The upcoming moto ride/quick report.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I went out to Soldiers pass yesterday solo. It was my first time out there. Good single track!

I made it pretty much to the other side of the mountain range and just looked at all the intense climbs that are out there. I went North a bit and saw some single track heading up the hill so I went up. It hasnt been traveled much at all. First few climbs were fun. Then it started getting a little sketchy for me. The trail shot across the top of the mountain on a good sidehill. Just when I thought I better stop....there was NO way of turning around. So I kept going. Got to a spot where I could tell it was a fight. The hill was just giving away and there were some rocks to climb at the top of it. I had to walk the bike a bit up it but I made it and was proud of myself. Hopped back on, rode about 10 feet and I dont know what happened, just lost my balance and over the side I went. Did a nice combat roll and tried to kick the bike so it would stay up.....nope. Tumbled a couple times and landed right next to me.

EXACTLY what I didnt want to have happen by myself. But good news was no injuries at all. Not even really scratched. My shoulder gaurd has a good scrape on it but thats it.

There was no way I could get the bike back up to the trail. It was to steep and to loose. Long ways to the bottom of the canyon and no visible trails. I ended up dragging the bike on its side down a ways to where it wasnt so steep (still super steep tho). And just inched my way sidehill back to the trail below. It SUCKED. I was a little skaken for a bit and it was getting late so I got on a dirt road I thought would take me back but it didnt. I ended up way North at the top of the peaks where all the cell phone towers are. Took that road forever and it finally met up with the dirt road I parked on.

I dont think the part I fell on is part of the normal loop. I need to go back with someone who knows the area to show me where I failed.

It was a lot of fun but I think I better go to places Im familiar with if Im solo from now on.

Damn! Now I don't feel so bad about flipping the bike upside down, in front of you the day you bought it!

BTW... we've all been there, it's good to scare yourself every once in a while on your dirtbike! Glad you didn't get hurt, sounds like the bike isn't any worse for wear.

Several years ago while riding with Von up AFC on the Ridge Trail, the shoulder of the trail gave way under my massive DR650... which I SHOULD NOT have been riding up there in the first place. The bike fell uphill, but was about 12' off the trail by the time it stopped sliding. It happened in one of the steeper sections and took me a good 45 min to get the bike back on to the trail and I was exhausted by the time it was over.

Caleb

If anyone wants to go but doesn't know where it is, I'm meeting Russ at 8:30 at the chevron at the cross roads in Lehi/Saratoga. I'll be in a grey LR3 with my 500 on the back. I plan to be out ready to ride at 9.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Russ,

I'll be pulling my trailer to your house so we can just load the bikes on it when I pull up if you'd like. It's a big flatbed with ramps with room for 6+ bikes. Either way, but there are plenty of seats in the Durango and it's full of gas. Could be my turn to cover fuel anyway!

Jared

mesha

By endurance we conquer
This will be my first trail ride ever. I am excited! Well, I take that back it did ride a 4 strike 125 about 10 miles of the road on skyline drive once.

It should be an interesting day.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Damn! Now I don't feel so bad about flipping the bike upside down, in front of you the day you bought it!

BTW... we've all been there, it's good to scare yourself every once in a while on your dirtbike! Glad you didn't get hurt, sounds like the bike isn't any worse for wear.

Several years ago while riding with Von up AFC on the Ridge Trail, the shoulder of the trail gave way under my massive DR650... which I SHOULD NOT have been riding up there in the first place. The bike fell uphill, but was about 12' off the trail by the time it stopped sliding. It happened in one of the steeper sections and took me a good 45 min to get the bike back on to the trail and I was exhausted by the time it was over.

:greg:

I still feel stupid. I think it knocked the confidence level down I was having on this bike. Hopefully it comes back today.

This bike can take a beating!

The kill switch got hit and moved it into the hot start lever. And the radiator fairing got beat up a little more than it already was from me dragging the bike on its side. But thats it! Not bad for a tumble off a mountain