Constrictor Sign down??

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I can see why he was going into the side hill. He was getting extra dirt to fill in low spots or large ruts on the road. Remember drilling rigs are not exactly nimble machines. They don't have the suspension flex your Jeep does.

As for the holes dug on the downward slope. Possible for water run off?

Last edited:
I can see why he was going into the side hill. He was getting extra dirt to fill in low spots or large ruts on the rod. Remember drilling rigs are not exactly nimble machines. They don't have the suspension flex your Jeep does.

That's what I thought. He's sourcing material to improve the road surface. I think that's private land.

DToy

I can see why he was going into the side hill. He was getting extra dirt to fill in low spots or large ruts on the road. Remember drilling rigs are not exactly nimble machines. They don't have the suspension flex your Jeep does.

Like I said, the pictures don't do it justice. I have been in commercial construction for 10+ years. I also graded 10 miles of roads at my cabin property earlier this year. These guys had no clue what they were doing. There were no significant low spots or ruts where he was filling it up. The holes that he dug on the downward slope were not for water runoff - he didn't dig them all the way up to the road, just randomly along the side of the road. And why would you need to dig up trees that were off the side of the road when you could dig 2 or 3 feet to the side to get the dirt needed to fill low spots? The way to fix the road would have been to have a cat make 1 or 2 passes on it, not dig potholes along the sides all the way up. Guess you had to be there. :rolleyes:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Yes seeing photos and being there are two different things. You posted what you saw and I/we're trying to come up with answers. Ya the guy who was operating the machine could have been a total idiot. Digging into the side hill and downward slope might not have been needed or maybe not in such a drastic way. There is not much that can be done about it other then calling the BLM and telling them you are seeing massive land abuse by the operators of the machines out there.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Meat, what do you think about re-installing this sign in the coming weeks if the weather permits? Anyone have access to an auger? I'm not too worried about the cold other then letting the cement cure as needed. Thoughts?

I did hear about how it was torn out. As we suspected (and hoped) there was a rollover at that spot and they did use the sign as an anchor. He's not an internet savvy dude and wasn't sure who to get ahold of. I'm told he called the BLM office (couldn't remember the name on the bottom of the sign once he got home), of course the BLM had no clue what he was talking about and said they didn't have any metal signs near there. Its a crappy deal but he felt bad about it and I don't think he even has a clue there was a big thread on a forum about it, again he's not a forum user. He and the group of guys that were out there are interested in helping, providing cement, whatever else it takes to get it fixed.

I'm leading a small group of customers out there on Jan 24th, can we have the sign cleaned up and re-painted by then? Meat if you can get it to me I would be glad to get it cleaned up and re-painted. Otherwise it would be great to have you along for the re-install. Thoughts?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
We'd like to help with this as well. Not sure what needs to be done other then dropping it in the hole, but let us know. Maybe we can rent an auger or something if that would help.

Meat, what do you think about re-installing this sign in the coming weeks if the weather permits? Anyone have access to an auger? I'm not too worried about the cold other then letting the cement cure as needed. Thoughts?

<snip>

I'm leading a small group of customers out there on Jan 24th, can we have the sign cleaned up and re-painted by then? Meat if you can get it to me I would be glad to get it cleaned up and re-painted. Otherwise it would be great to have you along for the re-install. Thoughts?

Same weekend as U4 in St. George? If I don't go, I'll come out and help.

Brett

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Same weekend as U4 in St. George? If I don't go, I'll come out and help.

Brett

Drats, that is the same weekend. It might be the only opening I personally have for a couple of months. I guess I need to decide if I can get down to St George, I would really like to support their event and St. George is great wheeling this time of year too!

Meat_

Banned

I'm game to help as long as it's not during the winter con.

I could bring it up to you sometime this week....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... I did hear about how it was torn out. As we suspected (and hoped) there was a rollover at that spot and they did use the sign as an anchor. He's not an internet savvy dude and wasn't sure who to get ahold of. I'm told he called the BLM office (couldn't remember the name on the bottom of the sign once he got home), of course the BLM had no clue what he was talking about and said they didn't have any metal signs near there. Its a crappy deal but he felt bad about it and I don't think he even has a clue there was a big thread on a forum about it, again he's not a forum user. He and the group of guys that were out there are interested in helping, providing cement, whatever else it takes to get it fixed.

That is good news, if someone had purposely torn it out I'b be all over throwing them a blanket party. Glad we learned what happened and he's willing to step up to fix the damage.

That being said, who would hook their winch to a sign, thinking it would be strong enough to pull them back over? :ugh::rolleyes:

Wish I could make it up there for the re-planting, I'll do what I can. I'll try to stay posted when you guys figure out exactly when.

Crinco

Way to go mike :)

When you "clean up" the sign, I would like to vote for a shiney new Powder coating rather than a paint job. Lasts much longer and more durable... and we should make it bright RED or maybe YELLOW :) Something that will stand out and be SEEN this time. When powder coated they will sand blast it first, so I think the only work to get it ready would be to knock off the cement first.
I would like to help out if I can too, soon as we figure out a date.