General Tech What did you work on Today?

blznnp

Not offroad related but it's what I worked on this last weekend. Have had to deal with some issues with a 47 year old car and a new rear suspension kit but it's just about done. Put a TCI torque arm kit on my 68. Should make the car much more solid with the kit brackets bolting to the body and subframe and also adding subframe connectors....

blznnp

500hp engine, not shabby. What heads and cam?
no clue on the cam, its a 480hp crate LS3 from GMPP. The only difference between it and the stock LS3 is the cam. There are some companies out there saying they can get more power from their cam, dyno tested, so I have thought about swapping out but they are also claiming 20+ more hp. I think I will just run with this set up for a while and if I ever upgrade, it would be to build this engine for turbo or pick up a LSA, depending on what other types of engines chevy comes up with of course

scrogg

Enjoying the Drive
Replaced driver's side wheel hub bearing

IMG_2914.jpg

hmmm..., didn't realize pic was so blurry

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My boys think that showers should be taken in the bathroom and not in the back of my leaky truck, so I resealed the rear window in the pickup today. For a job that requires wading through 50 layers of trim and cladding to get to the window bolts and a couple hours of scrubbing/scraping 15 year old butyl goo, it went pretty easy. I thought about taking it in to a glass place, and I'm glad I didn't.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Caution: I'm long winded.

So back in 2010 I had decided that I wanted to start wrenching. I didn't ever learn much mechanic stuff from my dad but I knew that I enjoyed working on stuff and thought I should start small. My dads family had passed around a 1969 Honda CT90 for a few years but it didn't run well and nobody knew how to work on it and they didn't want to pay someone to fix it. At that time it was sitting on my uncles bad patio leaking oil on the concrete so I asked if I could take it home and tinker with it. He was happy to get it off the patio and I started to disassemble it as soon as I got it home.

It seemed like it had bad compression and it wouldn't shift smoothly. I decided (in error) that I'd pull the motor and crack it open to see if there were any major signs that the shift gears were bad or see if I could find anything obviously broken. I was pretty meticulous about keeping parts from each teardown phase together and labeled everything very well which was a new thing for me. After getting it ripped down I posted a little on a CT90 forum looking for help but I just didn't know enough to understand what the guys were telling me to do. It got cold and I found that a good excuse to ignore all the parts for a few years (5).

In that time that passed I'd like to think I have learned a ton (for me) about putting things back together and am full of misplaced confidence. I also met a neighbor that has several of these in his garage that he rips around on with his 2 year old twins when the weather is nice. We talked about them a few times in passing before I finally asked if he could take a look and give me some guidance. A couple Saturdays later and a few ordered parts and its all back together and running better than I ever remember it. I think my buddy has 6 variations of the Honda 90 in his garage right now. He says that mine is in super good condition for what it is and other than a new piston and rings we didn't need to replace any internals. I was still worried about the shifting when I was doing it on the bench and it was binding up still. Turns out these never bench shift well and to function right they need to have the motor running. The only shifting issues I have now are driver related as I try and remember the shift pattern.

Anyway, here are a few pictures. I had some when it was all ripped apart but can't seem to find them at the moment.

DIdqoqwl.jpg 9ehWXKUl.jpg PIPsrk2l.jpg Jjiqex1l.jpgOfO7NDnl.jpg
SDjDFU3l.jpg Ss2Kygxl.jpg pyRcPYOl.jpg cSFSBJ0l.jpg

After getting it running I got a little nervous thinking that one of my dads siblings would ask for it and want it back. I mentioned that to my dad and he said it wasn't a concern. After my grandma died and my grandpa sold the family home things got divided up between the 7 kids. There was drama and my dad being the pacifist he is just bailed. My grandpa felt bad and over the next several months started to drop "stuff" off at the house, I guess this bike was one of the things that was dropped off.

Feeling better about that I mentioned that I might ask my grandpa about if he had any idea where the title was for it. My dad disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a folder containing the original owners manual (only missing the front cover), the registration paperwork from the last time it had gotten tags (1984), the contract from when they bought it at Salt Lake Honda ($418 before tax), and the title. I don't know whether I'll register it but I'm pretty happy that they had all that paperwork.

As it stands the none of the lights are working, I haven't done much to trouble shoot that but I imagine it'll be something fairly trivial. The covers on both seats are ripped and need to be re-done, I found some replacements but haven't dropped the $$$ for them yet. I also found some heavier duty shocks that I am toying with installing, I just haven't decided if it worth doing for the messing around I intend to do. I keep going back and forth about doing a super restore on it (bead blast, powder coat, blahblahblah...) I still have some thinking to do about that I guess.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Caution: I'm long winded.

So back in 2010 I had decided that I wanted to start wrenching. I didn't ever learn much mechanic stuff from my dad but I knew that I enjoyed working on stuff and thought I should start small. My dads family had passed around a 1969 Honda CT90 for a few years but it didn't run well and nobody knew how to work on it and they didn't want to pay someone to fix it. At that time it was sitting on my uncles bad patio leaking oil on the concrete so I asked if I could take it home and tinker with it. He was happy to get it off the patio and I started to disassemble it as soon as I got it home.

It seemed like it had bad compression and it wouldn't shift smoothly. I decided (in error) that I'd pull the motor and crack it open to see if there were any major signs that the shift gears were bad or see if I could find anything obviously broken. I was pretty meticulous about keeping parts from each teardown phase together and labeled everything very well which was a new thing for me. After getting it ripped down I posted a little on a CT90 forum looking for help but I just didn't know enough to understand what the guys were telling me to do. It got cold and I found that a good excuse to ignore all the parts for a few years (5).

In that time that passed I'd like to think I have learned a ton (for me) about putting things back together and am full of misplaced confidence. I also met a neighbor that has several of these in his garage that he rips around on with his 2 year old twins when the weather is nice. We talked about them a few times in passing before I finally asked if he could take a look and give me some guidance. A couple Saturdays later and a few ordered parts and its all back together and running better than I ever remember it. I think my buddy has 6 variations of the Honda 90 in his garage right now. He says that mine is in super good condition for what it is and other than a new piston and rings we didn't need to replace any internals. I was still worried about the shifting when I was doing it on the bench and it was binding up still. Turns out these never bench shift well and to function right they need to have the motor running. The only shifting issues I have now are driver related as I try and remember the shift pattern.

Anyway, here are a few pictures. I had some when it was all ripped apart but can't seem to find them at the moment.

View attachment 96738 View attachment 96739 View attachment 96740 View attachment 96741View attachment 96742
View attachment 96743 View attachment 96744 View attachment 96745 View attachment 96746

After getting it running I got a little nervous thinking that one of my dads siblings would ask for it and want it back. I mentioned that to my dad and he said it wasn't a concern. After my grandma died and my grandpa sold the family home things got divided up between the 7 kids. There was drama and my dad being the pacifist he is just bailed. My grandpa felt bad and over the next several months started to drop "stuff" off at the house, I guess this bike was one of the things that was dropped off.

Feeling better about that I mentioned that I might ask my grandpa about if he had any idea where the title was for it. My dad disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a folder containing the original owners manual (only missing the front cover), the registration paperwork from the last time it had gotten tags (1984), the contract from when they bought it at Salt Lake Honda ($418 before tax), and the title. I don't know whether I'll register it but I'm pretty happy that they had all that paperwork.

As it stands the none of the lights are working, I haven't done much to trouble shoot that but I imagine it'll be something fairly trivial. The covers on both seats are ripped and need to be re-done, I found some replacements but haven't dropped the $$$ for them yet. I also found some heavier duty shocks that I am toying with installing, I just haven't decided if it worth doing for the messing around I intend to do. I keep going back and forth about doing a super restore on it (bead blast, powder coat, blahblahblah...) I still have some thinking to do about that I guess.

Those CT90's are cool little trail bikes. I have a guy that has a couple that he takes to Quartzite with him every winter. He and his wife ride them all over down there and then when he gets back in March-ish he brings them to me to clean up and get ready for the next season. A few years back I fabricated a couple of racks for his Class-C motorhome so he can carry them.

You have a nice little project there.

Mike.