General Tech What did you work on Today?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hrrrmmmmm, traditional $500+ setup....

20220228_202919.jpg

$275 from Walmart.com ($315 delivered to my door)

20220228_203402.jpg

Brave new world?

20220228_210119.jpg

It'll take some getting used to but I think it'll work out pretty well?20220228_222313.jpg

Resizing windows and such....not bad at all. After looking at two monitors for 15ish years, it's different for sure

Last edited:

rholbrook

Similar to my setup in my office. I have had two 36" TVs hooked up and usually have a movie going in one corner. Just recently I purchased two LG 34' monitors and have been trying that setup out. I'm thinking I like the TVs more but the resolution of the monitors is better for what I do.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Similar to my setup in my office. I have had two 36" TVs hooked up and usually have a movie going in one corner. Just recently I purchased two LG 34' monitors and have been trying that setup out. I'm thinking I like the TVs more but the resolution of the monitors is better for what I do.

Have you been using the 4k TVs or some 1080p units or similar? I think with enough pixels per inch (PPI), you're good to go on whatever size TV/screen you'd want to use that will practically fit your space. I think the gamer folks like other specs and they are "extreme" users but never have bad guidelines to look at. This TV is a 120hz unit. I still think there's another spec the gamers like but I haven't bothered to look it up yet.

If you're staring at something for 8-10 hours per day, you do want quality over price in my opinion. I like to see. It's a great way to get through life. Not worth sacrificing eye sight to save a few bucks.

I just did a quick search about this. Looks like I chose somewhat wisely according to the article above? We'll see how it works out. This might just turn into a garage TV (which would be fine and was my fallback from this experiment) if there's any eye strain issues. (maybe I just reconfigure my work area to get a further viewing distance?) I'll want to optimize the TV for "gaming" and see how it works out for me.

More info at lifewire.com. I'll check my settings when I get home tonight. Worth spending a bit of time but we'll see how things go.

Even more info

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
When COVID started they moved us all to WFH and let us buy equipment (desks, chairs, monitors) on company dime. My coworker thought he was being clever by getting a single 30something screen. I warned him that at least one of our core banking systems automatically takes up the whole screen but he didn't listen and he's hated it for almost 2 years now. It also makes presenting kind of a mess too.

I have (2) 22"ers and a standing/sitting desk. I love it.

mbryson

Supporting Member
When COVID started they moved us all to WFH and let us buy equipment (desks, chairs, monitors) on company dime. My coworker thought he was being clever by getting a single 30something screen. I warned him that at least one of our core banking systems automatically takes up the whole screen but he didn't listen and he's hated it for almost 2 years now. It also makes presenting kind of a mess too.

I have (2) 22"ers and a standing/sitting desk. I love it.

$200 would solve his problem and get him an additional 27 or 24" monitor. Assuming your .org uses laptops, I'd be shocked if his dock didn't have two ports to support a 2nd monitor?

I don't know that I have any apps that take up a whole screen? I'd be a bit grumpy about that if it did at 4096x2160 on this 50" unit.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
$200 would solve his problem and get him an additional 27 or 24" monitor. Assuming your .org uses laptops, I'd be shocked if his dock didn't have two ports to support a 2nd monitor?

I don't know that I have any apps that take up a whole screen? I'd be a bit grumpy about that if it did at 4096x2160 on this 50" unit.
Absolutely, he's just a cheap bastard. He won't pay for anything work-related himself which I guess I understand but he won't put the $500 quarterly WFH stipend towards it either. People are dumb.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Have you been using the 4k TVs or some 1080p units or similar? I think with enough pixels per inch (PPI), you're good to go on whatever size TV/screen you'd want to use that will practically fit your space. I think the gamer folks like other specs and they are "extreme" users but never have bad guidelines to look at. This TV is a 120hz unit. I still think there's another spec the gamers like but I haven't bothered to look it up yet.

If you're staring at something for 8-10 hours per day, you do want quality over price in my opinion. I like to see. It's a great way to get through life. Not worth sacrificing eye sight to save a few bucks.

I just did a quick search about this. Looks like I chose somewhat wisely according to the article above? We'll see how it works out. This might just turn into a garage TV (which would be fine and was my fallback from this experiment) if there's any eye strain issues. (maybe I just reconfigure my work area to get a further viewing distance?) I'll want to optimize the TV for "gaming" and see how it works out for me.

More info at lifewire.com. I'll check my settings when I get home tonight. Worth spending a bit of time but we'll see how things go.

Even more info

Just an update on this. I plugged my work XPS into this early this morning and it DOES NOT WORK with that laptop/video setup. I can only run one monitor with that machine. Resolution is limited. I can't adjust scale from about 300%. It's just kind of what I expected on the first run through. Now I need to decide if this TV will continue to live in my "dungeon" with my computer that it works with or if the TV migrates to the garage and grab something else for the "dungeon"

Reactions: DAA
Worth saying that many of these TVs that have HD support need to be configured to do HD at decent refresh rates instead of the standard TV refresh rates. There are special settings in my Sony that support this.

shortstraw8

I want to buy two of these, this is what we have at my work(except I think they are ultrawides) and almost makes it worth going into the office for. Had two of the 27" non curved at another job and loved them also. Before my 32" screens I had 27"ers , and have the 34s at work I think the 34s are perfect. So much screen space I don't need to have multiple "workspaces" I can see everything I need right there in small boxs spread out.

NYCEGUY01

Got home from work and painted and installed the Aluminum engine and coil covers on my little GMC.

Then ripped out the junk Retrosound stereo i was so thrilled about. It literally lasted like 1 day before it crapped out.

Cant decide if i want to just cut the dash or just install something hidden and do a radio delete plate on the dash

Getting there slowly. Lol

Attachments

• 20220302_162511.jpg
    20220302_162511.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220302_162525.jpg
    20220302_162525.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 16462732542317300820727510558847.jpg
    16462732542317300820727510558847.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 30

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Congrats!!!
Thanks! Its in amazing shape. Previous owners lived there for 52 years and were meticulous with maintenance and updates, so not a whole lot to do with it right off the bat except paint and other small "make it our own" projects. Though the wife is already talking about remodeling the upstairs bathroom... X-D
This is the first place I've owned with a lawn, so I'm going through the Let's Talk Lawns thread with a fine tooth comb as well.