The RME ride we've all been waiting for.

Caleb

Gotcha. I wanted to make sure it wasn't by tibble. I havent been to the summmit parking lot. Im sure Ill see others parking there as well. Is there lots of parking or will it be a challenge to find a spot?
It's got a fair amount of parking, but bikers, horse riders, and motorcyclers all use that parking lot, so on a weekend, I could see it getting busy (although I've never not been able to find a spot).

sixstringsteve

worst case scenario, the parking lot is full and you have to park down by the turnoff for cascade springs, half a mile away.

Caleb

do you guys have an estimate on how long the ride will take? Im still trying to sneak it in
With a group of unknown riders, I would estimate a couple hours (2-3). However, you could easily peel off from the group and make it out much quicker if you needed to (easy to find your way out and I could explain it to you). I rode it yesterday in 2 hours and I stopped a lot and I was also learning my new bike.

sixstringsteve

I talked to the nice older lady at the PG Ranger district today. She said the following trails are closed:

- tibble fork trail
- mud springs
- mill canyon
- timpanookie road
- forest lake

She then said that any trail that wasn't on that list is open. I asked about great western and the ridgeline trail, and she said that since they're not on that list, they're open. So that may open up our options this weekend.

Tyler and I are hading up there today, we'll report back on how the trail conditions are.

sixstringsteve

I found this handy little map of AF canyon.

af%252520canyon%252520trail%252520map.jpg

Caleb

I talked to the nice older lady at the PG Ranger district today. She said the following trails are closed:

- tibble fork trail
- mud springs
- mill canyon
- timpanookie road
- forest lake

She then said that any trail that wasn't on that list is open. I asked about great western and the ridgeline trail, and she said that since they're not on that list, they're open. So that may open up our options this weekend.

Tyler and I are hading up there today, we'll report back on how the trail conditions are.
Yep, besides the 4wd trails, those trails are 040, 041, 173, and 194 ;) I rode part of the ridgeline trail yesterday and can say it is in good shape.

sixstringsteve

I see we have 3 guests watching this thread. If you'd like to atend, set up an RME username and post up, we'd love to meet you.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Steve.....Im gona try to meet you at the gate at 9. I have only been up AF canyon once and have no clue where im goin.

I will be in a black superduty with my bike on the back

Caleb

OK Guys, here's a map from the pay booth at the bottom of the canyon, to the parking lot at the top. Basically, once you're past the pay booth, you take the only right towards the Alpine Loop and stay on that route until you reach the summit.

(click me to zoom in for details)

Total 10.6 miles for the pay booth.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I updated my first post. Please feel free to give input and ideas that I might add there so people don't have to scan several pages to figure out what's going on :) You guy's have fun this weekend I'm really bummed I can't make it :(

pELYgroso

'Merica
man, I wish I could go! 15 minutes wasn't enough the other day, Steve! haha. It's the baby's 1 year B-day on Saturday. I started to ask but got "the look" before I finished the question. not happenin' this weekend. :eek:)