General Tech What did you work on Today?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
No pics but helped my pal fix the brakes on his 90ā€™s chev pickup his dad paid over 70k to customize. Feel terrible dad started this project over 2 years ago. My pals been working in Florida. 70k and after seeing the truck I donā€™t think itā€™s worth 10. While working on it discovered they didnā€™t even paint the full panel, stopped right where it starts to roll under the truck no attempt to blend or anything . Shady wiring, delivered without even being able to open the door. Wanted to charge him even more to fix the brakes. His dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a few weeks ago, been trying to get the truck back so his dad can see it before he passes. Literally as I start pulling brakes apart he gets a call from the care center confirming if his dad has a DNR because heā€™s declining.

Donā€™t know how the people that work at these shops can sleep at night

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
No pics but helped my pal fix the brakes on his 90ā€™s chev pickup his dad paid over 70k to customize. Feel terrible dad started this project over 2 years ago. My pals been working in Florida. 70k and after seeing the truck I donā€™t think itā€™s worth 10. While working on it discovered they didnā€™t even paint the full panel, stopped right where it starts to roll under the truck no attempt to blend or anything . Shady wiring, delivered without even being able to open the door. Wanted to charge him even more to fix the brakes. His dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a few weeks ago, been trying to get the truck back so his dad can see it before he passes. Literally as I start pulling brakes apart he gets a call from the care center confirming if his dad has a DNR because heā€™s declining.

Donā€™t know how the people that work at these shops can sleep at night

The legal papers prevent naming names.. but itā€™s a joke what ā€˜professionalsā€™ shops do these days.
Iā€™m convinced itā€™s an issue brought on partially by our (general publicā€™s) incompetence. If the general ā€˜manā€™ knew what he was taking about anymore, the shops would be held accountable and up their quality. But instead, because we are no longer competent, we canā€™t even identify a simple problem.
The things that contractors/mechanics/etc get away with is insane.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The legal papers prevent naming names.. but itā€™s a joke what ā€˜professionalsā€™ shops do these days.
Iā€™m convinced itā€™s an issue brought on partially by our (general publicā€™s) incompetence. If the general ā€˜manā€™ knew what he was taking about anymore, the shops would be held accountable and up their quality. But instead, because we are no longer competent, we canā€™t even identify a simple problem.
The things that contractors/mechanics/etc get away with is insane.

They wanted to charge him $800 per axle to do the brakes. I had them done in less than an hour two new calipers and bled. $150 in parts. Thankfully my pal isnā€™t an older gentleman with declining mental health and told them to pound sand and got the truck out of there.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
They wanted to charge him $800 per axle to do the brakes. I had them done in less than an hour two new calipers and bled. $150 in parts. Thankfully my pal isnā€™t an older gentleman with declining mental health and told them to pound sand and got the truck out of there.

Les Schwab wants $900 per axle for brakes. They claim they have to replace the caliper because they ā€˜are not meant to go in and out all the timeā€™
Perfect example of people not knowing better being taken advantage of.

1969honda

Supporting Member
I was pressed for time recently and stopped by a shop to get a brake quote. The counter guy told me he could replace my rotors (grooved) and resurface the pads to save some of the cost. When I asked how they resurface pads the guy said he just puts them on the wire wheel and gets the surface flat again. šŸ˜³

Yeah, I promptly walked out and decided to just do them myself.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I was pressed for time recently and stopped buy a shop to get a brake quote. The counter guy told me he could replace my rotors (grooved) and resurface the pads to save some of the cost. When I asked how they resurface pads the guy said he just puts them on the wire wheel and gets the surface flat again. šŸ˜³

Yeah, I promptly walked out and decided to just do them myself.

Was this shop in Trenton? That's pretty backwards thinking for sure :D

Coco

Wow, we are usually competitively priced, and will only replace calipers if we see obvious failing (frozen, leaking, etc.) but most cars we can do pads/rotors for $349.99 an axle plus taxes, and most light duty trucks/SUVs for $379.99 plus taxes... I have heard of LS's 'always needing calipers' rumor before and just cant figure why they think that.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Wow, we are usually competitively priced, and will only replace calipers if we see obvious failing (frozen, leaking, etc.) but most cars we can do pads/rotors for $349.99 an axle plus taxes, and most light duty trucks/SUVs for $379.99 plus taxes... I have heard of LS's 'always needing calipers' rumor before and just cant figure why they think that.
Itā€™s all outlined in his book. The cliff notes ante that they sell it as a safety but the reality it is about a higher ticket price.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
It took all day and 3 trips to Home Depot, but I built an add on cart for my shop vac to hold a dust seperator.

I'm tired of clogging filters almost everytime I use my shop vac, so I bought the dust seperator to try and help. I found a guy that did this setup online and copied his to an extent, with a few tweeks to make it mine.

C4356701-6974-4048-9AA7-00A03CEED32B.jpeg

DC25095F-3A63-4C5C-A2EB-EB914B99875B.jpeg

6D3C5F11-976C-4F6D-A9B2-6C156D9666C6.jpeg

40ED5742-A682-4E13-9753-A5557002252E.jpeg

5E4C3282-22EF-48E1-816E-49A7EA9F81F7.jpeg

Once that was done, I got to the project I really wanted to get done: monitor stands for my home office monitors. I thought about doing 1 long stand, but decided to go with 2 identical stands for a little flexibility.

I took a grand total of 0 pics during the process, but took these 2 when I was done rubbing oil on them. I'll put them in my office tomorrow when they're dry.

6EB0F748-B47B-4FCD-A83E-397E41F7448A.jpeg

D3FE181F-1C78-4BC4-99E2-7AB13FCC345C.jpeg

XJEEPER

Les Schwab wants $900 per axle for brakes. They claim they have to replace the caliper because they ā€˜are not meant to go in and out all the timeā€™
Perfect example of people not knowing better being taken advantage of.
Last fall, my DIL showed up with a low tire on a Saturday afternoon and I found a nail in it, so I sent her over to the local South Ogden LS for a flat-repair.
She came back 20min later, rather upset that Schwabs had told her that she would need 4 new tires (all had less than 8k miles on them) because she got a nail in one of them and it was too near to the sidewall to patch. "Their policy is that they would need to replace the whole set for safety and liability reasons."

I immediately drove her car back over to the Schwabs and questioned their business practices and got lots of blank stares, followed by a couple of flawed logic excuses by the manager. Preying on a young woman who they assume is mechanically ignorant and gullible is a very shady business practice.

She took her car to Discount Tire the following Monday (where her tires were purchase from) and they swapped out the damaged tire under their Road Hazard policy.

NYCEGUY01

The Manager at my local LS is a jackass. I needed new tires on my 2015 Camaro a couple years ago and wanted Michelin sports. I tried to get them there and after a couple weeks they couldnt actually get them. I ordered a set from Tire Rack and when I went to LS to have them mounted he pulled my car in the shop, jacked it up and pulled the wheels off and then called me to the counter and decided he wanted $400 for 4 mount and balance since they were "special" 20" wheels and I didnt get the tires there.

They got to put all 4 wheels back on and watch me drive away to never return...lol

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I already drive past a LS to get to a discount but Iā€™d drive past 4 if I had to. Iā€™m not saying discount doesnā€™t make mistakes but Iā€™ve had a great experience with them over the last couple decades.

Also, fun fact: I can hear the shop phone at LS ringing from my porch. They have that thing turned up to 11!