General Tech What did you work on Today?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Worked on the girl truck this week. Falcons all around, AAL in the rear and the bro wheels. Toyota should build them this way. Love everything about it now, except the shifting, I still hate the damned shifting. Ott tune coming soon.
View attachment 169841

View attachment 169842

I'd be curious to hear what you think of the Tacoma on Falcons, seems like a fun desert bomber!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I only killed a few of those before upgrading to beefy poly ones. Then I broke them off the motor and went to the brown dog ones.

Gawynz

I'm curious how old those mounts are, maybe the original (1990)? I think somebody before me had the idea to change them though, I didn't realize it before but once I got the passenger mount out I noticed all three bolts from the bracket to the block were loose :oops:. To remove the passenger bracket you have to remove the oil filter and adapter, I think someone tried doing it another way and then just quit, the driver bracket was tight though. The more I look the more I find...

I thought about the brown dog mounts but chose not to spring for them at this point, maybe 4 or 5 oil changes from now I'll go that route if I ever get this thing on the road.

XJEEPER

Are you going to fill the void with urethane? Like the drifter guys?
I've filled the voids on my XJ engine mounts with urethane, which reduces the amount that the rubber can stretch. Definitely extends their lifespan. Seems to be a decent compromise VS running a harder durometer mount which transfers more vibration to the chassis. My stroker is getting these Stinky Fab Racing block mounts.IMG_0869.jpeg

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I ran out of talent on a trail yesterday and tagged a rock fairly hard with my passenger rear tire at speed. I heard it hissing air so we stopped quick and broke out the plug kit.

2 punctures in the sidwall...😞. Guess I should have paid for the tire warranty at the dealer.

4 plugs later (3 in the large tear, 1 in the smaller hole) we were back on the move.
IMG_7531.jpeg

If I had been alone I would've left it on till Vegas, but I didn't want to worry my buddy riding with me so we threw the spare on when we got off the trail and weren't in the way.

Found a tire at a dealer in Vegas today. $400 later I'm back in good shape. Damn these tires are expensive!

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Got hired to go down to Lake Powell and do a bunch of repairs on a house boat while it was out of the water. Great opportunity to try out the new spool gun!
Couple railings that were in really bad shape and a slide bracket that had broken off and was really sketchy even when it wasn't broken.

Before on the Railing:
IMG_7555.jpegIMG_7554.jpegIMG_7553.jpeg
IMG_7552.jpeg

After on the Railing... I also had to replace the sleeve for the gate down underneath in the crawlspace.
IMG_2209.jpegIMG_2214.jpeg
IMG_2212.jpeg

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
How does a spool gun compair to tig welding aluminum? Obviously much faster but difficulty dialing the settings and skill required to make good welds?
Speed is the main benefit and ease to getting into a weird spot.
Quality of weld goes pretty far down though. Maybe it's just because I haven't put a ton of time into the spool gun. But I was also welding on a ton of oxidized aluminum that no matter how much I cleaned it, it wasn't perfect. There were definitely a few repair welds I did that will not be posted on here because I'm ashamed.
It's not real hard skill wise, but material prep is paramount. Dialing setting can be weird because it's real reliant on have the perfect gas flow or you'll get black soot all around the weld.
I was generally happy with most of my welds, especially considering the circumstance. Compared to the original welds and even some of the repairs that were done previously I'm happy with the quality I was able to put down. But I definitely could've done better with TIG, it would've just taken me 3 times as long.

Last edited:

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Doing some maintenance to the tow rig so it's set up for wheeling and camping season. This weekend was a new KC Turbo. I think the OEM unit (150K+) was starting to lose a little oil. I found the exhaust clamp loose with soot around it - new one is quiet with new clamps and builds boost a bit faster. This one is a replacement for the original garrett, has a billet compressor wheel, improved bearings and adjustable wastegate.

Turbo.jpg