The upcoming moto ride/quick report.

Caleb

You should be fine reusing your front sprocket.

As Steve said, you should be fine...however, for $10-$20, it would be worth my piece of mind doing it as well. That chain was wedged in your front sprocket pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some unseen damage done to it.

sixstringsteve

oh yeah, good call. I forgot it was wedged in there.

Any time your sprockets look like shark fins, it's past time to replace them, along with your chain.

rholbrook

Replace the front. If your going to do more trail than track I would get a bigger rear sprocket too. Go to 50 on the back. It's got plenty of top end, make it easier to lug it around on the tight trails. Just my 2 cents

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've been reasonably happy with 48 13.
so
I had Caleb quote me a 49 and 13.
and a pile of other parts.
With a 13 front it's 2% lower than the 48.
50 is another 2% lower.

We'll see how I like it. I may look at a flywheel weight and an aftermarket stator as I've had no luck finding a WR flywheel.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
are you pretty happy with the bike other than that? Would it be easier to sell it and get exactly what you want?

Quite happy with it.
I did a cost vs performance sheet and I couldn't justify spending 4 or 5 times to get slightly more performance or less weight.
If money wasn't an issue the story would be different.
For the price it out performs (speed and gas mileage) my friend's 05 CRF450x and most unmodded wr450's, and I can't yet ride beyond the limits of the suspension.
The only change I would make is plating it and the lights that go along with that and
something to make it stall less. (this could just be training myself with better clutch control).
a rekluse (if they still made one) would be ideal because
I love that snappy feel and I feel you lose it with a very heavy flywheel like the WR's and CRFx's.
but with the wr flywheel and the right mods I think I can be happy with it for a long time yet.

This bike is still beyond my abilities. Riding it is the only way to get better.

Have you tried posting a wanted add on Thumper Talk? I bet you'll find what you are looking for.

I'll get registered on there.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I think you'd be surprised how snappy it still feels with a FWW. it doesn't make that big of a difference with snappiness, especially with a 400. It does, however, keep it spinning at lower RPMs, which is quite nice.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That's why I'd like to try it.
I could noticeably tell that yours had a heavier flywheel than the last cr250 I rode and the powerband was more tapered, it actually felt real similar to Jeeper's YZ250 (the shape of the powerband) (I think I recall him saying something about his pipe being geared toward low end power and he kicks butt at tuning).
His is quite low geared and felt similar to a heavy flywheel.
I didn't get a feel for the top speed on yours but his was geared low enough in moab to be taching out at the bottom of 4th for me, but I loved the lightness and how the weight felt lower in the chassis... and that 2 stroke powerband hit!

I've ridden Russ' and Cheston's WR450s, and Cheston's old WR400.
Jared's DRZ400 and Jon's CRF450x enough to realize the differences in flywheel weight.

but that may have some to do with the wider gaps between 1st 2nd and 3rd
and the "corked up" nature of the Honda x and rev limits of the wr's + both have pretty restrictive exhausts stock.

I felt like the dual sports were just enough detuned to dislike them in sand.
In fact Jon's CRF450x wouldn't make it up sunset ridge for anything with him on it. The only reason I made it on his bike was because I weigh 90 or so pounds less.
They would run out of breath in high RPM's.
versus the CRF450 and YZ450 I've ridden.
Tonkaman smoked me multiple times up sand mountain on his CRF450 and he's a few pounds more than I am too.

I just love sand, drag racing, hill climbs, jumping, ect...

I think I could be happy either direction: Making a track bike more trail friendly or uncorking a dual sport.
You can't have a do all anything (rig, dirtbike, pedalbike, snowboard) without spending big money and making some compromises.

But I have what I have now so it's a good starting point for me to learn.
I'm quite excited to learn carb tuning and suspension valving (especially because the fundamentals cross over well to offroad suspension shock tuning).

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
So when and where's the next ride? I'm headed to the edge to pick my bike up. They say its running great and that it was just a plugged pilot jet. I don't believe it though. I took the pilot out 5 times and soaked it and blew it out. :mad: Ill ride it around and see if I'm happy. Hopefully it's running great and i'll bring it home. :)

jentzschman

gravesdiggerxj; I love that snappy feel and I feel you lose it with a very heavy flywheel like the WR's and CRFx's. but with the wr flywheel and the right mods I think I can be happy with it for a long time yet.[/QUOTE said:
Having a yz250 and adding a 13oz fww, I can not really notice any difference once she gets spinning. They do however make a huge difference at low rpm's. In the rpm's my yz still snaps enough for my tastes while still having smoother power (as far as I can tell anyway. I added the fww after my first trail ride)

Great thing about them is if you don't like it, its all but 10 minutes to take em off. Plus, I have heard (not confirmed yet) the Stealthy can/will mill the weight down if you want to take some of the weight off. I still need to e-mail them about this.

So when and where's the next ride? I'm headed to the edge to pick my bike up. They say its running great and that it was just a plugged pilot jet. I don't believe it though. I took the pilot out 5 times and soaked it and blew it out. :mad: Ill ride it around and see if I'm happy. Hopefully it's running great and i'll bring it home. :)

Saturday I plan on riding. I am game for anywhere.

sixstringsteve

Mine is also ported to deliver more low-end power, and with the tiny 33mm carb on there, it provides even more low-end. Even with a super light flywheel, my motor would still tractor. But yes, you can definitely that heavier flywheel. It sounds like you know exactly what you want.

Cascadia

Undecided
Bike fired right up. Drove it around their track a few minutes then it started to suckily bog again. I told the guy and he said something about Ktm accelerator pumps blah blah blah. I took it for a ride down the street to try and work it out. I hit 75, let off the gas and I thought I was being shot by a machine gun it was backfiring so bad. I limped it back after it dying 5 times. Took it back to a different mechanic and he tried starting it with no luck. Checked the gas and it was full, gas was on. But no gas. Then he noticed the fuel screw was just dangling there. Put it back in and set it. Fired up, drove it down the road and ran perfect. I'm happy.

I think I'll be happier next bike though when its fuel injected. :D

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
... I think I'll be happier next bike though when its fuel injected. :D

I wish my high-dollar fuel injected KTM 690 Enduro had a carb! It won't stay running and my local KTM dealer didn't even have a tech that had the training to begin to diagnose it. :mad2: I wish I had my DR650, at least I could have been riding!!

Cascadia

Undecided
I wish my high-dollar fuel injected KTM 690 Enduro had a carb! It won't stay running and my local KTM dealer didn't even have a tech that had the training to begin to diagnose it. :mad2: I wish I had my DR650, at least I could have been riding!!
Street legal kit on the 300 and you're set.