The RME ride we've all been waiting for.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
sounds like it's time to trek out to northern Utah this weekend Greg. I'm sure you've got plenty of people to stay with, but I've got two spare bedrooms if you want to come up Friday night. I live 5 miles from the mouth of the canyon.

Steve, I truly appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to pass on coming up so soon. Wish I could make the ride, but if not, no biggie. Thanks!!

Caleb

Steve, I truly appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to pass on coming up so soon. Wish I could make the ride, but if not, no biggie. Thanks!!
I think that's a good choice. With 40, 41, and 173 all being closed, it really limits what can be riden up there.

On that note, I rode AFC this morning and had a blast. Rode Horseman Flat Loop, connected to 252 and rode it to 157 and took 157 back to the Summit parking lot. Quite a bit of fun. I think we should probably ride a similar loop on Saturday. Not real technical so everyone will be able to have fun. Just a couple spots that are a little tough (a big log crossing, a coupe small root steps, a few switchbacks, etc), just enough to challenge most guys. :)

sixstringsteve

So who all is planning on coming this Saturday?

I'll be there on my CR200, and my brother will be there on his WR250F. I'm not a very good rider, but I'm learning fast. My brother is a much better rider than me. Should be good times.

Is anyone able to take my gas can up the canyon for me? I'd like to ride up the paved road, but I'm not sure I'll have enough gas for the entire trip

sixstringsteve

:rofl: Yeah, something like that :D (actually I did come across a couple horse riders (hate them :))

I've actually heard horror stories about horseback riders up AF canyon. They act all nice and tell you to walk around their horses, then the horses kick you as you go by. Fortunately my Tread Lightly training taught me the proper way to pass horses, but that's just wrong.

Caleb

I'll be there for sure.

Steve, if you can meet me along the main road leading up to the Canyon you can throw your gas can in to the back of my truck.

Caleb

I've actually heard horror stories about horseback riders up AF canyon. They act all nice and tell you to walk around their horses, then the horses kick you as you go by. Fortunately my Tread Lightly training taught me the proper way to pass horses, but that's just wrong.
I'm always afraid I'm going to get kicked, first time I do that horse better hope it knocks me out cold because if it doesn't it's going to get a bullet in the head. Really the reason I hate the horses and their riders is they tear the shit out of the trails. Even today the only places the trails were torn up was due to horses. Pisses me off!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm always afraid I'm going to get kicked, first time I do that horse better hope it knocks me out cold because if it doesn't it's going to get a bullet in the head. Really the reason I hate the horses and their riders is they tear the shit out of the trails. Even today the only places the trails were torn up was due to horses. Pisses me off!

Be sure that the horseback riders aren't ready to shoot back... there was a thread on MotoUtah some time ago about some riders that got shot at by a equestrian crazy up AFC.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I just politely slow down, shut off my engine, and allow the horses to pass. I have never had a rude comment, and frequently have a pleasant conversation as they pass. When people feel respected they also show respect. Also having been on a spooked horse or two, I would prefer not to be helping some old fella back onto his feet due to my loud engine noises...

Caleb

Id like to go. Meet where at 9:30?
Summit parking lot. Just head up the Alpine Loop side to the very top, there will be a sign that says Summit Trailhead Parking (or something like that). If you find yourself heading back down, you've gone too far.

MattL

Just for timing sake, how long does it take to get to this point from the toll booth?
Where is this in reference to tibble fork reservoir?

sixstringsteve

I'd say it's 15-20 min from the toll booth. THe turnoff to tibble fork is around halfway there. Anyone's welcome to meet me at the mouth of the canyon at 9, and you can follow me up the canyon to the summit parking lot.

Last edited:

Caleb

Just for timing sake, how long does it take to get to this point from the toll booth?
Where is this in reference to tibble fork reservoir?
From the booth, maybe 15 minutes. The Canyon forks part way up, Tibble Fork is up the left fork, Alpine Loop (and the Summit parking lot) is up the right fork, so it's not really close to Tibble Fork at all. I'll put together a quick map today and post it up.

MattL

From the booth, maybe 15 minutes. The Canyon forks part way up, Tibble Fork is up the left fork, Alpine Loop (and the Summit parking lot) is up the right fork, so it's not really close to Tibble Fork at all. I'll put together a quick map today and post it up.

Gotcha. I wanted to make sure it wasn't by tibble. I havent been to the summmit parking lot. Im sure Ill see others parking there as well. Is there lots of parking or will it be a challenge to find a spot?