Your Pic of The Day

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I would have never guessed this. I figured they told you how it’s gonna be and that’s that.
Isn't this also why housing prices have skyrocketed so quickly... Builder hires an appraiser that says yes to whatever number they want.

When my wife's car got pretty messed up in a wreck the adjuster actually asked me what I wanted to see happen. I was like TOTAL THAT SHIIIIII and it ended up working out that way.
Anyone know what the banks use to value a vehicle? I'm just trying to gauge likelihood of it being totaled. We get to wait for the "at fault" insurance to get all the info before I can take it in for a quote.

IMG_1542.jpeg
IMG_1544.jpeg
IMG_1545.jpeg

Lots of broken plastic!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
New header panel and everything fwd of that. Probably $2000+
New hood. $600ish
Paint work/fitment: $1000-2000?
I'd be surprised if you're under $4500-5000 on repair.

As far as value, what's market value on that car? KSL is an "ok" barometer. NADA another and Kelly Blue Book another. CarMax would be bottom dollar on the trade. I'd probably average the NADA/KSL/KBB and assume that's pretty close once you factored in miles and condition. Don't let the adjuster talk you lower. If they are asses, show them your research.

Just a fitted/painted hood and bumper cover would be at least $2500?

1697572649329.png

Is the circle the only broken part? The arrows are OEM or are they broken?

Last edited:

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
New header panel and everything fwd of that. Probably $2000+
New hood. $600ish
Paint work/fitment: $1000-2000?
I'd be surprised if you're under $4500-5000 on repair.

As far as value, what's market value on that car? KSL is an "ok" barometer. NADA another and Kelly Blue Book another. CarMax would be bottom dollar on the trade. I'd probably average the NADA/KSL/KBB and assume that's pretty close once you factored in miles and condition. Don't let the adjuster talk you lower. If they are asses, show them your research.

Just a fitted/painted hood and bumper cover would be at least $2500?

View attachment 165333

Is the circle the only broken part? The arrows are OEM or are they broken?
Almost every attachment point like that is broken. In the circle.

As per the arrows. That gap is not OEM. Either the pieces were adhered some way or there wasn't any gap. I'd have to run out and look again if it's an actual break.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Almost every attachment point like that is broken. In the circle.

As per the arrows. That gap is not OEM. Either the pieces were adhered some way or there wasn't any gap. I'd have to run out and look again if it's an actual break.

If you want it totaled, hopefully that is busted up pretty good. If all the attachment points are busted, it's going to need to be replaced. That's labor for everything attached. That can add up pretty fast

The adjuster will likely try to sell you on used parts? I'm not sure how I'd feel about that personally. On one hand, you're likely getting an OEM part from the used part. For a plastic part like the header panel, that's not a bad thing vs an aftermarket part that may not quite be "right". For sheetmetal, used stuff usually is worse than fixing the original and I'd want a new Motorcraft part. It's YOUR car. You (or your wife) are not at fault. They need to return the car to the condition it was in or better at the time of the accident.

You're also without the use of that car for today through whenever it's delivered back to you. A lot of shops will tell you 10-14 days. Sometimes that turns into 21-30 days. You still need the function of that vehicle. That's some $ as well. Help the adjuster remember that also. If you don't get a rental, get cash back for the loss of the use of the vehicle.

DAA

Supporting Member
Isn't this also why housing prices have skyrocketed so quickly... Builder hires an appraiser that says yes to whatever number they want.

@jeeper is being attacked! But I've got his back.

I'm as close to the appraisal industry as it is possible to be, without being an actual appraiser. The only customer my job of over 32 years has, is appraisers. I've taken and passed all the required courses to become a licensed appraiser. I know USPAP forwards and backwards. I know all of the legislation effecting appraisers better than 98% of all appraisers do. I know the ANSI standards for measuring GLA better than 99.9% of all appraisers. I know what is coming in the way of new laws effecting appraisers better than 99.9% of all appraisers do (we sit on the gov't committees). Etc.

Simply put. No, not even close. I could go into excruciating detail, I know all of it, chapter and verse. But the gist is, for any federally regulated mortgage transaction, no, the builder, by federal law, has absolutely zero say in choosing an appraiser. Isn't allowed to contact the appraiser.

Appraisers absolutely unfairly and inaccurately took the blame for 2008. Because they were the poorest, least represented, easiest targets for the .02% elites that actually caused it to lay the blame on. It's all bullshit. Those ultra rich MF'ers knew exactly what they were doing and knew they would get away with it and they did. Just like they ALWAYS do. And will again.

Housing prices have skyrocketed because of supply and demand. Too many people wanting to buy, not enough houses for sale.

- DAA

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger

I'm as close to the appraisal industry as it is possible to be, without being an actual appraiser. The only customer my job of over 32 years has, is appraisers. I've taken and passed all the required courses to become a licensed appraiser. I know USPAP forwards and backwards. I know all of the legislation effecting appraisers better than 98% of all appraisers do. I know the ANSI standards for measuring GLA better than 99.9% of all appraisers. I know what is coming in the way of new laws effecting appraisers better than 99.9% of all appraisers do (we sit on the gov't committees). Etc.

Simply put. No, not even close. I could go into excruciating detail, I know all of it, chapter and verse. But the gist is, for any federally regulated mortgage transaction, no, the builder, by federal law, has absolutely zero say in choosing an appraiser. Isn't allowed to contact the appraiser.

Appraisers absolutely unfairly and inaccurately took the blame for 2008. Because they were the poorest, least represented, easiest targets for the .02% elites that actually caused it to lay the blame on. It's all bullshit. Those ultra rich MF'ers knew exactly what they were doing and knew they would get away with it and they did. Just like they ALWAYS do. And will again.

Housing prices have skyrocketed because of supply and demand. Too many people wanting to buy, not enough houses for sale.

- DAA
Your knowledgeable rebuttal to my uninformed offhand remark is making me feel oppressed. I must retreat to a safe space.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time

Nope. It's because I create a fair an honest value for a property....
-Then the buyer calls and cries on the phone to me that they can't get funding approved for their dream house and tell me I'm going to ruin their lives if I don't appraise it for more.
-Then the sellers call me and tell me they are going to sue me for ruining a 'fair' transaction because it's not as high as the price they agreed to.
-Then the agents from both sides call the lender and request a 'reconsideration of value' and send over comparables that are 20 years newer, 2,000sq ft bigger, and on a golf course to get to the value to where the think it should be..

So then, the buyer want's new appliances for their new home and buys them on payments from R WE Silly. A few months go by and the buyer can no longer make his truck payment, credit card payment, appliance payment, wife boob job payment, and the mortgage. So they default.

And it's all because the Appraiser 'over-valued' a home.

- DAA

I knew at least one person, somewhere, anywhere, at some point would appreciate me!

STAG

I remember seeing that some states also account for the additional monetary decrease in value of the vehicle since now that it’s been in an accident and the carfax is tainted, it’s not as desirable to a buyer than someone with an accident-free vehicle.