General Tech What did you work on Today?

NYCEGUY01

Spent the afternoon working on my 2wd shortbed.

This one is in the home stretch finally.
Just have to finish putting in the new interior and stereo system before it hits driver status.
And, finally put the hood back on...
This weekend Ill run the wiring for the amps and speakers and then lay in the carpet and bolt in the new seats and console for the last time.

Today I finished mounting the Retrosound stereo in the dash and put in all the ducting for the Vintage air system before I buttoned up the dash for the last time.

Cammed LS/4l60e.
Should cruise with the A/C blasting and stereo thumping at 100mph...

Mike will be getting it for a rear diff install though, 1 legged burnouts are no bueno.....
Just gotta figure out if I like the 3.42 gears 1st or if I decide to go a little lower.

Was a legit 39k mile truck before I took it apart.
It still has the Reagan 84 bumper sticker on the rear bumper...lol

The pic is from last year before I tore it into 1000 pieces...

111.jpg

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Barndominium!
We own the vacant lot next door to our home and I’d love to put something like this on it.

View attachment 146230
I have thought about a barndominium for a long time. I now have a lot (1.1 acres) but I think I’m going to end up with a small cabin with a large shop built behind it.

Part of my reasoning is the opportunity to rent out the cabin as an airbnb type deal. I’ll still build a little space in my shop where I can cook and sleep. It will have a bathroom as well.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Spent the afternoon working on my 2wd shortbed.

This one is in the home stretch finally.
Just have to finish putting in the new interior and stereo system before it hits driver status.
And, finally put the hood back on...
This weekend Ill run the wiring for the amps and speakers and then lay in the carpet and bolt in the new seats and console for the last time.

Today I finished mounting the Retrosound stereo in the dash and put in all the ducting for the Vintage air system before I buttoned up the dash for the last time.

Cammed LS/4l60e.
Should cruise with the A/C blasting and stereo thumping at 100mph...

Mike will be getting it for a rear diff install though, 1 legged burnouts are no bueno.....
Just gotta figure out if I like the 3.42 gears 1st or if I decide to go a little lower.

Was a legit 39k mile truck before I took it apart.
It still has the Reagan 84 bumper sticker on the rear bumper...lol

The pic is from last year before I tore it into 1000 pieces...

View attachment 146234

That'll make a cool little driver James. I had an '82 just like it that was my shop truck for a few years. Sold it to build my 1991 shop truck back in the early 2000's. Kind of wish I had my old '91 back.

I passed you the other night on the old highway in your stepside. You were heading north and I was heading south leaving my son/DIL's. I thought "huh, that's a cool looking square body coming at me", then when you passed I realized it was you.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Barndominium!
We own the vacant lot next door to our home and I’d love to put something like this on it.

View attachment 146230

Personally, I'm not a fan of the barndominiums. Our realtor friend who helped up look and buy our current home back in 2016 tried talking us into building one in Morgan Co. My wife was fully on-board but I wasn't.

My thoughts were I wanted a nice home with a detached shop completely separate from the house. Our last place also had a detached shop and I had a co-worker at the time who added onto his attached garage enough to double the square footage of his workspace and I remember going over there to help him once in a while and his wife complaining about the noises and smells from the shop making their way into the house. I know how much I work in my shop and there's no way I want those sounds and smells migrating into my home. I can't imagine having the living quarters attached to my work shop. Now if all you did was store vehicles like a museum environment I guess it would be different. I could sit outside my living quarters and drool over my vehicles or RV all day long, but no work would get done.:D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Personally, I'm not a fan of the barndominiums. Our realtor friend who helped up look and buy our current home back in 2016 tried talking us into building one in Morgan Co. My wife was fully on-board but I wasn't.

My thoughts were I wanted a nice home with a detached shop completely separate from the house. Our last place also had a detached shop and I had a co-worker at the time who added onto his attached garage enough to double the square footage of his workspace and I remember going over there to help him once in a while and his wife complaining about the noises and smells from the shop making their way into the house. I know how much I work in my shop and there's no way I want those sounds and smells migrating into my home. I can't imagine having the living quarters attached to my work shop. Now if all you did was store vehicles like a museum environment I guess it would be different. I could sit outside my living quarters and drool over my vehicles or RV all day long, but no work would get done.:D

After building a decent sized attached, I'd echo your sentiments. I'd like a separate outbuilding. For the market in which we bought our house, I'd do what I did over again though. The original intent was to build a separate building but by the time we sold our existing home, bought land at about $40k more than we budgeted and contracted on building our house at about $50k more than we budgeted, the outbuilding became less important than just getting into something that will work.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I definitely agree on the smells and sounds from the garage side, though my wife will leave both doors open from the garage into the house, and bitch about the smells getting into the house.

Having the front/back garage door open (in the right weather) will keep our house unaffected. On cooler days I hear about things a bit. Not as much as I thought I would, though.

Thursty

If I did the kind of work you do I’d want a separate shop as well. I don’t see myself doing much more than routine maintenance very often. 😁

JeeperG

Stepping back a bit now to a problem we seen at the beginning of mock up. My driver side wheel doesn't centerline off the fender. My brother has been stewing on this for sometime now and I kind of laugh at how much it's pissing him off trying to figure out why cause I have no clue and it hurts my brain. Long story short... plumb bobs off each lower ball joint, plumb bob off the output shaft of the transmission and marking the floor shows us driver side sits half an inch farther forward in that triangulation, we think possibly by cutting the gusset and sleeve off the back side of the crossmember for that main bolt holding that lower control arm on will fix this? I need to get the rack off and pull that bolt out of the sleeve and see if moving that lower arm fixes this.
PXL_20220219_004049044.jpg

1969honda

Supporting Member
I'm sure a few of you remember my fubar from a come years ago in the classified section where i picked up "Ford HP D60 front axle with 65" wms-wms" from KSL. Well that turned out to actually be a low pinion housing with ford knuckles, a grenaded 6.17 ring and pinion complete with 4.56+ detroit locker in it.

I tore it all down and found the pinion seal area pretty destroyed along with a pinion gear that had no teeth from when it failed in a pull truck. Upon inspecting the Detroit one side of the clutch assembly had sheared teeth as well.🤦‍♂️

20220219_151924.jpg

Me, being me, (aka gluton for punishment) I decided to order the clutch half and repair the locker. That turned in to an adventure in and of itself finding parts. However while in Kuwait about this time last year the parts showed up and today I decided to tear the locker apart and install the new clutch half. (Notice the inner teeth are actually present)

20220219_151928.jpg

I inspected everything one more time and buttoned it back up in about an hour. While assembling it I put blue loctite on the 3/8" bolts and also put some moly grease on both sets of clutch teeth. Now I just need to decide if I really want to deal with an automatic locker in the front of the K5 or not. Keep an eye on the classifieds in the near future because it's not looking like it'll happen. At this point I'm into it the cost of the clutch half and my time after selling off some of the other axle parts and switching to a 05+ SD60 housing.

NYCEGUY01

Another day working on the little GMC.
Fairly productive morning and I can totally see the light at the end of the tunnel finally...
Starting to get exited for this one to be done.

Got the hood back on all adjusted and the put grille back in.
Got the carpet in and put the seats and console in permanently.

Then I gave it one more quick once over and went and put about 100 miles on it.
Had a bad valve stem that started leaking but a quick detour to the tire shop and 20 min later we were back on the road.
Its the first time its been off the property in over a year and the first time ever with LS power.
Still waiting on some dash parts to finish all the ducting and get the dash mounted for good.

The 3.42 gears might be a tad high running around town but cruising around on the freeway its good as is.
Probably the first Squarebody Ive had, of many, that I can totally see a long road trip in.

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 35
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 29
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 34
  • C4.jpg
    C4.jpg