Stan Prueitt's Dodge T-Rex 6x6

Owners Name & City-Stan Prueitt Somewhere in Utah

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-1997 Dodge T-Rex 6x6 6500

Engine-V10

Transmission-47RE HD

T-Case-241 HD

Axles- 3 Rockwell 2.5 Ton with Detroit lockers

Suspension-coil 4 link

Wheels and Tires- Hummer Internal Beadlock, with Interco Iroc tires, or Swampers. Interco is our sponsor so we change tires alot.

Winch- Mile Marker Hyd.

Favorite Trails-New Mexico four corners area, all of Moab, Hollister Hills CA....to many to list.

Other-The T-Rex is a rare rig that we try to keep nice looking for all of our sponsors yet, we still wheel the crap out of it. It has schooled many rock buggies on thier own turf, and has won many safaris. It also is excellent at rescueing stuck rigs. I am now a yearly judge at TTC, and I help set up and design the courses. I also use the T-Rex at TTC to extract stuck and dead rigs. Last year I took the T-Rex in three times into the Tank Trap to Extract the D100, the Mudder Bronco, and the huge 11,000 pounder Kaiser. That was a trip. The T-Rex is here with me in Utah, but my Tow Rig and Trailer are still down in New Mexico. The T-Rex is street legal but sucks the gas and only has a top speed on the highway of about 55. Since is has lockers on all three axles, the streets also tear up my tires, so when I can I trailer it to the trails I do.
0001DSCF1346.jpg

LT.

Stan does not get on here as much as most of us. I will try and answer your questions. The front coil springs are stock units off of the truck. The coil buckets were lowered on the frame so they could be re-used. The middle axle also makes use of stock 3/4 ton front coil springs. This is the axle that carries most of the weight on the back end of the truck. The rear most coil springs I don't know what he uses. At the start he used stock springs again. After some wheeling trips he noticed that they did not flex as well as he had hoped for. The current springs, on the rear most axle, are a much softer spring.

I hope that helps at least.

LT.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Yeah I need to get pictures of the Interior too. I cant find the pictures that I took so I will take some more.

Here is the picture of the new Tow rig build up. GMC 5500 4x4 with 12 flat bed. I put tool boxes and built a frame to hold the camper on the back. Soon to come, new bumper, winch, light bar, and LCD in the cab. It is pretty nice but I miss my Dodge tow rig. It rode much nicer and had a ton more power. THis has only 650 ft lbs of torque, while the Dodge put out 720-930. The Dodge also stopped better with the engine brake. I need to do something like that with this GMC or else I will burn out some brakes.

26458230125_large.jpg

26458230124_large.jpg

Bart

As much as I liked your last set up, that looks a ton more comfortable for the family. I know what you mean about the ride though. Good luck with it.

LT.

Traitor! You sold your DODGE tow rig to pull your DODGE T-Rex with a GMC?! The color scheme doesn't even go. What were you thinking? I swear, I should dis-own you as a Brother-in-law. What does GMC stand for again? I can't seem to remember, Gota' Mechanic Coming? God, Money, and Credit? Generic Made Crap? Something along those lines. Just kidding. I hope you like it and it serves you and the family well. When are you going to let me loose with your credit card and some tools so I can hot rod it for ya'? You know, so you can get your toys to Moab in less than 10 hours. Ha ha ha ha......

LT.

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
Stan you should paint it to match the T REX. I don't know if you've seen Chris of Marshall Motoarts top kick, but you should consider a bumper like the one he built its tough:D

Attachments

• topkicklowfrontview2WEB.jpg
    topkicklowfrontview2WEB.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 60

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
I have seen that GMC Driving down the road, Yeah I want to fix ours up a bit. It may not look as good as that one.

LT,...Yes I have strayed from the fold. Out of the 47 vehicles I have owned, most of them have been Mopar. They have been the best for me. I have owned all three makes of tow rigs and My Dodges were always the best and most reliable. My Chevys were next and I regreat ever spending money on my Power Choke Super Dud.

However this GMC is rated for what I need to tow and it is nice having the 12' flat bed. I cound only get that in the Dodge 4500 or 5500 but with a sticker price of $60K....I will pass.

LT.

So, when are you gonna' turn me loose on it and turn it into a hot rod? I can get about 650 to 750 hp out of it running on number 2 Diesel only. Torque will be a little short of what the Cummins made but, I still think I can get 1000+ out of it. And that bumper was killer looking! That is what you need.

LT.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
I can't believe nobody asked the big question yet...

When are you gonna put a CUMMINS in the T-Rex???
We considered that a long time ago, but the Cummins is a heavy motor. It causes rigs to nose plow, so we opted for the V10, much lighter and still pleanty of power. In fact the T-Rex is balanced, the V10 and front axle balance out the two rear axles. W can teater-toter the truck on the middle axle. That is perfect balance. Gas mileage is not so good with the V10, but hey that is not our biggest concern.

seanyounk

Is 6X6 long travel practical?

Stan, and anyone else who knows, I have been doing a considerable amount of research on the 6x6 concept and your truck constantly keeps popping up on Google. When you get a chance can you help me out with some of the conceptualization of this project so I have a better place to start for my own 6X6 project?

I have a 99 Ford F250 Super Duty I am going to convert to a 6x6 very soon. I was going to use the Rockwell deuce and a half axles since I already have a set of three in my back yard. I am going to put a 14 foot flat bed on my truck and use it to haul my Jeep. I would like to be able to do some very extreme driving with my truck as well. I found a twin turbo Cummins ISBE that dynod just over 1000 hp and 2000 ft pounds of torque. I will also be running 46 inch tires and an F650 hood.

I noticed many use leafs with coils and you used coils. I would like to use Sway-A-Way 6 tube bypass shocks (with airbags for the heavy loads). Have you thought of a full linked/triangulated setup without leafs or coils yet? I noticed your link setup. Could you have feesibly gone with longer links and got more travel? I am trying to figure out how to fabricate a long travel 6x6. Is this something I should not concern myself with due to the given design stability of the tandem axle setup? i.e. does the long travel really matter since I will just end up with one axle floating over the rocks still leaving one in contact at all times? I noticed your rear hanging in the air in a couple photos and have contemplated how to improve the design. I am inclined to think it would still be beneficial to have long travel so I can keep both axles touching even in the most extreme terrain and be able to climb/crawl all the easier.

Thank you for your time I appreciate your expertise on this matter,

1LT Sean Younk

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I think the biggest problem is the driveshaft between the two rear axles. I am almost certian that Stan's binds on droop and stuff. He has to limit strap it to keep it from going to far.

That will be the biggest issue.

seanyounk

Driveline angle

Is Stan's High Angle or Tom Woods by chance. I will also be placing the axles a few inches further apart since I am looking at 46 inch tires. That would give a little longer driveline to help with the angle.

Thanks

krany

kranberry
rock wells and 46" tires on a street legal truck.....in utah, hope ya can find some massive fender flares.:ugh::rofl: but it certanly sounds like a cool project.