Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

juicebox

Awesome truck! This is the truck I have always wanted. For the last 10 years I have been wanting to put a solid axle in an 89-95 ex cab, make it low, and have 35x10.50x15's.
Way back in high school, there was a kid maybe a year younger than me that had a 80-83, lifted, painted tan, and he did a flatbed. It was so sick! So now my truck fantasy involves a flatbed, with a rack on it for an RTT. Kinda like the tacochaser truck, but an 89-95 ex cab 22re, SAS, 35x1050x15's, e-lockers, functional flatbed with RTT rack. :)

sixstringsteve

glad you like it juicebox. Let's get on it and get you an 89-95 ex-cab. It took me forever to find a clean one with a 22RE, so you'd better start looking.

There's not much I'd change if I were to do it again. I'd still look for a 22RE. However, another great option is to find a 3.0 pickup with a blown engine, then swap in a 3.4L. A bit more expense, but a killer rig at that point. It takes me a while to get up to 75 MPH. A 3.4 would rock!

Where are you located?

Last edited:

juicebox

Yeah, I had a '91 ex cab from 1999-2006, It had the 3.0 in it. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I was afraid to go anywhere because I thought it was on it's last leg. I sold it to a guy and he uses it for hunting. I see him around town and talk to him, he said it's his favorite truck, it has almost 400k on it and it's been to Alaska and Canada multiple times. I sold it to him with full disclosure and very cheap, probably too cheap, but I am glad he is happy with it. I never want a 3.0 again though. I am happy with my 3.4 in my '02.

I think my dream expo/crawler will only live on in the build threads of others, possibly manifested as a radio controlled scale crawler. :p

I am from SLC, (went to cottonwood high) but now I live down here in Cedar City. Also, I am yota_power on TTORA, I think I posted a couple times in the utah members thread.

sixstringsteve

Out with the old and in with the new. I found out my front housing was bent, so it's getting pulled tonight. Thanks to alljeep.com, I got a TG rock assault front housing for a great price. It's going in tomorrow.

meach4x4

I'm starting a new project. Going back to the dark side. It involves selling the pickup, camper (will fix your compensation issue... PRONTO), and 'kick. Then building a LJ and going back to camping in the CCT (Converted Cargo Trailer) for camping in the back country.

Actually, I'm trying to stay ahead of you in number of rigs sold/year so I have to hurry and sell a few... :rofl:

meach4x4

I'm starting a new project. Going back to the dark side. It involves selling the pickup, camper (will fix your compensation issue... PRONTO), and 'kick. Then building a LJ and going back to camping in the CCT (Converted Cargo Trailer) for camping in the back country.

Actually, I'm trying to stay ahead of you in number of rigs sold/year so I have to hurry and sell a few... :rofl:

Oops... I think that was a "condensation" issue... but it would probably help get rid of any extra "compensation" if you bought it, too! :rofl:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Don't do it! fight the urge of A.D.D. thoughts. There was a reason you sold it to build your truck. Fix your axle leak, wheel it, and be happy.
:D

sixstringsteve

The new housing is in. There were two hiccups.

1) the diff studs didn't quite match up to the third member. I had to drill out one of the holes on the diff a little to make it slide over the studs.

2) the way the HP elocker third sits, it allows oil to leak out at the bottom of the diff. Since the housing is flat on the bottom, and the third is round, there's a small gap that allows oil to pass through. Which sucks, cuz now my front diff leaks. It's not pouring out, but it drips a drip every minute or so.

But the housing looks amazing, and it drives well. I need to rotate the tires and get the front end aligned. Currently, when I hit a big bump around 40 mph, the front end wobbles side to side. I think it's because my front tires are worn weird from the last housing being bent.

So now it's leaking at both diffs. If I can fix that, I'll be a happy camper.

It looks small in the pics, but it looks huge in person.

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

It's the perfect width. I ordered the IFS width, which ends up being taco width with my tundra brake conversion kit. It's even a little wider than my old axle with 1.5" spacers.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Steve, regarding the oil leak... is it something that could be sealed up with a quality silicone? Find a tube of the Right Stuff, it's amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if it sealed up the leak.

The new axle looks good!

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Steve, regarding the oil leak... is it something that could be sealed up with a quality silicone? Find a tube of the Right Stuff, it's amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if it sealed up the leak.

The new axle looks good!
+1 on this stuff, it will not run out of a gap like most silicones will.

sixstringsteve

thanks Greg. I think sealant may take care of it. I'll have to drain all the fluid, let it dry, then squirt some Right Stuff in there. Thanks for the tip.

The rear diff is just using a stock gasket, no sealant. So I'm going to pull it, squirt some ultra grey in there (or right stuff?) and seal it all up.

Last edited: