are big time! :D

Craig S

Commando

Sounds like some support for a nice fun event. Plenty of motels and food are available. There are also trails in the area to run. Entry fees for this type of event would have to cover insurance and other expenses incurred (trophy's, announcer and such). Typical entry fees for WERock or XRRA are usually between $250 and $350. Smaller local events are usually between $50 and $100. For this event, it would depend on how many people are registered, how much is donated to charity, land use or Millard County and how cool you want the event to be. I would suggest about $100 entry fee to cover expenses and leave some money to be donated back to the park and land use. It would also be nice if some of the spectators would donate into the fund and not leave it completely to the competitors, Judges, Millard County and organizers to fund. Area BFE has a donation box for contributions in Moab for people to help keep that park open. Any thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated.