Your Pic of The Day

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Wife got ran into after 2 other cars head on collided... everyone was perfectly healthy.

Is it wrong of me to hope that they'll total the car so I no longer have to deal with it... for reference the car is over 200k and not worth much but has all the tech doodads in it... meaning any damage to the front body panels is minimum $2k in repairs.

IMG_3193.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Wife got ran into after 2 other cars head on collided... everyone was perfectly healthy.

Is it wrong of me to hope that they'll total the car so I no longer have to deal with it... for reference the car is over 200k and not worth much but has all the tech doodads in it... meaning any damage to the front body panels is minimum $2k in repairs.

View attachment 165322
Any airbags blow?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

View attachment 165322

That's at least $4-5k by the time it's out of the shop. Any oil coolers/intercoolers/radiator or any other damage? How are the fender/door gaps especially on the drivers side?

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
That's at least $4-5k by the time it's out of the shop. Any oil coolers/intercoolers/radiator or any other damage? How are the fender/door gaps especially on the drivers side?
I haven't been able to look at it myself yet. She was able to drive it home and didn't see anything leaking from her car. Did have the Back door hatch open randomly and a brake light is out all the sudden so they're is probably some electrical bug that surfaced... :rolleyes:

I just know that any work on that front grill/bumper area is a massive pain. Work on the headlights, grill, or collision sensors requires (according to Ford...) the removal of the entire front section of the vehicle. When I had a shop quote a Headlight replacement it was going to be $600 because labor was so high.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I would have never guessed this. I figured they told you how it’s gonna be and that’s that.
When my wife's car got pretty messed up in a wreck the adjuster actually asked me what I wanted to see happen. I was like TOTAL THAT SHIIIIII and it ended up working out that way.

Houndoc

Talk to the adjuster, let them know your preference. Sometimes they have a little wiggle room to slide things in the direction you'd rather they went in.
We had that a few years ago- estimate came out just under being 'totaled' and the adjust said he could work to get it declared totaled if we wanted.
Was my kids' high school car and they liked it (my Montero Sport for those who remember) so we kept it. Unfortunately major mechanical issues a year or so later so came out on the short end financially, but with a happy son since it died right as he left on his mission.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
If the car is close to being totaled, it's in the insurance company's best interest to total it IF there could be more damage than the adjuster can see (impossible for them to see everything). Especially where she was hit into the next car, I'd imagine there is damage unknown? The adjusters do this every day. They'll have a pretty good idea pretty quick.