General Tech What did you work on Today?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
First thing I did on my 60 gal Home Depot unit was replace the drain valve on the bottom with bit of plumbing to a ball valve out front. Now, any water the accumulates sits in a bit of 3/8" galvanized pipe that is easily replaced rather than in the tank itself. The most I've ever drained out of the tank was about a couple tablespoons of water, but I'm not a very heavy user of air tools.

I give up, what does the periscope with air fittings on the right do?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I just leave little rusted out holes in the bottom of my compressors, so they self dry all the time.. is that not the right answer?? ;)

D

Deleted member 12904

Built a new roll cage over Christmas break and finally welded up the roof rack tonight.
484C9028-8044-4F75-B7E8-8713D6BDC9B1_zpsyvdkj8de.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Power. Lots of it.

4ac4b93236e2fd6a24a471647d4616bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I worked on 3.4L V6 Toyota with a friend today. The starter wouldn't turn over. Decided the connection on the starter was dirty. How the hell do you people stand working on toyotas. I couldn't get my hand in there at all.

Finally with enough extensions and wobbles we got the nut off and cleaned it up.

Now it starts just fine.

It restored my faith that messing with European cars is better. Easier to work on and fit my hands into places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My 4 Runner starter quite last summer. It was the worst thing for access that I have repaired on that rig to date. That said, it wasn't that bad. Just need the right angle. I got it out from the passenger wheel well with several ratcheting wrenches if I remember correctly.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
What have I been working on lately???? Moving out of my old home and shop. What a PITA.

I took my 10k pound 2-post lift down to start with. One column down and one to go.
vgle7c.jpg

Both columns loaded and strapped down on the trailer and ready to bring to the new house.
v5z7et.jpg

I then moved on to getting the mill, lathe and air compressor ready for relocation to our new home.
oax3dw.jpg

My toolbox and my son's toolbox moved into position and ready to load.
1zd117s.jpg

And the last two pictures are of an empty shop.
9fpe91.jpg

2i1ctfq.jpg

Kind of a sad sight as this has been the hang out for my son and I where we have built and modified many, many vehicles/toys over the past 26 years.

Now onto the next chapter in our new home and the building of our new shop.

Mike.

ricsrx

i am not looking forward to my next move... I used the neighbors tractor to put my equipment in place.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Wow, that's a lot of work. Good luck with setting it all back up.

Thanks. It took me and my son 3 weeks to move the shop and about 3 days to move the house.:rofl:

Are you going far Mike? What are the new shop plans?

We moved about 8 miles further north of where we were. I couldn't stand looking at my neighbor's junkyard next door who was driving the property values down for the entire neighborhood. He had more shit in his yard that Sanford & Sons and was continually adding more. My wife was the one who actually drove this move. We had talked about it off and on for about the past 3+ years but when the neighbor hauled in more junk this past July and my wife came home to find some neighbor kids climbing on the back of our coach she said enough is enough and we were moving to a place where we could build a bigger detached garage for me to work in as well as park our RV in. The new shop/RV garage is going to be 50' deep by 60' wide and have 16' ceilings. There will be a dividing wall for a 50'x40' work area or shop and then the remaining 20'x50' will be a storage bay for the coach as well as hopefully another race car one day.

i am not looking forward to my next move... I used the neighbors tractor to put my equipment in place.

I wasn't looking forward to the move either, maybe that is why I kept talking my wife out of it for the past several years. I told her the ONLY way we would do it is if we buy our retirement home now and set it up for our ideal situation. It took us about 6 months to find the home but it was worth it.

Thanks guys. I will definitely post up some pictures of the new shop once we start construction. Currently I am waiting on concrete footing/foundation contractor as the weather has held them up a bit.

Mike.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That sounds like a great setup on the new place. My parents moved based on a similar situation with a neighbor. This guy would fill up his driveway then spill into the cul de sac that was across the street from him. When code enforcement would come by he would somehow move everything into his backyard and driveway for a few days but before long it would all spill out into the street again for a rinse and repeat.

I hope the new place works out better and that you guys don't run into too many hiccups with the shop build.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Got halfway through rewiring the tongue of my brother's new-used gooseneck. I've never been a fan of just sandwiching the raw stripped wire ends under the little screw plate in the trailer plug, so I always solder on terminals and screw them in without the plate.

7363B5B5-0C06-41CA-A741-B83B5F24F59B_zpslotauq1l.jpg

I also picked up a junction box and got it mounted with screws and 3M double sided tape. Same thing with the wire ends. Still need to feed in the rest of the wires.

4A1E290E-2AC0-49F8-8A19-1D854DF288F4_zpsiztjom8k.jpg

and cut all the welds holding down this heavy expanded steel over top of the wood decking. I tried to lift/slide it off by myself and there is no way it's happening. I bet it weighs about 600 lbs.

902C53B0-C0EB-41EE-8175-C19AB3ECE4A5_zpsdsdxmrbz.jpg

Bart

Nice trailer wiring. I'll be picking up a junction box this spring to rewire the trailer I picked up last fall. Nice job on the connectors.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
That sounds like a great setup on the new place. My parents moved based on a similar situation with a neighbor. This guy would fill up his driveway then spill into the cul de sac that was across the street from him. When code enforcement would come by he would somehow move everything into his backyard and driveway for a few days but before long it would all spill out into the street again for a rinse and repeat.

I hope the new place works out better and that you guys don't run into too many hiccups with the shop build.

Thanks Nate, I appreciate that. Hoping to start the shop as soon as the weather cooperates and the footing/foundation sub's can get in there.

Mike.