Egg Beater Build (AKA Scrambler)

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Hey DaveB. I believe we talked about this once before but I couldn't remember what you did. (I was hoping you would respond.. haha) How was the length I have found two other colums. One out of a 97 S10 blazer but we don't think they will work because of the length. That would be nice to have the wiper delay. You really have cruise? :eek: I could used to that! :cool:

The length was OK but I had to use a YJ intermdiate shaft to match things up. I used a TJ steering box to match the YJ shaft. The only fit issue I had was with my auto brake pedal and some of the switches on the column. To fix it I shifted the column mount holes as far up as they would go. Yes my Scrambler has cruise from an XJ and I use it alot on trips. The delay wipers work great but required using a YJ wiper motor and a YJ/XJ wiper control module. The CJ motor doesn't ground the delay sense line in the wiper park position so the delay wipers would only delay once then never stop. There is an RC time delay circuit that charges up to enable the wipers to go and the capacitor has to be discharged each delay cycle. The YJ wiper motor doesn't make as much noise as the old CJ ones which is an added bonus.

Randyzzz

Fully Scrambled
I used an XJ column in mine. To fit the CJ steering box, I used the upper half of the XJ intermediate shaft, a length of DD shaft, and a Borgeson lower joint. You have to trim off the flange at the bottom of the XJ column and use the CJ mounts. The ignition switch plugs right in, so does the turn signal harness. For intermittent wipers you have to use a YJ motor and module. But it's pretty much plug and play.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 22
  • intermediate shaft 002.JPG
    intermediate shaft 002.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 19

webyepn

gone yeepn
thanks DaveB and Randyzzz.. I will take a look into that and see what I can do. I really appreciate all the help!

Randyzzz. Can you send me some more pics of your rig? I like your dash set up and center consule. What motor and trans are you running?

Randyzzz

Fully Scrambled
Thanks. It's been a labor of love (mostly) for the last 3+ years. Did all the design and fab work myself with the exception of gears and trans overhaul. I'm running a 2004 5.3 with 4L60e, Rubicon 241OR case, narrowed J truck 44 and a Waggy 23 out back, 4.56 gears and 2 Ecteds. I'm hoping to have it running within the next few weeks.

Here's a link to the complete build http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19032 Lots of pictures there. I don't want to hog your thread.

2610114190041433204S600x600Q85.jpg

2794456570041433204S600x600Q85.jpg

2670783770041433204S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

webyepn

gone yeepn
That looks so good Randyzzz. Thanks for the link it has given me some much needed inspiration... I have been getting a little discouraged lately. You have done a great job on your Scrambler. I need to update my post on the CJ8 forum.

Thanks again.

cheepin

I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

I'm wanting to put a tilt colum in my CJ but I am having a hard time finding one that will fit. I know that many of you guys have found them out of other vehicles. Could you please help me and let me know what year and make vehicle you pulled yours out of that worked well??? :confused:
I used a column from an '88 chevy crewcab.Pretty much bolted in.The end is different though.

Randyzzz

Fully Scrambled
That looks so good Randyzzz. Thanks for the link it has given me some much needed inspiration... I have been getting a little discouraged lately. You have done a great job on your Scrambler. I need to update my post on the CJ8 forum.

Thanks again.

Thanks! I can't wait to get it running, I buttoned up the wiring today...still need driveshafts and the computer reprogrammed. Don't get discouraged- all good things take work to accomplish.

Bart

That is a sweet 8 for sure. Nice job.

Thanks. It's been a labor of love (mostly) for the last 3+ years. Did all the design and fab work myself with the exception of gears and trans overhaul. I'm running a 2004 5.3 with 4L60e, Rubicon 241OR case, narrowed J truck 44 and a Waggy 23 out back, 4.56 gears and 2 Ecteds. I'm hoping to have it running within the next few weeks.

Here's a link to the complete build http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19032 Lots of pictures there. I don't want to hog your thread.

webyepn

gone yeepn
Ok so its time for an update. I know it doesn't look like much but for about the last two weeks I have been working on fixing the rear end on this thing. It was so out of spuare it was ridiculous..

So I cut off the old beat up out of square rear corners. Also while I was there Chad got looking at the fill in pans that I did and decieded for me that they weren't done right so we did them over..:D

IMG_20110516_202242.jpg

IMG_20110516_202250.jpg

Then I started welding on the new rear corners. You will see that they were off by 1 7/8" on one side and a 1 1/4" on the other.

IMG_20110516_202210.jpg

IMG_20110516_202258.jpg

IMG_20110516_202312.jpg

IMG_20110516_214000.jpg

IMG_20110516_214009.jpg

Bart

Amazing that they were off that much, but nice that you're fixing them the right way. Long process but will be worth it in the end. Hang in there.

webyepn

gone yeepn
Amazing that they were off that much, but nice that you're fixing them the right way. Long process but will be worth it in the end. Hang in there.

Bart, You have no idea.. I know it will be worth it in the end. It was nice seeing you at the show the other day. Thanks for the encourgment.:)

webyepn

gone yeepn
Glad to see you're fixing the corners right. I've seen a bunch of hack jobs when these things get bobbed.

Randyzzz, Ya who ever bobbed this one did a pretty good job on hacking it up thats for sure. Other than some heat shrinking from all of the welding they are all done now. Then it is on to the cage!

webyepn

gone yeepn
So last night we finally got the rear corners all done. We had to do alot of heat shrinking to get them straight again. Its now in primer.

The next agenda on the board is to fit up the soft top and start mesuring for the roll cage. Finally working with somthing other than sheet metal!!!

webyepn

gone yeepn
You have a lot of patience! :cool:

You have know idea!!!:confused: If it wasnt for my buddy making me do everything right I think I would have hacked it together along time ago..:rofl:

He told me that if I wanted his help and if it was going to be done in his shop that I had to do it right or not do it at all.. lol :hickey:

webyepn

gone yeepn
Chad is a good friend, and your rig will be AWESOME.

AMEN to that Bart! I keep telling Chad I don't know how I will ever repay him but one day I will.:D

I will post pics soon of the new rear corners in primer. And then on Saturday I will be working all day on the roll cage. :greg:

webyepn

gone yeepn
So I have picked out my colors for he jeep. I am painting it Subaru WRX blue with some House of Kolor Ice pear over the top to give it a little pop. Then my hinges, Cage, and bumpers are going to be a gun metal metalic. Should look really sharp!!!:cool: